Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaoma

New reels splurge....

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Since I make my own rods, I need new reels and today I have got two new reels...but the one I like more I can not use.

Daiwa CV-X 203A (silver color, right hand). The reel has been discontinued a while ago but I like it a lot and since I found it NIB for a good price I got it but...is the right hand retrive type and can not use it. Don't ask why but I can only retrive with the left hand. Will keep it as a collector item for now.

Shimano Cardiff 301A (left hand). Will use this one for the new rod and see how it goes.

I am a Daiwa fan more than Shimano, but both names are top of the line and can not go wrong...I hope. I also have a Daiwa Luna 253L and a Daiwa Tierra low profile baitcasters.

Since both are NIB and never used, and never used any type like them before, which one is a better reel from the two? (retorical question since I can not use the Daiwa). Are the round baitcaster reels better than the low profile baitcasters? How and why?

Any help and info is appreciated. Thanks.

Exceptions to every generalization, but 1) more line capacity is better, 2) metal is better than plastic, 3) bigger/stronger gears and drags are better, 4) Lighter and more ergonomic is better. Three out of of four go to round reel style.

View PostExceptions to every generalization, but 1) more line capacity is better, 2) metal is better than plastic, 3) bigger/stronger gears and drags are better, 4) Lighter and more ergonomic is better. Three out of of four go to round reel style.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Do some research on the Shimano Curado 301DSV,a great left handed baitcaster with big line capacity (190 yds of 14# mono I think) yet it has a low profile.The review on tackle tour was outstanding.

UPDATE!!!

The order has changed:

Daiwa CV-X 203A (NIB) is up for sale since I can not use a right hand retrive reel. I don't even try.

Daiwa TD Luna 253L (NIB) is up for sale. I want to get a TD Luna 203L since the 253 is too big for what I need.

Daiwa Tierra 153HL is the one I use all the time and love it.

Shimano Cardiff 301A have sold it to a friend. I am a Daiwa fan at heart.

Daiwa Ryoga Bay Jigging have just ordered it and should be here in a few days (pic below)