Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingnuke

Who sells a decent travel rod

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

View PostIm looking for a decent travel rod. Spin, 6 or 7 foot, med to light. Who sells em.

thanks

Albright I own 4 & would buy any other!

Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO)

Bass Pro Shops

Cabela's

St Croix

I got a Bass Pro 3 piece that I picked up in Islamorada. 7' spinning, with cork grips and Fuji components, with a travel tube. I just carry it right on the plane, have done it on domestic and international flights. Only once a TSA agent asked about it, and they just wanted to know if it was a pool cue inside.

I second the St Croix. I have their 3 piece travel rod brought it along for numerous trips as a carry on. Caught a beautiful Strawberry Grouper in Barbados with it from a Yak. I recently noticed that a few of the feet on the guides had a tiny bit of rust. I contacted them and they asked me to send the rod in for repair. I got a call from the company said my specific rod was no longer being made. I could upgrade to the next level up for the cost difference I think it was $150 which I passed on. But, for $50 they had turned two new top sections of the rod for me. I got in the mail back the original rod as well as the two new top sections. Now I have the original bottom section with handle and reel seat, two sets of top sections. One with minimal rust showing and two new fresh from the factory sections. Customer service could not have been better. Not a cheap rod but, could not have been happier with how they handled the situation.

---

Hope this helps and Good luck!

View PostLL Bean makes a 4pc 7 footer in both medium and heavy action. It breaks down to a whopping 22", and you get a no hassle return policy.

I second this suggestion...I bought the medium for a trip to FL this past July and it handled everything great - including a pier caught albie in Juno Beach.

I just ordered the Explorer spinning rod from Albright last week. Their sale prices are pretty good, considering the ratings of the rod and the size (and reasonable shipping). From reviews I collected online (here and elsewhere), it seemed like the best value overall.

View PostLL Bean makes a 4pc 7 footer in both medium and heavy action. It breaks down to a whopping 22", and you get a no hassle return policy.

I second the LL Bean and they have great customer service.

Thats a very generous offer but I have to decline. I'd worry the whole trip about breaking your rod. But thanks so much.

View PostI have a 7" Eagle Claw that I take to Colorado with me. It breaks into 4 or 5 pieces. Since you're in Long Branch, I'll let you borrow it if you want. I work near the mall.

I agree Albright is the best bang for the buck closely followed by basspro I have and use both. They're really nice enough to use as primary rods but I save mine for trips as I have plenty of one and two piecers for regular use.