Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingfisherman23

A rant about temperamental reels...

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I currently have in my shop one of the most temperamental reels I've ever seen. It is an Abu Garcia Ultra Mag II converted into a custom distance caster. This is the older UM, not the one with the twist-off left plate.

The problem is spool rub. Something in the reel is rubbing and cutting the spin time waaaay down. I've taken extreme measures on this one: grinding out the spool track on the right sideplate, sanding and polishing the spool shroud on the left sideplate, rearranging the shaft washers on the left side, sanding and polishing the spool, working the pinion allignment and several other things trying to correct the rub.

The most irritating part is the rub went away when I took off the left sideplate and wasn't there when I held the plate onto the frame with hand pressure. Only after I had the plate screwed back in did the rub reappear. headscratch.gif

Finally I got fed up and said "f--- this." I screwed the plate back in for the 12th time and gave it a spin out of frustration. No rub. mad.gif

Thinking through the last reassembly, I realized that the only thing I'd done differently was the order in which I tightened the left plate screws. Took the thing apart and tested my theory. Sure enough, if I tighten the screws in the wrong order the rub comes back. kooky.gifcwm31.gifkooky.gif

Oh well. The reel is working again. biggrin.gif Just had to rant about it for a bit.

Evan

That happens on a lot of reels that have post frames holding the sideplates on. Some of the older reels are known for this. It is unusual for it to be happening on the ultramag frame. If it has a conversion bar it may be twisting the frame a little. If it does have a conversion bar I would loosen it up and tighten it incrementally on either side until it is snug but do not overtighten. The correct way to tighten the screws on any reel is to put them all in loose and than start to snug them up a little at a time moving from one screw to the next. The next screw should be the one that is opposite or almost opposite the last screw you tightened not the one closest to it. You should not just put in the screw and fully tighten it. I usually snug up each screw two or three times until they are fully tightened.

John

What John said. SIDEBAR, but in the same vein not a hijack, just a different Abu:

The first generation red 7's (with the bevelled sideplates) are famous for a mis-mount of the sideplate to the frame. 7 frames have a slight lip to catch the sideplate. Bevelled plates are more prone to mis-mount than the other 7 plates, but they too can be mis-mounted.

If the sideplate is not inspected, it may be distorted, and installed *past* the lip. Then the fun begins, depending on which side of the reel's affected. Or both. The press arm won't engage, the spool binds, and a whole host of woes can result.

My first experiance with this scenario was about 2 hours of life-force, followed by a mental kick in the butt for not catching it sooner. Grrrr...biggrin.gif

I know about the torsioning issue with some older frames and I always snug my screws down in sequence, not one at a time. Ken I didn't know about the issue with the 7s. I'll keep that in mind in case one ever shows up in the mail.

This reel literally is just a temperamental little cuss. Has been ever since I got it. This particular reel is old and worn, and there's probably an alignment issue with one of the screws. But I can't bring myself to replace any of the parts as this is currently one of my absolute favorite reels to cast and it outperforms all my other builds. I picked it up used from Big Lou and I guess it just has good karma.

But if you don't treat it like a china doll off the casting field, it turns from hot rod to hot b---h...wink.gif

Evan