Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
festus

Ugly Stick Striper Baitcasting Rods?

16 posts in this topic

Ugly Stick has 3 striper rods, 2 are 7' long, one is 7-1/2' long. They are rated from using weights from 1/4 to 1 oz. I striper fish 90% of the time from the bank in currents below dams and steam plants. Most of the time I'm using swimbaits or jigs at least 1-1/2 oz to 2 oz. I will be using an Abu 6500 with 17 to 20 lb test mono, and maybe later upgrade to at least 30 lb. braid.

Since these rods are only rated up to 1 oz casting weights, will I be overdoing them casting with 2 oz? I'm surprised Ugly Stick doesn't have a striper rod rated to sling baits over 1 oz. Oh yeah, almost forgot, sometimes I will also be throwing 2 oz Pencil Poppers. These rods are only $29.99 each. I've always had good luck with Ugly Sticks, so I hate to stray away from them. However, I would be willing to spend up to $50 for a rod. Will I be better sticking with the Ugly Stk or spending a little more and does anyone recommend anything better?

ugly stik tiger lite rods will throw more weight (i think they are rated from 1/2-4 or 1/2-3). i think they're about 60 bucks. the regular ugly stik tiger rods will throw more weight too and is probably like 50 bucks, but it's alot heavier

ugly stik is modest... one day i had no other rods to throw out at jersey city so i used my 6'6 mh freshwater uglystik and abu 5500 against wiser judgement and it worked like a beauty. i was using 2oz with chunks and managed to get a 37 inch fish in on the rocks. not saying that a 6'6 ugly rod is prime for that application, but ud be surprised as to what they can actually handle

Yeah, I'd hate to handle a rod any heavier than the Ugly Stick Striper rod. I did pick one up at Gander Mountain and checked it out but backed out because it wasn't rated to throw anything heavier than 3/4 oz. headscratch.gif

Ugly Stick Tiger Lite? Sounds good but I've never seen one in person yet. Looking at it here in the BPS catalog, it's 7' long and rated for 14 to 40 lb test and 1 to 4 oz weights. Heavy action. $59.99. I don't mind paying that much if I like it. Hmm, if I could actually pick one up and handle it, I might consider it. However, the bait shops in East TN are very slim pickings. I hate to order something and have to pay the shipping fees to return it. confused.gif I'll keep looking, cwm15.gif but please keep the suggestions and tips coming.

View Postugly stik tiger lite rods will throw more weight (i think they are rated from 1/2-4 or 1/2-3). i think they're about 60 bucks. the regular ugly stik tiger rods will throw more weight too and is probably like 50 bucks, but it's alot heavier

I've got a baitcaster Ugly Stick that size (6'6" Ugly Stick Light, M Action). Also have an Abu 5000C that came with it as a Christmas present several years ago. It is probably a very similar rig to yours, Headley. However the rod handles are a little too short to cast it effectively with the Abu. I put the 5000C on a Bionic Blade and use it now for bass, walleye, and sauger fishing, and sometimes light catfishing. And I got a Zebco 888 spincaster for the 6'6" Ugly Stick. My girlfriend uses this rig and for a Zebco, it's a hoss. I yanked a 5 lb. largemouth out of an unlikely pond last spring with the Zeb.

View Postugly stik is modest... one day i had no other rods to throw out at jersey city so i used my 6'6 mh freshwater uglystik and abu 5500 against wiser judgement and it worked like a beauty. i was using 2oz with chunks and managed to get a 37 inch fish in on the rocks. not saying that a 6'6 ugly rod is prime for that application, but ud be surprised as to what they can actually handle

BPS catalog offers some alternatives. Doesn't their inshore extreme series have something in that weight range?

I bought a Bill Dance 7' catfish spinning rod for $20 about 6 years ago. I take it on vacation as a beater. Took a 20lb striper on it at Gay Head a few years ago.

I think its composite. I have tossed 1-3 oz with it.

Yes, BPS has a $69.99 Inshore Extreme casting rod about the right weight. The longest they have, however is only 7'6". I happened to visit their store a few days after Christmas and they haven't restocked their store yet. I also looked for their $24.99 Power Plus series, but they were out of those, too. Maybe it's best they didn't have those because I'm not sure of the quality for that price. Well, they were out of the Bill Dance outfits, too. We don't have the best Bass Pro Shop in Kodak, TN. headscratch.gif

View PostBPS catalog offers some alternatives. Doesn't their inshore extreme series have something in that weight range?

I bought a Bill Dance 7' catfish spinning rod for $20 about 6 years ago. I take it on vacation as a beater. Took a 20lb striper on it at Gay Head a few years ago.

I think its composite. I have tossed 1-3 oz with it.

the power plus trophy rods hold up well for a $20-25 rod... i've had one for a couple years and use if for trolling off a kayak. it handles big fish and is nice and cheap so if i drop it overboard, it's not a huge hit. the tiger lite is a light rod and handles big fish but i hear ya about wanting to actually feel it before you buy it. it definitely has better guides than the ugly stik striper rod. the ugly stick big water rods probably fit more in the range of weight you want to throw, but they are heavy rods

Hey, has anyone ever used the Cabela's Whuppin Stick? I see they're only $29.99, and they have a model just the right size. 9', MH casting rod, rated for 14 to 30 lb test line. But I read the reviews and some are not good. Some folks say they're indestructable, others say they break easily. The biggest complaint is the cork hand coming undone.

I have a new Abu 6500 I haven't tried yet because the rocks have been slick and icy at my favorite fishing hole. However tomorrow and Friday, it's supposed to warm up into the 50's. I'm not really hurting for a rod yet because I have an old cheapie MH 7' Rhino casting rod until I can find something better.

View Postthe power plus trophy rods hold up well for a $20-25 rod... i've had one for a couple years and use if for trolling off a kayak. it handles big fish and is nice and cheap so if i drop it overboard, it's not a huge hit. the tiger lite is a light rod and handles big fish but i hear ya about wanting to actually feel it before you buy it. it definitely has better guides than the ugly stik striper rod. the ugly stick big water rods probably fit more in the range of weight you want to throw, but they are heavy rods

its a durable stick but again weight is somewhat of an issue (have a 10 footer)

but its becoming rather evident that it doesnt take an expensive rod to be durable at all.

theres ugly sticks, daiwa beefsticks, power plus rods that are all below 60 dolalrs

View Posti love ugly stiks but wouldn't advise using one for pencils. im still new to pencils but don't think a 7' will cut it

Not unless it comes with a big eraser on it with all the mistakes you make! cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif You left youself wide open for that one! ( " Google-It" )

View PostUgly Stick has 3 striper rods, 2 are 7' long, one is 7-1/2' long. They are rated from using weights from 1/4 to 1 oz.

A "striper rod" that can only cast up to a 1 oz. lure, does not seem like much of a striper rod in my opinion. I would check out a Bare Foot rod. They are pretty close to indestructable, and are much better than Ugly Stiks and Whuppin Stiks which are total crap.

View PostUgly Stick has 3 striper rods, 2 are 7' long, one is 7-1/2' long. They are rated from using weights from 1/4 to 1 oz. I striper fish 90% of the time from the bank in currents below dams and steam plants. Most of the time I'm using swimbaits or jigs at least 1-1/2 oz to 2 oz. I will be using an Abu 6500 with 17 to 20 lb test mono, and maybe later upgrade to at least 30 lb. braid.

Since these rods are only rated up to 1 oz casting weights, will I be overdoing them casting with 2 oz? I'm surprised Ugly Stick doesn't have a striper rod rated to sling baits over 1 oz. Oh yeah, almost forgot, sometimes I will also be throwing 2 oz Pencil Poppers. These rods are only $29.99 each. I've always had good luck with Ugly Sticks, so I hate to stray away from them. However, I would be willing to spend up to $50 for a rod. Will I be better sticking with the Ugly Stk or spending a little more and does anyone recommend anything better?

One of 2 things. 1 your read it wrong or 2 it was a mis print. They are rated higher than 1 OZ!

View PostOne of 2 things. 1 your read it wrong or 2 it was a mis print. They are rated higher than 1 OZ!

Ugly Stick might have some more Striper Rods I heard of yet. In the 2009 BPS catalog, they have 3 trigger rods:

USCA 70 7' 1 pc ML, line: 6-20 lb. test, lure wt 1/4 to 3/4 oz

USCA 70MH 7' 1 pc MH, line: 12-25 lb test, lure wt 3/8 to 1 oz

USCA 76 7' 6" 1 pc ML, line 6-20 lb test, lure wt 1/4 to 3/4 oz

They have two spinning rods, both 7', ML and MH, lure wt 1/4 to 1 oz.

So maybe it is a mis print or they make some more Striper Rods that BPS doesn't sell. Anyone know?