Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MightyMouse

Condtioning and your style of fishing... serious question!

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

The various ways that many anglers can enjoy fishing the suds (okay boat guys, the offshore grounds, tootongue.gif) offer many unique opportunities... and many various physical challenges...

even for the the guys that work out regularly, have any of you found some aspect of conditioning, either cardio, or strength/muscular to make your experience better?

I imagine that it comes in handy if you regularly hoof it for long distances over the sand, find yourself jetty hopping, etc...

physical fitness makes you a mental powerhouse smile.gif

i work out quite a bit, no supplements other than a multivitamin. when i fish i only get tired for going nonstop for a few hours. i enjoy the hike up and down the beach, wading through water, hopping rocks and chasing seagulls down the beach with my dog as we move spot to spot.

get your cardio up. work your legs. squats are amazing. burpees are a total body workout. when you can do 50 each, bodyweight only, you will feel better and know that when it's time to chase those fish down the beach at 5am before work at 8, you'll know you won't be a zombie all day.

View Postphysical fitness makes you a mental powerhouse smile.gif

i work out quite a bit, no supplements other than a multivitamin. when i fish i only get tired for going nonstop for a few hours. i enjoy the hike up and down the beach, wading through water, hopping rocks and chasing seagulls down the beach with my dog as we move spot to spot.

get your cardio up. work your legs. squats are amazing. burpees are a total body workout. when you can do 50 each, bodyweight only, you will feel better and know that when it's time to chase those fish down the beach at 5am before work at 8, you'll know you won't be a zombie all day.

Not bad advice, really... I was using a home gym pretty hard... great for upper body... lower body, not so much... proportionally speaking, my lower body was so out-of-whack weak compared to upper body I stopped using that home gym for lower body, and invested in some power block dumb bellsicon14.gificon14.gif

I'm still upping the cardio... but the added variety of my "strength cardio" definitely helps push both... I don't try to ease up on the weight, just push through the cycles of the circuit...

i try to get my legs in shape, lots of walking on rocks and wading to rocks. i have bad feet and my knees really take a beating during that kind of fishing. the better shape my legs are in the less my knees hurt.

I got fat this past year, definitley made my fishing harder than it was in my single no kid years.

I used to be able to hop around on the rocks like a mountain goat, Now Im like a walrus cwm27.gif

p.s. ever seen a fat mick in a wetsuit? PukingSmiley.gif

View PostThe various ways that many anglers can enjoy fishing the suds (okay boat guys, the offshore grounds, tootongue.gif) offer many unique opportunities... and many various physical challenges...

even for the the guys that work out regularly, have any of you found some aspect of conditioning, either cardio, or strength/muscular to make your experience better?

I imagine that it comes in handy if you regularly hoof it for long distances over the sand, find yourself jetty hopping, etc...

30 in a few monthscwm27.gifcwm27.gif You're done. Do you have insurance? Start getting some replacement parts.

as somebody who is a personal trainer, hikes the appalachian trail for a week out of the year, and hikes on a daily basis, conditioning is ALL about leg work! by working your legs, first you increase overall testosterone levels in your body temporarily for the workout and enables you to sustain higher levels in your blood on a regular basis, huge benefit. also by working your legs, you engage core stabilization muscles, to lower occurrences of slipping and tripping on rocks and filling those waders.

you also have to make sure you're stretching on a regular basis to help prevent joint pain! VERY IMPORTANT! strong legs with 0 flexibility is a disaster waiting to happen.

you can check out www.muscleandfitness.com they have a bunch of free workouts from intense gymrats to couch potatoes. check it out and good luck to everybody!

I stopped drinking cans and now use bottles or a heavy, 3oz Beer mug. Frosted of course. I'm pretty ripped.

I mow the lawn also. While drinking.highfive.gif

View PostHow far can you carry 50 lbs? biggrin.gif Test yourself then imagine trying to do it after 10 hours of beating the crap out of yourself.

I can carry 50lbs forever. But I'm a treeguy......we get to carry logs ALL day..........you get used to it.

Paddling 2-3 miles one way to get to your spot, then paddling around to fish, then paddling back 2-3 miles keeps my upper body in pretty good shape...You can spot a kayak angler by a strong upper body and little tooth pick legsbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am a commercial crabber in the summer, notstop movement for 8-10 hours 7 months of the year, hooking pots, shaking em, baiting, hauling bushes of crabs or boxes of soft crabs, I stay in decent shape. In the winter I kayak alot. I never do any dedicated conditioning only exercises.

View PostAwwwwww crap... cwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gif

No insurance, better start saving. The bone bling ain't cheap. Those hip caps are 25 large apiece, without installation, but man are they smooth beers.gifshaky.gif

View PostHow far can you carry 50 lbs? biggrin.gif Test yourself then imagine trying to do it after 10 hours of beating the crap out of yourself.

I could carry 50 lbs all day, but like I said, I work pretty hard all year...but then on the other hand, Ill probably be crippled by the time Im 50cwm31.gif Thats why Im in college, I guess you hit an age where grunt work isnt fun anymore.

Mokes, dont pull any muscles mowing the lawn...while drinking...biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifhighfive.gif