Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hairy Beast

Shark Horror - SA Bather Torn To Pieces In Waist Deep Water by Great White.

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

South Africans call it "The Bitey Season" and it appears to have begun in earnest.

A middle aged man was killed off Fish Hoeck beach in South Africa yesterday. He was standing in waist deep water adjusting his swim goggles when an 18 foot Great White Shark grabbed him and ripped him apart in front of the entire beach. From South Africa's News 24:

Fish Hoek - "It came from below and grabbed the man. Part of his body was gone," said a woman who watched in horror as a shark ripped apart a tourist in Fish Hoek.

The victim, from Zimbabwe, was on holiday in Cape Town for the month to attend the wedding of his life partner's daughter.

According to Ian Klopper, NSRI spokesperson, the victim was attacked at about 15:15 where he was standing chest-deep in the water, about 100m from the beach, as he was busy adjusting his diving goggles. Lifeguards later found only the goggles.

Alison Kock from the Shark Spotter Programme and Shark Centre in Kalk Bay, said he was presumably attacked by a Great White shark. "They are capable of such an attack," she said.

Stood near rocks

A witness, Kathy Geldenhuys from Fish Hoek, who was sitting on the beach and saw the attack, said the man was in the water up to about his waist.

"He was standing near the rocks and my husband said, if a shark should go there now, he wouldn't have a chance."

According to her, just after her husband said these words, they saw an "incredibly big" shark attacking the man. "It came from below and grabbed the man. Part of his body was gone."

Geldenhuys says the shark turned around and pulled the rest of the man's body down into the water.

"I yelled: there's a shark in the water, there's a shark. There were about 30 people in the water then. They only got out of the water when I started yelling."

The water where the man had been standing was dark with blood.

Recent shark attacks

This is not the first shark attack on the False Bay coast.

Tyna Webb, 78, died on November 15 2004 when a Great White shark attacked her at Sunny Cove near Fish Hoek.

Henri Murray, 22, a Matie, was ripped apart by a Great White shark in June 2005 at Miller's Point near Simon's Town.

The Paralympic swimmer Achmat Hassiem, 27, lost his leg on August 13 2006 in an attack by a Great White shark at Sunrise beach near Muizenberg. He and his brother, Taariq, were taking part in a lifeguard exercise when the incident took place.

Andrew Smith (14 at the time) was surfing at the Point in Strand in November 2007 when a shark got hold of both his feet. He survived fortunately, with only scars to show for the ordeal.

Poor bugger definitely got et. I wouldn't swim at that beach if you paid me.

View PostI don't doubt it, but how does an 18' shark come from below when the man was standing in 4' of water headscratch.gif

Pool Sharks are nimble.

How the HELL do you NOT see that coming in 4' of water???

View PostI don't doubt it, but how does an 18' shark come from below when the man was standing in 4' of water headscratch.gif

I was wondering the same thing and realized that she was all confused, which isn't surprising. He obviously got attacked and eaten. But the shark certainly couldn't have come from below him. So, as is often the case, eyewitness reports are the least reliable indicator of fact.

View PostBy being busy adjusting your diving goggles. cwm15.gif

Pfft.

Is the guy dead? Was he chomped in half??? I love shark attacks. Brutal beasties.....

View Postpictures...we need pictures...video would be even more awesomer

Yeah it would. I bet that guy never even knew what hit him. Instant shock. I bet your brain cannot comprehend what is going on when something like this happens.

View PostPfft.

Is the guy dead? Was he chomped in half??? I love shark attacks. Brutal beasties.....

you asked how he couldn't see it coming and I explained. I figure this is just part of life here on Earth. Humans might be at the top of the food chain, but we're not the only critters on it and sometimes the other critters on it disagree.

View Postyou asked how he couldn't see it coming and I explained. I figure this is just part of life here on Earth. Humans might be at the top of the food chain, but we're not the only critters on it and sometimes the other critters on it disagree.

We are ONLY at the top if we have a gun. Naked and weaponless....we are about as useless as you can get. Hell...we don't even have hair really. Zero claws...crappy teeth.......not even a horn.

View PostWe are ONLY at the top if we have a gun. Naked and weaponless....we are about as useless as you can get. Hell...we don't even have hair really. Zero claws...crappy teeth.......not even a horn.

We were at the top of the food chain a lot longer than just the time we've had gunpowder and guns. Just sayin'.

With just sticks and rocks, we're complete badasses.

View PostWe are ONLY at the top if we have a gun. Naked and weaponless....we are about as useless as you can get. Hell...we don't even have hair really. Zero claws...crappy teeth.......not even a horn.

Speak for yourselfcwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gif

View PostWe were at the top of the food chain a lot longer than just the time we've had gunpowder and guns. Just sayin'.

With just sticks and rocks, we're complete badasses.

With TIME.

I'm saying one on one. With no time to prepare weapons. Even if you grab a rock or a stick. You think you can beat a Lion? That lion would tear you apart.

Unless you could break his neck.