Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoIslanders

TOTAL newbie questions

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

OK, I am going to "convert" this season and try fly fishing. My good friend and doctor and I are going to the NJ Fly fishing Show next week. I am going to be looking for some beginner stuff. smile.gif

I think I am going to look for a 4/5 wt. trout rod as a 1st rod, and maybe a 8/9 wt. if I can find a good deal (My friend does mostly saltwater, but I am sure will do some teaching in a stream-that's why I may be looking for both).

What I want to know is:

1. Why does fly fishing equipment seem to cost so damn much??? I kind of get it on the rods, as they need to have a much more intricate action, etc., but the reels are mechanically much simpler than conventionals and spinning reels of the same price range. Seems counterintuitive. headscratch.gif

2. What brands should I be thinking about and researching before I get there so I don't look like a boob?

3. How much $$$ should I be looking to spend (without my wife wanting to murder me. wink.gif )?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

I am a newbie myself to fly fishing. I am so new to this that I havent even casted a fly rod yet LOL. However about 2-3 weeks of doing reserach I finally have a set up now ready to go for the Spring.

The rod I have a Sage Fli 9wt 9' rod and a Colton Torrent 810 reel. So far I have spent about $550 and am already thinking about buying a vise to tie flies. Let me warn you now this sport is verrrrrrrrrrry addicting LOLLL.

From my research I have seen a lot of good reviews on the Colton products. All of the Colton products are on sale right now too. You can contact the owner Bob and ask him any questions you have. His user namer on here is Foulhook. He is a great guy and can help you answer any other questions you have about his products.

Hopefully others will chime in and tell you more as far as other brands to look at.

Outfitting a Newbie

If a newbie asked me what to get I'd tell him NOT TO BUY A THING!!!

I'd tell him to look for a Flyfishing Club in his area ( In NY There is the Saltey Fly Rodders Of NY ) among many in all states. I'd tell him to look them up & attend a meeting. Most of the fishing clubs have web-sites & contacts! I would also tell him to get on-line & do some searches on Flyfishing for beginners or flyfising 101. There is so much to learn rather than run out & buying a Rod you no nothing about! These clubs will take you in under there wings & teach you the Right way! You have to do some research! Go down to the beach,look for someone that's flyfishing, be polite & approch them & ask them if they mind you asking some questions. Most of us are nice guy's & girls. They will be glad to answer your questions. Its not like you go get a spinning outfit,their's so much more involved. Fly fishing can be real expencive! Rods cost under a $100.00 & can cost $1,000.00s same with reels, You need line & there are 3 basic. Floating,Sinking & Intermediate. Which a good one will cost you $60.00. There's Fly's, Leaders, all sorts of differnt things that you'll either need or want!

If you go out & buy a Rod in a week you might not like it! That's why I say DON'T Buy Anything until you have checked around. All these clubs have meetings once a month & before the meeting weather permitted they cast outside before the meetings. There are at least 10 guys with 10 different outfits that would be happy to let you try & give you a lesson free of charge. Theres Rods that one guy has that the other guy doesn't like so no one can tell you what to get!!! You have to like the feel for yourself. A beginner will cast a softer Rod better than a fast taper. I own more than 20 Rods & all are different for different fishing conditions. A all around surf Rod I would recommend a 9weight but which one I couldn't tell you.

I will tell you once you get your feet wet,The fish isn't the only one that will be hooked! It's a whole different world out there & there is no turning back. There is so much to learn & I learn every time I go out. I'm no expert but if there is a Newbie looking for some answers shoot me a PM & I'd be glad to spend some time trying to help you out, even willing to meet & let you try out a few rods. I'm not into selling my Rods or pushing anyones product! I Just Love the sport & would be glad to pass on any help I can. I also will be giving Fly Tying Demo's at a local shop sometime this winter. There is NO CHARGE It's just showing people another aspect of the sport. Everything from Flys, Teasers,Bucktails ETC. There is nothing more rewarding than catching a fish on something that you made yourself!

image.php?u=329&dateline=1218584918

View PostOutfitting a Newbie

If a newbie asked me what to get I'd tell him NOT TO BUY A THING!!!

I'd tell him to look for a Flyfishing Club in his area ( In NY There is the Saltey Fly Rodders Of NY ) among many in all states. I'd tell him to look them up & attend a meeting. Most of the fishing clubs have web-sites & contacts! I would also tell him to get on-line & do some searches on Flyfishing for beginners or flyfising 101. There is so much to learn rather than run out & buying a Rod you no nothing about! These clubs will take you in under there wings & teach you the Right way! You have to do some research! Go down to the beach,look for someone that's flyfishing, be polite & approch them & ask them if they mind you asking some questions. Most of us are nice guy's & girls. They will be glad to answer your questions. Its not like you go get a spinning outfit,their's so much more involved. Fly fishing can be real expencive! Rods cost under a $100.00 & can cost $1,000.00s same with reels, You need line & there are 3 basic. Floating,Sinking & Intermediate. Which a good one will cost you $60.00. There's Fly's, Leaders, all sorts of differnt things that you'll either need or want!

If you go out & buy a Rod in a week you might not like it! That's why I say DON'T Buy Anything until you have checked around. All these clubs have meetings once a month & before the meeting weather permitted they cast outside before the meetings. There are at least 10 guys with 10 different outfits that would be happy to let you try & give you a lesson free of charge. Theres Rods that one guy has that the other guy doesn't like so no one can tell you what to get!!! You have to like the feel for yourself. A beginner will cast a softer Rod better than a fast taper. I own more than 20 Rods & all are different for different fishing conditions. A all around surf Rod I would recommend a 9weight but which one I couldn't tell you.

I will tell you once you get your feet wet,The fish isn't the only one that will be hooked! It's a whole different world out there & there is no turning back. There is so much to learn & I learn every time I go out. I'm no expert but if there is a Newbie looking for some answers shoot me a PM & I'd be glad to spend some time trying to help you out, even willing to meet & let you try out a few rods. I'm not into selling my Rods or pushing anyones product! I Just Love the sport & would be glad to pass on any help I can. I also will be giving Fly Tying Demo's at a local shop sometime this winter. There is NO CHARGE It's just showing people another aspect of the sport. Everything from Flys, Teasers,Bucktails ETC. There is nothing more rewarding than catching a fish on something that you made yourself!

image.php?u=329&dateline=1218584918

Ron I think this was the same answer I got from you when I posted my newbie thread LOL!!

I would take flytyingguy1's advice he is a very helpful member on this forum and has already helped me out A LOT!! smile.gif

Joining the Salty Fly Rodders is an excellent way to learn all about fly fishing from equipment to favorite fishing holes. Tomorrow, Wednesday Jan 13th, happens to be their monthly meeting at the Queens Botanical Garden on Main Street in Flushing. I have been a member since 2003 and I have to say that I have learned a lot being a menber of the club not to mention the terrific friends I have made. Ron is no exception.

Go to their website and get a taste of what they offer. They are an experienced group of fly rodders who are eager to take a newbie under their wings and make learning all about salt water fly fishing fun. You can save valuable time coming up the learning curve through the club and its members.

Good luck and if you come to the meeting tomorrow, make sure you say "Hi"

View PostOK, I am going to "convert" this season and try fly fishing. My good friend and doctor and I are going to the NJ Fly fishing Show next week. I am going to be looking for some beginner stuff. smile.gif

I think I am going to look for a 4/5 wt. trout rod as a 1st rod, and maybe a 8/9 wt. if I can find a good deal (My friend does mostly saltwater, but I am sure will do some teaching in a stream-that's why I may be looking for both).

What I want to know is:

1. Why does fly fishing equipment seem to cost so damn much??? I kind of get it on the rods, as they need to have a much more intricate action, etc., but the reels are mechanically much simpler than conventionals and spinning reels of the same price range. Seems counterintuitive. headscratch.gif

2. What brands should I be thinking about and researching before I get there so I don't look like a boob?

3. How much $$$ should I be looking to spend (without my wife wanting to murder me. wink.gif )?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Figure a couple of "Coach" bags & a pair or Prada shoes for a start. cwm27.gif

i can tell you what i did from a lower income perspective with an appetite to learn. i'm not poor by any means, more middle class, but after bills i'm on an extremely tight budget. here's what i did.

went to find a small no name shop and purchased a $50 reel. it was a cortland mosquito, 8/9 wt Large. The smaller ones were cheaper around $25 and great for trout fishing, mainly because you don't really even need a reel if you're targeting 10-16" trout. then i searched for a decent line to use (use the internet) which ended up costing me about $20 and then backing for $8. the next thing was a cheap fly rod offline for about $50 (okuma magnitude)

now of course, the best advice you will get and if possible you should follow, is don't buy anything if you can find someone else's to use and experience, learning how to cast and what not, but that's not always possible, and i took the best route i could. then get out there and practice. with cheaper rods you may have to focus on loading a little better and perfecting your form, but it'll get your feet wet and with a good amount of practice you'll be catching fish in no time. for lighter rods, a 30 foot cast is really good, doing it accurately is important.

follow the threads on SOL and watch youtube videos to improve your technique. if you have good form, you'll be able to pick up a better rod and use what you've learned to continue to build your technique.

it's hard to say what the best path is. IF you can attend meetings and get the experience before purchasing, I support it 100%. if you're like i was with an incredibly busy schedule and no friends who fish, then save some pennies on the side and get a nice outfit.

my trout setup is still and won't be changing from a cabela's $100 combo on sale for $70 that i won't be switching line on til after this season. i can still cast 45 feet with it and have caught the trout to show it's quality smile.gif good luck

I agree with Flytyinguy.

But since you asked I will tell you that if you are bent on going out and getting set up with an outfit you really need a budget in mind. If you are talking a 5WT for freshwater to get started with panfish, trout, small bass, etc. I think you can get by just fine with a $125 starter outfit from Cabelas or LL Bean. IMHO both offer good value in the lower price range. I wil add that again IMHO you need not spend any more that that on a freshy outfit.

If you are looking for a saltwater outfit I suggest again you start with a budget. Decent outfits can be had for $150 - $200. Again Cabelas is a good starting point, LLBean, and perhaps TFO. For a little more, say $300 you can get into the better quality TFOs, Colton, LLBeans, etc. I am sure there are others, but I have personal experience with these three and all make some good, solid products.

If you are going to spend more that all sorts of options open up. But I suggest that there is no reason to spend more that $300 on your first outfit, and further, I think most of us can fish with gear in this price range and never reach its limits. But that's a discussion for another thread smile.gif .

Get into it. Go fishing. Learn about the sport. Learn what you like. Learn what you don't like. Watch and try what other guys are using. Then invest more money.

But if a club or some fishing friends are available that is the way to go.

Good luck, and ask questions as you have them smile.gif .

Alan

Wow, lots of opinions. My friend is mentoring me with fly fishing-he's been doing it avidly for a long time and is more than willing to teach.

That's a good idea on the clubs-I will look for one near me.

I will look into the products suggested.

THANKS! highfive.gifhighfive.gif

View Post

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Mike the hardest paret of your question is the wife bit. Some will want to kill you just for wanting to go fishing rather than accompany them to home depot on public holidys and other such hell holes.

Take a tip from their book. Lie and don't say much. Pay cash and hide receipts. keep stuff at friends houses and smuggle stuff into your loft. All tried methods and all of which break down from time to time. Then watch out big time. LOL

Have a great time participating in your new sport. Plenty of help and support on hear.

Mikey O.

there are a million ways you could go on this. I'm not sure what your price range is but there is certainly something to fit it. Some will debate this but I think cabela's makes great stuff for a beginner. Some of their rods are Loomis blanks wih their hardware. Their reels aren't bad either. As a beginner most rods are capable of much more than you are so you won't really appreciate a great rod for a while. Most important thing is get your gear with enough money left for the car/boat and get fishing!