Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J

Backing Up PC's

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I would hate to lose the data on any one of our PC's. Can I centralize something on my home network that would keep a carbon copy of each machine so that in the event of a major crash, I can replace the PC and reinstall the back-up.

Would a home server be needed for that headscratch.gif

NAS network area storage. You can get one from Best Buy for a couple hundred dollars. I use a 2 terabyte by Net Gear. Wonderful piece of gear. 4 swappable drive with raid (selectable). Buffalo makes one that is like 500 gig and very simple. Much easier than a true server to setup and use.

View PostI would hate to lose the data on any one of our PC's. Can I centralize something on my home network that would keep a carbon copy of each machine so that in the event of a major crash, I can replace the PC and reinstall the back-up.

Would a home server be needed for that headscratch.gif

Windows Home Server will automate your day to day data backups, and is an excellent storage solution, and if your workstations are XP Pro Sp3, Vista/7 Business or higher, WHS software allows you to remotely access those workstations via browser from anywhere you can connect.

You can buy a complete solution - software and hardware starting at around $350, try Newegg and search for Windows Home Server.

This solution only covers your data, but for complete peace of mind you really need to clone the drives on each workstation, and perform a regular snapshot of each workstation, that way if the workstation drive fails (most common) get a new drive and copy the cloned system back onto the new drive.

For this you will need a USB external hard drive of appropriate size to hold all your workstations** and Acronis True Image Home also from Newegg (around $35.00)

**If you transfer all your data to WHS, each workstation drive now should be realistically less than 100gb and usually a 1Tb external is sufficient.

View PostGet a subscription to one of the many cloud back up services.

Do you know how long it takes to backup say 100Gb to the cloud even using a T1 synchronous, let alone a domestic net connection?

Have you ever successfully restored a client image from WHS or any Windows backup utility? cwm27.gif

Acronis True Image Echo is worth it's weight in gold for disaster recovery, as is Ghost.

If it's just files you are concerned about backing up, google SyncBack. Free, easy to use...icon14.gif

I'm.not interested in just backing things up. I would like to clone the drives.

So,a large external drive and some software is all I need?

Thanks,

J

View PostI'm.not interested in just backing things up. I would like to clone the drives.

So,a large external drive and some software is all I need?

Thanks,

J

Not quite, it depends on how much data is on the drives to be cloned, you add it up.

As I explained the above solution was for data held on WHS and in combination with backing up the operating drives of each workstation.

Without a central data store, the next best thing is to individually clone each drive, they are relatively cheap (500gb is $50-$60), and this is as bulletproof as how often you refresh the cloned drive, so you had better have a regular refresh, or backup up your data to another removable drive.

I personally use this to back up all the servers and workstations I'm responsible for, bare metal clone to a drive for each:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-162-_-Product

If you have a drive crash, just swap the crashed one with its clone and boot, then restore your data from the removeable.

Acronis have rebranded Acronis Echo (repriced it too at $99), but a cheaper alternative is Casper 6.0

View PostDo you know how long it takes to backup say 100Gb to the cloud even using a T1 synchronous, let alone a domestic net connection?

I don't recall exactly. I backed up about 70 gig to the cloud. The program runs in the background and nobody noticed any network slowdowns because of it. I was using a cable modem setup. Just let it run 24/7 and it takes care of itself. If you do not have off site backups --you are not really protected from data disasters and yes, you can backup the cloned images to the cloud. YMMV

View PostI don't recall exactly. I backed up about 70 gig to the cloud. The program runs in the background and nobody noticed any network slowdowns because of it. I was using a cable modem setup. Just let it run 24/7 and it takes care of itself. If you do not have off site backups --you are not really protected from data disasters and yes, you can backup the cloned images to the cloud. YMMV

280 gb - approx 37 hours using a T1 (around 1.5 synchronous) there were slowdowns - even giving the app link a low priority in the router - while incremental backups are much smaller - average 6 hours, I like the physicality of a backup drive, rotated daily and taken offsite.

I use Apricorn Aegis Bio drives, small, and reliable, and secure.

Get a large capacity external HDD and Acronis True Image Home software. Easy peasy!

I have a 500gb HDD at work and have about 10 different PCs/laptops backed up on it.