Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperboy10

so frustrated!!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

decided to pre-tie some leaders and got some 50 lb test and 80 lb test from the basement and started tying a palomar to a swivel and thats were the frustration starts! i dont know if its me but i cant get the palomar to conch down tightly then just too keep me in shape i tied an improved clinch onto a snap and that got really frustrating because the line kept trying to wind itself up since it had ben stored on a spool! so im just wondering which knots you guys use for making leaders and how many turns of an improved clinch i should make!

thanks alot!!

What are you fishing for that requires 80 pound test leader,generally tying any kind of not with i presume is 80 pound mono leader material is going to be a little tricky.A improved clinch is anywhere from 5 to 7 turns but not needed with that pound test,consider crimping.One more thing, practice learning the san diego jam knot and the rapala knot for certain types of lures.But 1st thing is why 50 and 80, then i could determine what knots you should use.

Thick mono/fluoro/perlon is tougher to tie. When tying the palomar with think leader material, I work on each individual "leg" (main line & tag lines) and pull them so that they are becoming evenly cinched down before really cranking down. IMHO, I think after 40 lbs, the palomar needs more finesse to get a nice, tight, round knot.

When you use braid or lighter mono you don't really have to, but for me this method works. I also use a pair of pliers to hold the swivel and wrap the main line around something heavy & stationary (like a bench-mounted vise or some other post).

For the improved clinch knot, I use only 3 to 4 turns on leaders that are between 50 & 80 lbs. and leave an 1/8" tag. If this is still tough to do, try a uni knot.

Make sure you spit on the knot section before tightening!

thanks for the help ill try lowering the mono leader to 30 or maybe 20? what knot do you guys use for the leader to swivel and the leaser to snap? can you use a palomar for both of theese knots or is an improved clinch better for mono?

View Postshark fishing?

nope, i just read zeno's book and he said stripers arent leader shy most of the time and to be perfectly honest id rather not loose fish cause my leader rubbed against a rock

i usually only go as high as 60 and i fish rocky areas alllll the time. the key isn't super thick line, it's checking your leaders constantly to make sure that they're not shredding. a fish won't break off a line that's 60 lbs if it's not damaged, and you can tie better knots with it. good luck with your choice smile.gif you'll find what's best for you as you fish

I use 80 or a 100 lb mono for bait rigs...I like added streght

50 or 60 is usualy good for rocks.

Flouro is the best invention ever created to separate money from an angler with zero in return...unless I am looking for a weakfish in back bay, total waste of money

If you have a 40 lb striper thrashing around your feet in the wash, or beside your kayak, leader in hand, you need a strong leader. Where I fish, 60-80 leader is normal for striper, and 60-80 and even 100+ is used for fish finder rigs for bull reds and big black drum.

I used a Uni knot for my striper leaders this winter, and they held up perfectly to my 45", and were easy to tie with my 60lb mono leader material.

Shipwreck on here told me another great knot for heavy mono is the improved clinch knot, using 3 1/2 turns for 60lb test and 2 1/2 turns for 80lb. I tried them along with my Uni knots, and they are very easy to tie.

I like the concept of the Uni knot better, how it gets tighter with pressure, and just cant slip, but many use the Clinch knot with great results.

IMO the Palomar is best for braid, I use it for tying on my main lines, which are usually braid.

Once you go over 50# test it becomes nearly impossible to tie a palomar without lubrication.

The best stuff I've found for this is fly line dressing, the cheaper the better.