Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
55chev

A question for all you guys with kids...

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

How old were the young'ns the first time you took them fishing? I'm interested in ages for all types of fishing...freshwater, surf, boat, etc. My son will be 11 months old on the 15th and I'm anxiously waiting for the time I'll get to spend with him fishing and hunting! Before you all tell me I'm nuts, I realize he' still too young and am not going to put him on the boat and take him over to Block Island for the day, but has anyone started their kids this young?

I just can't help thinking about taking him with me. My wife tells me I'm nuts and to slow down but I can't help myself...he's already got a 50cc 4-wheeler, his first fishing rod and reel, his first .22 (which was mine when I was a little guy). I know he can't use this stuff yet but I love buying it and looking ahead. Obviously he's our first and it's hard not to spoil him!

Listen to Mrs. 55Chevbiggrin.gif

Seriously many guys make the mistake of forcing fishing too early. start with the expectation that two minutes after you set up your kid will lose interest. Go for easy catch days....summer snappers, on beach sand porgys etc. Exposure to it as fun is all you need to do. And be mindful of hooks every single second children will always reel up to far and hooks will come at them fast. A hooked child could be put off fishing for a long time. Start slow teach and it will be its own reward............but lock up the .22 until he's 22

I know my pops got me excited about fishing just by bringing home stripers and blues. I would gawk over the size of them and watch intently as he cleaned and filleted them. I think the first fish I caught was a mackerel. He used to bring me along to catch snappers, mackerel and scup on the piers and bridges where we live. Then once I grasped the concept I got to tag along at night for the big guys.

Seems like everyone who doesn't fish doesn't get it until they catch that first one, after that...they are hooked.

ive been taking my older girl since shes one and a half ... she got a keeper fluke last year from the surf @the thumb really nice pics

my younger was the same... she gets skunked poor kid

younger the better!!!

LMAO I have a picture just like that one ...

Be patient don't force them .. don't plan to fish much but bring your rod with

you. Some guys say leave them home but kids want to do what their parents are doing if your not fishing he won't want to either.

My son had his first rod before he was born .. at age 2 he couldn't cast but had no problem reeling in sunys at the lake. They won't fish long kids have a very short attention span .. He started casting a rod this spring age 3 and got dam good at it by mid summer i let him throw jigs, weedless plastics (crushed Barbs). He bait fished for snaper .. i'd hook the bait he'd make his own drops off the dock.. he hooked up with his first fingerling striper and his first snaper blue on the same day this summer.

He's 4 now I expect by mid summer he's going to be an effective caster. Its great to watch. He like to fish but their is a breaking point. LOL he does get pissed when i'm watching saltwater experience the same time Sponge Bob is on.

He has already fished the North Side using kastmasters ..

View PostNever too young to start. Heres my 5-month old with his first fish.

Take him anytime you can. Just don't expect to get much fishing done. Let him throw rocks, splash in the water and float sticks. Bring toys and snacks for him and don't force him to fish.

Just let him get used to being outdoors. A lot of times I intentionally leave my equipment at home so I can focus the outing on him. If you wait too long he may find TV more interesting than being outside.

I have pictures of my youngest standing behind the wheel of my skiff when he was about a year old. They are never too young.

I agree let them play. We pack 3-4 pairs of cloths.

View PostTake him anytime you can. Just don't expect to get much fishing done. Let him throw rocks, splash in the water and float sticks. Bring toys and snacks for him and don't force him to fish.

Just let him get used to being outdoors. A lot of times I intentionally leave my equipment at home so I can focus the outing on him. If you wait too long he may find TV more interesting than being outside.

I have pictures of my youngest standing behind the wheel of my skiff when he was about a year old. They are never too young.

im not a father by all means but as a former child (im a "teen" now lol) i'll let you know that if you want your son or daughter to be a fisherman the first time you take him fishing he HAS to catch fish (sunfish are awsome!) or else hell loose intrest quick if he dosnt catch fish and its not exiting and wont pick it up until he or she is older.

as for age i would say let him actually fish at 4 or 5

I started my son out early just being together with him when he was a toddler in a back pack riding along with me.He started to take an intrest between 2-3,fishing fresh crappies/sunnies,by 4 he had his first walleye on the delaware river then it was smallmouth.He's 13 now we hit the beach he loves it he even ask's me to take him!!

just turned 3 with first walleye

Jimmywalleyeage3.jpg

Just turned 4 with first smallie!!

Jimmybassage4.jpg

Last season on the beach with a Bass!!!!biggrin.gif

jimmybass2.jpg

FC

My oldest, Matthew, now 27, was 4 years old when he caught his first fish.

Freshwater from the shore.

Middle of the winter and I was jonesing for a fish. biggrin.gif

VERY IMPORTANT- Always have a camera with you...

Chris