Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Roto Router?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have an older rental house with drain issues throughout. Virtually every drain in the house is slow. I want to have all the drain lines snaked out. The interior wall pipes are copper, the main drains in the basement are cast.

I am thinking of calling Roto Router. Anybody have any thoughts on this positive or negative? Would a regular plumber provide this service? Options?

Thanks

Alan

Do the drains take a few seconds before they go slow? Or is it turn water on and a backup is starting? At the lowest drain will it still drain when all the others are backed up and running slow? Is there any problem with the toilets? Can you pour 2 5gal buckets of water into a toilet as fast as you can cause you to cringe?

If the big drains work & the little ones (sinks) are slow, pull the traps clean and look for crap where the pipes go into the walls.

If the big drains are slo, get a pro.

the toilet too or just the sinks and tub?? i'd check the traps first.

most plumbers do drain cleaning service but roto rooter guarantees their work. at least last i heard they did.

Thanks for the reply. It's all the drains in the house, all the sinks and the two tubs in particular are bad. They are sssslllllooooowwww. Like barely draining slow. Cleaning the traps helped a little, but did not solve the problem to my satisfaction.

Is there any truth to the idea that older pipes (60 years) should not be snaked with cutters?

Alan

If the toilets work fine and it is just the small drains, snake them. Don't use drano type stuff, it can harm your pipes.

Unless major structure failure and pipes shifting to work against gravity, it's clean traps and snake to the big pipes.

Several people could have gone bald and filled every drain with hair and soap residue.

It will only cost major money if the big drains (toilets) are not working.

I have an old house also and teh bathtun drain upstairs was always slow...it had one of those stopper type drains and all the hair and who knows what else ends up going in to the pipes to the point where you were standing in filthy water up to your ankles in the shower...hot water and a plunger fixed my problem...it was a pain but i fixed it and bought one of those mesh traps that needs to be cleaned after every single shower....water goes down easy all the time now. I would not snake anything in a old house until you try to pluge the crap out of it first.

If it is a rental house it is the landlords problem, No ?

A quick easy try is to get a gallon of white vinegar and baking soda, start at the farthest drain.

-Spoon a few ounce of baking soda in to the drain and then pour down the vinegar, it will really start to bubble when it stops run hot water that will help break up the congelled soap. Probly have hair also in the drains, you can get a small diameter drain cleaning brush they work great, and follow up w/ the brush after the baking soda and vinegar.

31gU0yUD4JL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

da2481b0c8a07b58297fc110.L._AA280_.jpg

I had an old building with slow drains. I had it snaked by RR a number of times but it would get slow again in a day or two. When I replaced a broken pipe in the basement I noticed it was full of a grey goo that would close right up again after snaking. I got a drain cleaner that is designed to stick to the inside of the pipes and eat this goo. Don't remember the name but there was more than one. You pour it down the drain at bedtime and let it sit all nite. After a week of that treatment, the trouble was fixed and never returned.

If it's all of your drains the problem could be in the piping from the house to the sewer or maybe if it has a single vent that may be blocked. Hire an outfit that can jet it and check it with a cam.

View PostI use Roto Router at the Church all the time. Never a problem, I give the one I use 5 Stars. They might be a franchise, so that may not alway's be the case. smile.gif

My experience with Roto Router is the total opposite. They came to my house 2 years ago to clean out a ground drain that runs under my cellar floor for a cost of ~$300. Made muliple passes with the snake till it was running free then made one last pass with that snake and it got stuck. They wanted to charge me over $3,000 more to dig the concrete floor up to get it out.

Made some phone calls to different drain cleaning companies on the advice of my attorney and was told by all of them that snake should not have been used, the cellar drains used when my house was built was too weak for it and their snake probably went through it. They also said if water was draining just cut the snake and leave it.

So I had them cut the snake and didn't pay them a cent. I won't use them again, lesson learned.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am the landlord here ; ) .

I decided to skip RR and call a plumber who I have used before. I am meeting him at the property tomorrow to go over the situation. In my experience with him he is an honest and reliable guy. I need to have two shower valves replaced anyway that I want him to take care of. From our conversation he agreed to take a look at the drain situation and give me his advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Alan