Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charleston

Question;

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, how's the fishing in Florida?

My oldest son lives in Jacksonville. He fishes backwater behind his house and he says he catches speckled trout and red fish. He claims the red fish can get up there in size. He's fishing from a yak.

I thought I might surprise him and show up to fish with him. What rod do I need? He fished lures and some bait. Shrimp.

TIA for any info.

If you are going to fish from a yak then you will need a med setup 20/30lb braid, 4000 model spinning reel.

That type of setup will handled just about any inshore fish we have down here..

Everything(hook/leaders) else i would just wait and get when you get down there.

But if you also intend on going after the bullreds (jacksonville pier)...then you might want to take your striper gear...

I would bring a soaking setup (large) and a med setup...that way you have all the bases cover

highfive.gif

View PostIf you are going to fish from a yak then you will need a med setup 20/30lb braid, 4000 model spinning reel.

That type of setup will handled just about any inshore fish we have down here..

Everything(hook/leaders) else i would just wait and get when you get down there.

But if you also intend on going after the bullreds (jacksonville pier)...then you might want to take your striper gear...

I would bring a soaking setup (large) and a med setup...that way you have all the bases cover

highfive.gif

Drako are you talking about the Jax beach pier ? Or downtown ?

Where coming over , the weekend of the 29th.I have family down the street from the Jax beach pier thats where I'll be staying smile.gif

How do you think I should fish up there ? Maybe soak some shrimp on the bottom or freeline ? I guess if the reds are in the backwater , I can try the damn at Guana.

The pier and the bullreds that run there like to eat "Big" things...

try soaking a live bait on the bottom.

A chunk of baitfish or fishhead will also work on the bottom... shrimp fish right next to the piling might get you into something...

Google Jacksonville pier fishing report, they have a site and i am pretty sure

they post all kinds of info on whats biting

and how to fish for it

highfive.gif