Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
postpossum

Spooling time! Picking line for a surfcasting overhead..

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi brains trust! Was hoping to get some advice on line for a conventional reel.

Belated xmas arrived today- 1 x Saltiga Surf 30, 1 x Saltiga Surf 5000 to mate to twin fast action Osprey 12" (one spinning, one conventional) rods I bought around 10 years ago, and recently had overhauled with Fuji alconite guide upgrades biggrin.gif

It's coming down to line choice now- on previous reels (spinning) I've been using and am quite happy with the yellow Tufline XP 30lb braid. Was most probably going to go with the same for the 5000, with some mono backing, but so far I'm a bit stumped re spooling the 30.

I'm not experienced enough to categorically rule out ever having a major overrun in the future, so am wondering if light braid is an option.

I'm guessing the sensible thing is 240yds of 25lb, or 200yds of 30lb mono (any recommendations? Researching, it seems Ande's the way to go, but it's not the most readily available mono here).

I like the sensitivity and zero stretch of braid, but laying thin line without a level wind would be a bit of a pain. Also, I'm thinking about the possibility of line cutting back into itself and causing a breakoff.

Is it a feasible option to use heavy braid e.g. 65lb-70lb (considering it's still thinner than 25lbmono)?

Ideal test for the conditions here would be an abrasion resistant 30lb- to handle the numerous rays and sharks which get there before a fish does.

Casting rig would either be a gar on ganged hooks or a live herring or yakka (not sure what they're called in the States, but it's slightly larger than a herring) with a 5 or 6 sinker.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!!

View PostHi

Is it a feasible option to use heavy braid e.g. 65lb-70lb (considering it's still thinner than 25lbmono)?

Ideal test for the conditions here would be an abrasion resistant 30lb- to handle the numerous rays and sharks which get there before a fish does.

!!

Yes you can use heavier braid, but lighter braid (30-50) might be equally common and gives more reel capacity. Some swear by braid, and some swear at it -- it's all personal preference.

Your main line doesn't need to be thick to handle the abrasion from fish if you use a shock leader.

Thanks for the quick reply!

My main reservations re thinner braid is the line cutting back into itself if it's slightly loose, and also the practical side of things when it comes to laying the line when reeling it in. Wondering if the thin line might be a recipe for a cut thumb..

I do prefer braid, I guess I'm not sure if it's the best decision when it comes down to practicality with an overhead.

I think you should go with the heavier braid like 65lb. like you said its still thinner than 30lb mono.A shock leader is a good option to prevent cut fingers while landing bigger fish. The heavier line will also be easier to lay on the spool.

Thanks! I do like the idea of not having line memory and curls. So far I'm leaning on the heavier braid idea too. Probably going to head into a store and see what feels like it won't take off my laying thumb smile.gif

I use Spiderwire Stealth in my 2 Saltists. Given you have a higher grade reel, I'd not stop at anything less than Daiwa Samurai braid in 55# or 70# for the Saltiga Surf 30. Expensive and it'll take the whole 300 yds (70# - 55# you'd back with mono). Stiffer less expensive braid will give you casting problems. Rounder more supple braids are much tamer for conventionals.

When using braid, there are many things you have to look out for. If you're not familiar with how it acts on conventional reels then I'd stick with mono.

View PostA wise man told me to use a golf glove when casting braid.wink.gif

No need to use a glove. I never use a glove but I use a 10 yd. shock leader for abrasion resistance and grip. If you have a smooth braid such as Spiderwire Stealth or Daiwa Samurai braid - you can thumb the line as long as it's at the end of the arc (not spinning fast). Therefore, you need a good mag system. I cast braid a lot on long, stiff distance rods (13' 3" and 14') so it's rev'ing a couple thousand RPM. The only way to not run into problems is by having an efficient braking system.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

----

It was between that and the 60, but the 50lb would have fit 300yds with a couple layers of mono backing, so went with that.

I've used Tufline and Bionic braid previously in 20lb and 30lb, but comparing them (may be apples to oranges), this Daiwa SW8 stuff is pretty schmick. Can't wait to have a cast.. may be able to get a couple in on the weekend!

View PostThanks for the replies everyone!

---

It was between that and the 60, but the 50lb would have fit 300yds with a couple layers of mono backing, so went with that.

I've used Tufline and Bionic braid previously in 20lb and 30lb, but comparing them (may be apples to oranges), this Daiwa SW8 stuff is pretty schmick. Can't wait to have a cast.. may be able to get a couple in on the weekend!

That's very similar to the Daiwa Samurai and Saltiga Boat braid. They all use 8 weaves, very round and supple. The best IMO. Although in the US, we can only get the Samurai, Saltiga Surf and Saltiga Boat braid.

Haven't seen the Samurai, but in Daiwa flavour at the tackle store, there was Saltiga Boat, Saltiga Surf (this was originally my first choice before I researched specifics, but they're in lighter test and only in 200yd spools.), Sensor, a tournament Sensor and the SW8. The Sensor was about 150% the cost of the SW8, so thought I was making a sensible choice.

On a bit of a tangent, after checking a few sites online I'm amazed how line and other fishing gear is so much cheaper in the US, even after postage! Unfair!! smile.gif