Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R.R. Bridge Fisher

gas auger

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I bought an old auger over the summer that was sitting unused for 10 or more years. It is an icemaster magnum 3 or something like that.

Well with new gas and a new plug it would not start......so here it goes. I took off the carb and cleaned it the best I could(did not pull it all apart just sprayed it down with carb. cleaner),,Got a new gas filter,gas line,spark plug,did all that and got it running.

Then I sharpened the cutter with a stone and I believe it is ok.I could not find a replacement anywhere.Now the problem the auger starts right up cuts the ice OK...but when the auger gets ready to cut all the way through it bogs down and almost stalls!

Do you think it is the carb gummed up or i it the cutter? Not sure where to go from here. I tried tweaking the carb on the ice but it seems ok.... Not sure what to do from here?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

View PostI bought an old auger over the summer that was sitting unused for 10 or more years. It is an icemaster magnum 3 or something like that.

Well with new gas and a new plug it would not start......so here it goes. I took off the carb and cleaned it the best I could(did not pull it all apart just sprayed it down with carb. cleaner),,Got a new gas filter,gas line,spark plug,did all that and got it running.

Then I sharpened the cutter with a stone and I believe it is ok.I could not find a replacement anywhere.Now the problem the auger starts right up cuts the ice OK...but when the auger gets ready to cut all the way through it bogs down and almost stalls!

Do you think it is the carb gummed up or i it the cutter? Not sure where to go from here. I tried tweaking the carb on the ice but it seems ok.... Not sure what to do from here?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

small engines aren't my strong suit, but you can look at the chips to see if it is properly sharpened- they should not be too small, and it should not jam when it starts to bite in

those blades are best sharpened by machine and are easy to get wrong

but if i had to guess, i bet it's the carb

My bet is the carb is running too rich - lean it out.

Google Jack's Small Engines to identify your carb and get instructions on how to service it.

could be a few things im having similar problems with mine, blades may be dull/not sharpened correctly, look up company and try to find new blades, powerhead not producing enough speed to finish the hole, mabe the pitch of the auger is off. im getting a new set of blades this weekend i hope, and if that dont work end of season everything gets sent out for serviceing

what is the exact model, should have a sticker on it somewhere. mine does the same thing, but just got new blades so if that doesnt do it i have to send the auger back to the company and the powerhead to my local tecumsah service center

'Binding' at breakthrough is not unusual. Same thing happens when 'drilling' Wood and Metal if you don't ease up on the cutting pressure as you cut through.

View Postya it bogs down then i gotta go up and down playing with the throttle to get through.

It could be the blade It feels razor sharp but I dont know

suggestion:

when the blades feel like they are starting to go through, ease up a bit so they don't bite too hard into the bottom edge

also-

when it goes through all the way, let it go down a foot or so and when you pull it out, the extra water will help wash the shavings and chips out of the hole

How does it idle? How many pulls till it starts? Are you leaving the CHOKE on? Or the choke could be sticking in a halfway position...????

It sounds like it is an older model. Let it warm up pretty good before cutting holes.

Does the auger have a point that the blade follows? This could be dull as well. I've seen it happen.

But, it sounds to me that the idle screw just needs adjusting.....try 1/4 turn clockwise (in) and see if that helps. If the auger doesn't have enough torque when it is needed most (to go through the ice) then adjust your idle screw in a little.

So we took the carb apart and cleaned out the jet.....was not bad at all. Gave the carb a good cleaning,fixed the re-coil on the pull start,put it all back together went out tonight to test it and......the same thingheadscratch.gif

What the! I flipped it over to inspect the cutter when I noticed the paint didnt match. It seems when I put the cutter back on after I sharpened it I put I on the top rather than the bottombeers.gif anyway 2 bolts moved cutter to correct spot and it seems fine! what a bonehead move!!

Thanks for the suggestions Im going to hit it hard this weekend the ice that is not the booze....well one never knows

hey let me know how it works, looks like i fixed it, was gona rip apart the carb, looked underneath at the throtle cable to the thumb control and noticed that it wasnt wot about 1/8" more to go, so made some adjustments and tested thing runs like a champ, but havent chopped ice since the adjustment, gona head out monday to test it