Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cantilever

Forrester sees global tech spending rebound in 2010

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Maybe tech will be the force to pull us out of this mud hole..

NEW YORK (Reuters) - After a tough 2009, the global technology industry will see an 8.1 percent increase in spending this year with software and computer hardware leading the charge, according to a report from Forrester Research.

Technology

The estimated market growth this year, to $1.6 trillion, compares with an 8.9 percent decline in global spending in 2009.

While the strongest growth is expected in Europe when measured in dollars, the Cambridge, Massachusetts-based research firm said information technology spending will be one of the brightest spots in the United States.

Measured by local currency, the United States will be the strongest tech growth region, according to Forrester, with an expected increase of 6.6 percent to $568 billion after a decline of 8.2 percent in 2009.

The researcher sees European technology spending rising by 11.2 percent when measured in U.S. dollars, as countries in western and central Europe get a boost from the U.S. dollar's decline against the euro.

Forrester sees global spending on software up 9.7 percent this year and said purchases of computer equipment would rise 8.2 percent, while communications equipment will see a spending increase of about 7.6 percent.

"The technology downturn of 2008 and 2009 is unofficially over," Forrester analyst Andrew Bartels said. "All the pieces are in place for a 2010 tech spending rebound."

Bartels said the tech recovery is expected to be "much stronger than the overall economic recovery" in the United States this year, with technology spending growing at more than twice the rate of gross domestic product (GDP).

Investors will likely be hoping that upcoming quarterly earnings reports show some signs that back up these predictions. One of the first closely watched reports will come from chip giant Intel Corp later this week.

Other anxiously awaited technology company reports will come from firms including Cisco Systems Inc in the communications gear market and Microsoft Corp in the software segment.

Bartels said he sees 2010 as the start of a longer growth cycle especially for technologies involving server and storage virtualization, cloud computing and unified communications.

"We are entering a new 6- to 7-year cycle of IT growth and innovation that Forrester calls Smart Computing," said Bartels.

View Posttoo bad all the tech manufacturing is in Asia.

View PostGood that the USA will see the most money out of this.

Right.... the most money "out".

View PostGood that the USA will see the most money out of this. highfive.gif

other than shareholders of u.s. tech manufacturers, how?

the guys getting paid to actually make the goodies are in Asia.

View PostRight.... the most money "out".

Software is a major part. The manufacturing part is pennies, the research and development is where the money is made.

NVM, I forgot the partisan slant. It cant be good cause a Dem is Prez....cwm33.gif

View Postother than shareholders of u.s. tech manufacturers, how?

the guys getting paid to actually make the goodies are in Asia.

Take microsoft as an example. Windows makes a bunch of money. Its researched and delevoped in the US, then maybe (not even sure if this is true) worst case the CDs are ripped in China. Most of the money still stays in the US.

View PostSoftware is a major part. The manufacturing part is pennies, the research and development is where the money is made.

NVM, I forgot the partisan slant. It cant be good cause a Dem is Prez....cwm33.gif

so a new Cisco enterprise router that might cost $5,000 to buy trumps a $150 home version of Microsoft Office?

hello?

View PostTake microsoft as an example. Windows makes a bunch of money. Its researched and delevoped in the US, then maybe (not even sure if this is true) worst case the CDs are ripped in China. Most of the money still stays in the US.

microsoft outsources a lot to india too, you know.

View Post

My God, man. Take off the rose colored glasses. Who owns our debt? Who now is the largest car manufacturing country? It's not a Dem/Rep thing anymore. It could be fiscal survivability for us and we are all in it together.

View Postso a new Cisco enterprise router that might cost $5,000 to buy trumps a $150 home version of Microsoft Office?

hello?

Supposedly software will have a larger increase then hardware.

Even still, tech is just about the only thing we do make here. Like everything else its slipping away.

Regardless, tech going up is good for USA.

Tell me how its negative.

View PostMy God, man. Take off the rose colored glasses. Who owns our debt? Who now is the largest car manufacturing country? It's not a Dem/Rep thing anymore. It could be fiscal survivability for us and we are all in it together.

Hawker, I posted something positive about tech. To which you replied that we would somewhat lose our money because of this. "money going out"

Explain to me how the tech sector growing, is bad for the US please.

View PostSupposedly software will have a larger increase then hardware.

Even still, tech is just about the only thing we do make here. Like everything else its slipping away.

Regardless, tech going up is good for USA.

Tell me how its negative.

it's not great, if that spending doesn't end up on an American worker's plate, right?

i think you better check forrester's projections for enterprise spending on hardware vs. software.

i actually have it, would you like to see a copy?

Microsoft Hyderabad Campus

Microsoft India Development Center, HyderabadThe Microsoft Hyderabad development center campus is spread over an area of 54 acres (171,000 m²) and is the corporation's biggest facility outside the U.S. and the first one in India.

The campus houses employees across its three units

* The India Development Center (IDC)[20],

* The Global Delivery Center India (GDCI) and

* The Sales and Marketing organization.

* Apart from development labs, the campus also features a sports facility as a recreational area for employees.

Microsoft India Development Center (IDC) commenced its operations in 1998 and is recognized today as a strategic center for developing products critical to Microsoft. Since its inception, the IDC has released several Microsoft products including Services for Unix (A key product in Microsoft's Unix Migration strategy), Visual J#.NET (A Java language development environment) for the .NET platform and MSN connector. Currently, the Windows Group in the IDC is developing technologies for Windows R2 Server and Longhorn client and server. The Developer Division Group is working on the next version of Visual Studio and Visual Studio Team System.

View Postit's not great, if that spending doesn't end up on an American worker's plate, right?

i think you better check forrester's projections for enterprise spending on hardware vs. software.

i actually have it, would you like to see a copy?

I have it. Its just like I said software > hardware. Maybe you can show me where it says hardware spending will be above software.....cwm15.gifcwm13.gif

Software will enjoy the greatest uptick in sales, according to Forrester, which sees worldwide spending on software growing by 9.7%. Some of that could be driven by key new products from Microsoft and other vendors. Microsoft launched Windows 7 in October of 2009, and is slated to ship Office 2010 in the middle of this year.

Forrester also sees a strong rebound in the hardware sector in 2010, with spending on computer equipment expected to increase 8.2%. Communications equipment sales will grow 7.6%, sales of IT outsourcing services will climb 7.1%, and sales of consulting and integration services will increase 6.8%, Forrester said.

View PostHawker, I posted something positive about tech. To which you replied that we would somewhat lose our money because of this. "money going out"

Explain to me how the tech sector growing, is bad for the US please.

FWW is better qualified and can better explain the money going out process to you.