Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dbranco

Does anyone rent trailers??

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I just bought a 21' Hydra sports WA in Jersey and would like to pick her up and drop her off at my house...

I have 2001 chevy 4 door duramax that can tow a house..

Or is there any places you would suggest to buy a used trailer. I plan on keeping it up in a rack in CT so I will need it twice a year.

Thanks in advance.

One reason is to bring the boat home for winter so I can work on it if I need to. Plus it would save me 600-700 for winter storage. I have tons of space in my yard.

Maybe this time I will have to find someone to haul it to the marina and loeave her there till I find a trailer this spring time.

Do the numbers. It might be cheaper to use a hauler in the long run than to buy, register and maintain a trailer to use 2x a year. A good hauler can get you in and out in no time and will treat you well if they know they get 2 jobs a year. Try Hostar for blocks and stands or pick them up used. Store the boat slightly bow high so that the snow and rain run off if not shrink wrapped. Make sure you block it high enough to put the engine all the way down to avoid water freezing in any exposed spaces.

If you have the room I think the trailer is a great option. I keep my boat on a trailer off season but I don't have room in my yard to keep either the trailer or boat & trailer. I pay 1200$ a year to keep the trailer in a boat yard in season & boat & trailer winter.

With the trailer in your yard you save fees, haulin, blocking, you can take the boat/motor to be serviced you can make road trips to fish hot spotsa a few hundred mile from your home port.

O'D

To get the boat from NJ to MA you could use uship.com. Its pretty easy, start an account for free. Post boat size and where the boat will be picked up and dropped off. And shippers acutally bid how much for the job. Nice system they have going.

Where did you buy the boat in NJ? I would first check to see if they rent boat trailers. Not sure they do, but the first place I would check is Hecht Trailers in Toms River. Or borrow one from a friend.

If you want to purchase a trailer, call Camp Marine in Pt. Pleasant. They sell new trailers but may have some used or left over. Great guys and reasonable prices.

But if you want to hire someone to haul it, I would think it would cost significant coin to bring it all the way to you. I do have somone that I used when I didn't have a trailer. I would recomend him since he does a great job and the cost was fair. Shoot me a PM and I will send you his website and contact information. You want someone that does this for a living and is insured.

Good luck and congrats on your new boat. Did you get the 2000 or the 2003 or something else? I have a Hydrasports and I love it. They are great boats.

Tom

There are a few things to think about. I pay $135.00 one-way from the boat yard to the ramp. ( only about a 1/4 mile ) so thats $270.00 in & out.

I pay $560.00 to store it in the winter. & $1500.00 to dock for the season. All are the cheapest around. If your planning on keeping the boat for a number of years & you say you have room to store it you may want to buy a trailer. A desent trailer will cost you at least $2500.00 They wanted $5,000 for mine because I would need a bigger trailer & probably a dual axel & my problem is my Truck can only tow 5000lb Max & I would need a 6500 towing rate & also have no where to store it. Trailers are nice. You can travel the boat around & you would save a bundle if you launched it instead of summer dockage. Also can be a PITA launching at times! You have to deside what is best for you.

I am actually going to put in an offer for the 2005 with the 200HP etec tomorrow.. We'll see what happens...

Dan

TOMTOM can you send me some info on the trrailer place??

View PostI am actually going to put in an offer for the 2005 with the 200HP etec tomorrow.. We'll see what happens...

Dan

TOMTOM can you send me some info on the trrailer place??

Better choice. Good luck.

I just PMed you the information for the boat trailer and the trailer rental place. I wasn't sure which you wanted.

Tom

Haulers use adjustable trailers. To use a standard trailer, it would have to be set up for your specific boat. Since a trailer has to be adjusted to fit, you won't have an easy time renting one unless you happen to find somebody who has a trailer set up for a similar boat and they will rent/lend it to you. There is also a liability issue should something happen enroute.

A hauler will transport and block you boat for you and is worth the money.

Decent used trailers are hard to come by and it is difficult to judge the condition of a used trailer especially if it is steel. A new trailer for your boat would run approx $2,000 to $3,000 so decide if that is worth the cost vs hauling twice a year.

I was able to buy a used trailer from a large boat dealer in Rhode Island a few years back. They took it in trade with a boat and for what ever reason hung into it and used it in their yard. I don't know if it is common practice, but I saved big money over buying new and the tralier was only a few years old.

Regards,

Bob