Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tradrodz

sealed bearings

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Just wondering, is there such a thing as completely sealed bearing for a 704? I'm pretty sure I've heard of people using them but wanted confirmation. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages? and if I choose to go with one where do I order one and is there a part #? or how do I go about ordering the correct sze? thanks

Just wondering, is there such a thing as completely sealed bearing for a 704?
There are sealed bearings in most sizes and configurations. I am pretty sure there are ones that fit the 704.

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages?
Advantages are keeping water out and better protection of lubrication. Disadvantages are the bearings don't spin as freely (feel heavier), not as durable as regular shielded ones, and removing the seal to re-lubricate needs special tools or it could get damaged.

where do I order one
I get them from local suppliers in Europe. Not sure where you can find where you are, but your best bet is to check the nearest stockiest on the major bearing makers' sites, and give them a call. Hopefully others here can give you sources.

how do I go about ordering the correct sze?
You need to measure three dimensions of your old bearing: Inside diameter, outside diameter, and width of the bearing (thickness). With these three figures you can order one that will fit perfectly.

Hope this helps smile.gif

View PostJust wondering, is there such a thing as completely sealed bearing for a 704? I'm pretty sure I've heard of people using them but wanted confirmation. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages? and if I choose to go with one where do I order one and is there a part #? or how do I go about ordering the correct sze? thanks

I seriously doubt that there is a completely sealed bearing. Water will eventually get in, and to make matters worse the seal will prevent the water from getting back out/drying up.

Most seals in ball bearings is to prevent dirt (grit) from entering the bearing.

View PostSealed is a relative term, I think.

Sometimes a shielded bearing is mistaken for a sealed bearing.

Some ball bearings are shielded with a metal shield sometimes called a dust cover.

Sealed ball bearings have a rubber seal which keep the inside of the bearing free of all solid contamination as long as the seals last.

A reel is not going to be subjected to much water pressure but I'm not sure a ball bearing sealed with rubber seals will keep water out.

Sealed bearing with rubber seals:

1030_DGBB_rgb_rdax_95.jpg

Shielded bearing with metal shields:

62xxzz.jpg

If you're looking for a good combination of corrosion resistance and functionality I would recommend a shielded steel bearing. Remove one of the shields and clean out the bearing with lighter fluid or carb cleaner. Pack the bearing with silicone grease or Corrosion-X and reinstall the removed shield.

Regarding sources, try Googling Boca Bearings. I order the majority of my replacement bearings from them. VXB also does bearings, but I don't have experience with them.

Evan

i pick the metal shield out of one side of all my penn 704/706/710's.. i clean them and re pack them.. leave the shield off and put that open side inside the reel.. if the bearing shield is the ones with the clip i remove both sides, clean re pack then put both back on..

View Posti pick the metal shield out of one side of all my penn 704/706/710's.. i clean them and re pack them.. leave the shield off and put that open side inside the reel.. if the bearing shield is the ones with the clip i remove both sides, clean re pack then put both back on..

I think Alan Tani did an in-depth look at bearings that is posted over in the Reel Repair forum.

Basically there are three types of shielded bearings. Pressed-in wax/rubber shields, pressed-in metal shields and clipped-in metal shields.

As ghostfish advocates, removal of one shield permanently is the beat option for both pressed-in style shielded bearings. Always make sure the unshielded side is oriented away from the area most likely to get wet. I much prefer the clip style bearings and most of the ones I get from Boca are ordered open and dry (only one shield and no oil or grease in the bearing.

I could go to much more detail, but you should check out Alan's post. It is easier to understand and better laid out than I could do it.

Evan