Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VooDoo Chile

Indian River Inlet should be featured in Saltwater Sportsman

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

In the Saltwater Sportsman, a few issues back. There was a story about catching eleven different species of fish from the Texas jetties. I thought that sounded impressive, until I started counting how many different fish I have caught at Indian River Inlet.

I have caught twelve different fish there. ( striper, tog, trigger, summer flounder, bluefish, weakfish, speckled trout, oyster cracker, hickory shad, black sea bass, croaker, and cow nosed ray)

I have seen but not caught seven other types of fish. (smooth and spiny dogfish, various sharks, eel, black drum, sheepshead, and spadefish)

That's an impressive variety. Have I missed any others?

Not that it is an every day occurance but there have been a few sturgeon caught there over the years. And I have also witnessed but have not caught parrotfish, grouper, porgys.

And although I don't think anybody has accually caught one I have seen makos cruising the end of the jetty.

I have been lucky enough over the years to have been in the right place at the right time to land three false albacore from the inlet. In addition I have witnessed several small cobia and pollock landed. I know for sure that over the years several tarpon have been spotted, but to my knowledge none have ever been hooked.

when a national sportman's media outlet (tv show, magazine, whatever) comes to the Delmarva area, they usually are only interested in one thing... HUGE Chesapeake Bay stripers. On ocasion some good national writers report on the offshore action. The Eastern Shore does not get its just due for the variety of gamefishes it offers, but oh well! I for one, am more than ok with keeping the coastal fishing a secret! That does not mean I wouldn't be interested in watching or reading about it.

View PostThe Eastern Shore does not get its just due for the variety of gamefishes it offers, but oh well! I for one, am more than ok with keeping the coastal fishing a secret!

I am all for that