Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arich

Small Baitcaster for inshore and backbay fluke

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I want a new fluke setup this year and want to try something different. I typically use my Penn 965s or Calcutta 200s for fluke but want something even smaller and lighter.

Does any use a low profile baitcaster like a Shimano Curado CU200E5 or CU300E for inshore fluke? Experiences? I'm not a freshwater guy so have no expereince with these.

I have tried many rods from loomis and lami but one of my favorite fluke rods is a Ugly Stick Lite ( I think it's a 12-20). Very light and sensitive. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Anthony

I own a silver Curado 100D it kicks ass both fresh and salt .. The newer CU200E5 or CU300E models will serve you well.

As for rods How old are your loomis rods?

I can't see any ugly stick being more sensitive than a .. IMX, GLX Bass Rod.. Problues are great rods too.. you may want to look into the ProGreen if the Problue series are too heavy.

Penn 965 should get an honorable mention they aren't the best casters but they are US Made...

Def get the curado 200E5 so you can cover inshore and ocean fluking. The 5:1 gear ratio on the E5 suits you well with both types of fishing. An excellent workhorse baitcaster with a lot of power to reel in heavier sinkers/baits and bigger fish. I think the carrot gold stick with this setup 7'8 H 15-30# 1-3oz is a good choice but if this is too stiff you can go w/ the 7' 10-20# 3/8-1oz rod but it might be too light for ocean fluking if you need 5 or 6oz in heavy current locations. if you dont like the carrot stick try the st croix mojo bass rod, awesome rod for the curado!! 7' 14-25# 3/8-1 1/2 oz rod is a great fluke rod. I only mention these 2 rods because of they have no foregrips and offer a very sensitive feel on the bite.

I only fish spinning rods when fluking. Stradic ci14 2500 10# PP inshore or 20# PP for ocean fluking. I own custom forecast rods 7' 10-17 1/4/-3/4oz no grips and 7' 12-25 1/2- 2 1/4oz no grips. i feel those fluke sniffin my bait/jig!!

I just want to reiterate what was taught to me when fluking. You want to use the lightest possible reel and rod. The more sensitive the better!

i have used light rods rated to 17lb and 8# fireline at times with reels that can fit in the palm of my hand. I dont see any reason to use Calcutta 400B reels or Penn 965 reels unless you are ocean fluking with heavy lead or jigs. Inshore in shallow water which is where most of MY fluking is done the lighter the better. Dont get me wrong, i always bring a heavier setup with me but i usually dont need it.

Here are the conventional rods I currently have. The loomis rods are really my Bass rods. I dont really like the Problue for fluke as it has a very sensitive tip but seems like too much rod for backbay fluke. Ocean Fluke different story. Someone here suggested trying the Ugly Lite for $40. I have to tell you it's a great rod for $40. Been using that with one of the 955s for about 2 years now. If I didn't occasional have to toss bait then the 965s would be OK but the 965 really isn't a baitCASTING reel.

Curious to hear about other rods to match a Curado CU200E5 or 300E for backbay fluke.

Would like to hear about blanks to in case I build a rod.

Other rod I might consider is Lami:

TFX 7020 CT 7'

1-4

8-20

G. Loomis

Pelagic

Psr84-20CSU

7'

15-25

G. Loomis

ProBlue

PBR844C

7'

15-30

Shakespeare

Tiger Lite

BWCL22069

6'9"

10-25

Shakespeare

UglyStik Lite

CA1170-1M

7'0"

12-25

View PostI have 2 Curado Bantums (200) cast great, fight fish well, and I like the contol of the palmed reel. Great fluke combo on a St Croix Tidemaster

How much weight do you use? Do you just use a bucktail alone. I use fluke rigs and 4oz in the LI sound. which tidemaster can take 4oz?

IMHO the ultimate inshore fluke set up is a Quantum Cabo Inshore PT 7' medium action rod with a Cabo Cataylst 101, loaded with 30# Sufix preformance braid. This handles 99% of my inshore fluking. It also does well on weakfish and schoolie bass.... I use this to work my primary shallow water fluke offering a Tsuanami flats jig tipped with a Gulp shrimp or sand eel.......

The Curado would not be the reason for not fishing deep heavy up to 6oz weights, for that I use the 400 calcutta on a Muskie rod, the Tidemaster is only good for 1&1/2 max, 1oz is sweet spot. My nephew in Florida uses the 300 Curado on GLumis for big Snook & Med. Tarpon.

O'D

I fish a lot of real light shad darts, bucktails, and jig heads in the back for fluke. The blank I used is a composite 7'6" and rated for 6-12# test line and 1/4-1/2 oz. It's a real fun rod to fish, I spiral wrapped it with a set of light weight Alconites and put some split grips on it. Also put on a reel seat that has as a cutout to expose the blank. The thing just bends so nice with a keeper on it, they can't shake the hook.