Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeepWater

Help on Fuji Concept spacing on 10' or 11' surf rod

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am new to this field, and wish get some help to start. I am going to build a 10 footer or 11 footer on a Lamiglas surf blank. I wonder where I can get the Fuji new concept guide spacing chart or information for the 10' or 11' surf rod? Is there a formula to calculate or a chart to follow?

Thanks!

You might be able to find some sort of generic NGC spacing chart but, in my opinion, any such chart is absolutely worthless. Your blank's unique properties, your reel, line, and other factors determine what guides and where they should go. Building a rod new guide concept is about working through a process and making it work for you, not following a spacing chart. There is plenty of material written here about determining guide type, size, and position - just use the search feature - or you can google Tom Kirkman who has written extensively about his methods.

Reading up on the basics and starting to play around with different layouts is the best advice anyone can give you. As always, there are a whole mess of very experienced and cutting-edge rodbuilders around here to help you out with any specific problems or questions that might arise.

If you think about it for a second you will realize that 1 chart cant work for every rod/reel combo. Just think and a glass rod vs a graphite rod, they probably wont be set up the same way, the same is true for different graphite rods. The best thing you can do is understand the concept and use it as it pertains to the rod you are building. You cant possible now where the guides should go on a blank you are unfamiliar with so obviously a 1 cahrt fits all idea isnt going to be accurate. Use the chart as a guide and the concepts aas general ideas and put a tip on the rod and bend it (static test) and with the genral ideas you have learned from reading about the concept place the guides where the blank needs them. go cast and repeat

I am in the exact same position you are: I have a 10.5' St. Croix blank and a set of eight LC guides from Fuji. FWIW, I gave St. Croix a call and asked them what the spacing was for the commercial rod that they sold using the same blank and guides. I am going to use those measurements for my first attempt at the build.

When I gain more experience and build my second rod I plan on fooling around with guide spacing.

View PostI am in the exact same position you are: I have a 10.5' St. Croix blank and a set of eight LC guides from Fuji. FWIW, I gave St. Croix a call and asked them what the spacing was for the commercial rod that they sold using the same blank and guides. I am going to use those measurements for my first attempt at the build.

When I gain more experience and build my second rod I plan on fooling around with guide spacing.

Im curious, is this your first attempt at rod building?

View PostI am in the exact same position you are: I have a 10.5' St. Croix blank and a set of eight LC guides from Fuji.

Actually, you are in a very different position. LC guides are not consistent with a new guide concept layout and are based on an totally different principle. Their relatively significant weight and wide feet hinder a blank's sensitivity and recovery, especially if more guides than necessary are used out towards the tip, working against the things NGC tries to improve.

Although you should still test cast extensively to fine-tune an LC layout, you can start with a generic spacing chart with some confidence. I would, however, recommend not using St. Croix's factory rod spacing as a starting point. I know that many people adore these rods, but it is my opinion that they are not built optimally (if you sight down one of these rods you will see the gnarly path the line has to travel through the guides, and there are simply too many of them). I believe that in an attempt to appeal to customers they have tried to make a rod that jumps on both the NGC and lowrider bandwagons.

You should not need 8 LCs for a 10 1/2 foot blank, especially a stiff-tipped blank. Fuji recommends only 6 lowriders for blanks up to 13 feet and on a 10.5, if you go with all lowriders not a hybrid setup I can't imagine you'd need more than 20-16-12-10-8-8. Remember, the point is to (among other things):

1-adequately protect the blank under flex

2-minimize friction during the cast

3-decrease the occurence and effects of knots, loops, and tangles

4-increase the blanks sensitivity

5-decrease its recovery time

Using more lowriders than needed will likely work against 2, 4, and 5

$0.02

OK, it appears that I am hijacking this thread...but I want to glean more information and it will hopefully help the OP as well.

Yes, this will be my first rod build. I have an engineering and science background along with some experience in working with carbon composites and related materials. I am confident in my technical ability, but lack knowledge about the field overall.

My status as a rank novice is truly showing here!redface.gif

I personally like the 1/4-3/4 split of the 2-piece St. Croix blanks, as well as the feel of their rods overall. Of course, if you ask ten people about this you could get ten different answers.

St. Croix builds their Legend rod with a 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 6, 6, 8(tip) LC guide path at 62, 45.5, 33, 23, 15, 9, 4 and 0 inches from the tip, respectively. This is what I was planning on replicating, with the exception of the tip, which I was going to change to a 6mm. I understand what you are saying about the wide feet affecting the blank flex, as well as the gnarly path (the jump in height from the 20 stripper to the 16 is quite large). So I buy what you say 100%. I wonder why St. Croix used eight guides, instead of six? (I am assuming when you say six guides you are including the tip). Do you recommend against using the LC guides for such a rod build?

In any case, what guides/diameters would YOU recommend I use on this blank? It is of moderate action, for 1-4 oz lures, and I want to use it for mostly plugging and tossing an occasional rigged eel. The primary reel will be a VanStaal 150L (I am a lefty).

View Post I wonder why St. Croix used eight guides, instead of six?

It is my suspicion that they are attempting to take advantage of the rod-buying public's curiosity about and interest in both the new guide concept and lowriders by using the two concurrently, even though such a scheme largely defeats the purpose of both. The lowriders catch a potential customer's eye - "Hey those are cool looking, I've heard of those!" while at the same time appealing to anyone that's heard about the benefits of a NGC guiide layout - "oh look, lots of little guides, I hear that makes it cast further!"

View PostIn any case, what guides/diameters would YOU recommend I use on this blank? It is of moderate action, for 1-4 oz lures, and I want to use it for mostly plugging and tossing an occasional rigged eel. The primary reel will be a VanStaal 150L (I am a lefty).

I am always very hesistant to make such recommendations because without test casting it there is no way to tell exactly what will work best, but I would start off with 20-16-12-10-8-8 with a MN 10 tip. I would be very surprised if you found you needed more or different guides than this.

It seems that people who own the legend surf (myself included) are extremely pleased with the rods performance, and it makes me think just how awesome this rod could be with a different guide setup.Holy cow can it get even better,im in rod heavendrool.gif

I tried the GSB 132 1L and 1M, and found the GSB 1L worked better for me. I am thinking to cut the butt of the 132 1L half foot to fit into my car. That will save a lot of trouble. I have short arms so the butt length of my rod will be 2 or 3" shorter than most of the factory rods. The reel will be slammer 560 with 50lb pp.

A friend of mine built his own GSB 132 1L. The tackle shop gave him a 132 1M spacing chart and told him that would work. I called that shop and the guy told me cutting the butt half foot would not affect the performance of the rod. I guess he will give me the same spacing chart if I go and buy the blank.

I did some research on spacing and decided to follow the NGC. Obviously, that is not enough. After read all replies and some information kindly provided by people here, I think I need to find and read more on this to optimize the rod.

View Post 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 6, 6, 8(tip)

no offense to the people who found this rod to be great, but i find this set-up really idiotic. this a copy of a tournament casting rod based on the japanese fuji catalogue designed for 12ft rods and longer.