Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Trailers for Spinnerbaits & Jigs?

20 posts in this topic

I always use trailes on my jigs it gives it that crawfish look I like zoom and yum. I sometimes put a trailer on my spinner baits I have some BPS cajun trailers or I just use a grub or a twin tail but not all the time sometimes I leave them bare.

View PostDo you use trailers on your spinnerbaits and jigs? confused.gif

This FW stuff is getting complicated.headscratch.gif

Spig wink.gif

Not Necessary Lou. Your making it more complicated than it really is. The Secret is SLOW Down. Slow & easy. Your thinking to much. Whats the expression KISS. Freash water fishing is very similer. Plugs ( Crank Baits ) Think what you used in the salt & gear down in size. I have caught 100's of Lg mouth,Sm. mouth perch.carppie ( missed the state record in 1988 by 4ozs.) Walleye ETC. Get a few Crank baits some rubber worms, I always did got with 4" Sluggos, a few spinner baits & a couple of top water baits ( Spooks are good ) And stert off with that. If all falls a night crawler & a split shot will always work. Don't forget the most important thing is Location & presentation.

Maybe we'll fish together some time this year??

I don't use trailers on my spinnerbaits and catch plenty of bass on them.

I prefer to reel slow with an occasional pause. Th efish sometimes grab it on the drop when I pause.

Jig trailers I use some plastic BPS craws with a thick head to hold the hook.

I also use a 1/8 or 1/4 black jighead with a 3' or 4' black over grey shad and catch lots of bass.

For topwater I use a storm chug bug with a twitch twitch pause routine.

I agree with what others have written so far, spinnerbaits seldom and jigs always and usually something craw like.

I'll add that I had some good luck last year threading one of the many shad imitations on a swimming jig fished with a fast retrieve. I accidently stumbled on this when an errant cast landed in some heavy cover and I started to reel it in quickly to keep from being snagged and it was grabbed in a explosive strike. Besides bass I had several muskies cut me off after they pounced on it. Started to use the technique in more open water where I also got some good reaction strikes. Maybe the trailer didn't really matter but I figured a bait fish was a bit more realistic then a 50 mph crawdad zipping along..

Personally it depends on the size and style of the spinnerbait as well as what season. I have been having good luck with the smaller spinnerbaits in 1/8oz to 1/4oz in weight. With the smaller presentation I do add a trailer hook but, not a trailer bait. I think in this case it creates a larger profile than I am looking for. But, the trailer hook does still connect with the short strikes especially in the springtime when fish are more sluggish.

experiment - it can go either way. with spinnerbaits, especially in spring when you want to go slow, i like to add a pork trailer and im convinced its talked some bass off the ledge. ive been using the 6" black widow eels by uncle josh that tim sells here or at least used to. i would also consider a curly tail yum or something similar with scent for a smaller profile if the eel got no love. sometimes the trailer is unneccesary

experiment with jigs too. hair jigs dont need a thing imo but bass jigs you want add a chunk. i prefer pork here too and have had some very interesting results with the 9" black widow eel on a bitsy bug in early spring icon14.gif you can swim it or drag it. the action on those big porks is unreal and we all know bass love pork

assuming you're not talking about trailer hooks, then yes, i usually do use a rubber twin tail trailer on my spinnerbaits. i try to match the the color of the skirt, and usually about 3" long. adds a little buoancy and bulk.

trailer hooks, not very often, unless i'm getting a lot of short strikes.

On a spinnerbait I typically use a curly tail grub. If I'm getting short hits or there is a lot of smaller bait around I'll lose the trailer. On a jig, usually use a paca craw.

Jigman

Sometimes I run a trailer sometimes I don't. THe smaller spinnerbaits I just run a trailer hook. I do this on days when they are being picky and just nipping at the tails.

This is the trailer hook I use on all my spinnerbaits.

Trailer-Hook-SP_grid.jpg

They stay on tight and there is no messing with cutting tubing or whatever to try and keep it on the spinnerbait.

As far as the trailer itself goes, I like any split tail. Mostly I use white and sometimes I color the tips red, green, or purple.

YBT483.jpg

Sometimes I'll take a 6 inch curltail and cut the body down so that just the tail is exposed passed the skirt.

View PostI rarely use trailers and when I do I don't extend them too far from the hook as I have missed lots of short hitting fish.

You can fix that problem by adding a trailer hook like I got pictured above.

View PostYou can fix that problem by adding a trailer hook like I got pictured above.

I have used trailer hooks, thanks, I just don't like them. Makes some of the spinnerbaits feel differently.

experiment with jigs too. hair jigs dont need a thing imo but bass jigs you want add a chunk. i prefer pork here too and have had some very interesting results with the 9" black widow eel on a bitsy bug in early spring icon14.gif you can swim it or drag it. the action on those big porks is unreal and we all know bass love pork

You've got me interested and I'll be adding some pork trailers to my options. I looked up the bitsy bug jig you mentioned and I see they are pretty light at 1/16 oz. I can see this combo settling slowly thru the water column... I haven't used hair jigs to date.. whats your favorite?

I am a spinerbait junkie and typically the only time I use trailers now is when in Canada fishing for northern pike. I use a split tail trailer and a trailer hook. You get dozens of short stikes up there some times.

As for LMB and SMB no real need for the trailer on a spinnerbait. I catch lots of fish and big fish without them.

I agree with the keep it simple. Some black and purple plastic worms and 2 or 3 of the following- spinnerbaits, crankbaits, minnow/jerk baits, spooks and poppers. Colors as always, Natural Perch/Bluegill, Firetiger, Black/Silver.