Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug

Ford truck warranty

18 posts in this topic

Reading John's post about his '05 - f350 problems has me thinking. I just bought an '05 - F350 with the 6.0 diesel. I didn't purchase the after market warranty offered by the dealer. I'm assuming the new truck warranty is transferable. If so what is the drive train details? 5 yr. 100K mi. ?

Drivetrain was 5 yr 100k. I was outisde the waranty by 4k and 2 months. you have to be getting close on time if you havent already passed it.

you can buy aftermarket extended warranties. I hear them advertised on the radio allot.

View PostDrivetrain was 5 yr 100k. I was outisde the waranty by 4k and 2 months. you have to be getting close on time if you havent already passed it.

you can buy aftermarket extended warranties. I hear them advertised on the radio allot.

The dealer offered 4 yr. 48K for $2K which I thought was a bit steep.

$2000.00 doesn't cover much if you have a major issue Plug. Ask John, Joel, and a few others I know. Might be worth looking into, pay now, or pay more later.

Fishhook

View PostMy '04 was 5yr/100k on just the motor and 3yr/36k on rest of truck if I remember correctly.

This is correct, but there is a $100 deductible for the engine warranty. I used it about 5 times on my 02 7.3.

i've been out of the dealerships for almosta year now, but it should still depend on what is wrong with the vehicle. meaning, on a diesel truck, your powertrain is probably going to be longer than a truck of the same year and model with gas powertrain. also, your emissions warranty is going to be longer. so if you had a problem, it would depend on what was the causal part as to whether or not you have warranty coverage. your best bet is to call a dealer that works on diesels(or stop by is better) and ask them what coverage you have. if oyu show up in person, they may have a pamhplet that you can take iwth oyu. hope that helps.

I'm a Ford warranty admin, it's 5yr/100k on the powertrain. From the date that the truck was originally purchased, if your 05 was bought on 11/30/04 then it's already done- 2/1/06 and you've got a year left.

John's problem was routine a relatively cheap to fix for a 6.0. Figure that repairs will run in excess of $1000 for some of the more minor engine issues and jumps over 10,000 if you have a lifter go bad (common) and need a shortblock or $15,000 for a longblock if the failure is catastrophic.

A 6.0 out of warranty is an expensive liability. (sorry JohnM)... If it were me then I'd make getting rid of it before that happens a priority, or at least find some extended coverage on the motor and all lubricated components including the oil cooler and egr cooler.

I'm glad for that last post in particular. Our late lamented brother Chuck of the Long Cast was our only insider's source for comment on things Fordian. (Chuck, we miss ya.) frown.gif

Heres what I can say about Ford. I purchased an F150 2years old and 18k miles had it about a year with only 25k miles and I had a driveshaft slip yoke go bad. It was about 5 weeks over the 3 year purchase date and still with 25k and Ford would not warrenty the driveshaft because I was a second owner. I went all the way to a reagional warrenty guy and NO. needless to say after it was fixed I drove it for a short time and traded it. Ford lost a customer for life for $215

Funny timing for this post. I just returned from a trip to Florida when I lost power in my F-250 2005 Diesel. $50 tow to the Ford Dealer and replacement of fuel pump, fuel injector monitor device (?), and all 8 injectors. Was told by service rep that cost was over the amount Ford authorized and they needed authorization from Ford for all repairs.Long story short, 3 days spent in South Carolina waiting to get everything done. Can't fault the dealorship cause they did a great job when it was finally over. Estimated cost was $5200, but we paid $100. BTW 83K on truck. Gonna go for the extended warrenty. Joe.

i bought a new '04 Explorer. after about 10k the trans started slamming into gear from time to time. Everytime we took it to dealership they said they couldn't replicate, had no idea what was going on. around 20k it was doing it a lot more, and they did a warranty repair, and the problem went away.

Around 40k it started doing it again, but it was out of warranty and now our problem. What really made me mad is i found it it was a well known issue, and that Ford at appearently used the wrong type of fluid at the factory, and the fluid was not compatible with the bronze bushings in the SEALED transmission. So here's a problem they knew about, and knew they caused, but refused to make it right. I ended up having a guy who ran a small trans shop put a new clutch pack in ( the same temp fix that the dealer did earlier) and said good-bye to the last Ford I will ever own.

View PostI'm a Ford warranty admin, it's 5yr/100k on the powertrain. From the date that the truck was originally purchased, if your 05 was bought on 11/30/04 then it's already done- 2/1/06 and you've got a year left.

You almost got it right. wink.gif

The diesel engine is covered 5yr/100k - not the "powertrain".