Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John M

Oil cooler leak

15 posts in this topic

Seems the issues with my truck lately (losing coolant and what i thoght were transmission issues) are being caused by a leaky oil cooler. The turbo is all gummed up needs to be reconditioned, the EGR system replaced its all clogged with oil and the cooling system seems to have oil it as well. FUN FUN FUN....bye bye 4 grand.

what a good morning.

View Postyup. its the only real mechanical issue Ive had in 5+ yrs and 104,000 mmiles. But it still is a suckfest.

I hear ya.

We see quite a few with similar problems at our shop. Sorry to hear this.

View PostI hear ya.

We see quite a few with similar problems at our shop. Sorry to hear this.

yeah so it makes sense then the EGR and turbo as messed up by this? they arnt cheap repairs at all. also had some oil in the coolant and was burning off coolant on the run back from florida last week.

John,

Would this have been covered if you had less than 100000 miles as an engine/drivetrain warranty? I'm only asking because I have the same truck in an 06. Just hit 30,000 miles, no big runs which is what scares me.

Pete

View PostJohn,

Would this have been covered if you had less than 100000 miles as an engine/drivetrain warranty? I'm only asking because I have the same truck in an 06. Just hit 30,000 miles, no big runs which is what scares me.

Pete

I owuld think so but im not sure. Ill ask whrn i talk to them next time.

usually the egr cooler fails then it starts smoking white. Head gaskets usually are right behind, in fact most ford techs do the heads when the cooler fails and clean out the turbo. 6.0thumbd.gif 6.6 duramaxicon14.gif. sorry im a gm tech but there is a ford dealer right behind us and they are never without a few over there with the cabs off and doin heads and coolers.. I would call ford and beat them up maby youll get some assistance since this a known problem... John

The oil coolers are twice as reliable as the EGR's it seems, but then again we change them anyway when the EGR cooler blows so they might not be in there long enough to fail...

A 6.0 out of warranty is a liability, and yes this would be covered under the 5/100,000 warranty. I work in a shop that does about half our business in Ford diesel repairs and warranties. Haven't seen many head gasket failures, regardless of EGR cooler failures. We do a lot of them too. The rocker box gaskets tend to leak though so the heads come off a lot of them before they hit 100,000 miles.

John, did they change the Center section of the Turbo or just clean it? The turbo CRHA runs a little over 500 bucks but is usually worth replacing if you're in there on a high mileage motor anyway.

The next thing that'll go is the high pressure connectors on the HP oil manifolds under the valve cover. The o-rings wear but don't fail because a failed oil cooler bleeds keeps the system from working 100%. Now that the system is intact it'll find the next weak spot. Usually it's a set of 4 .76 cent o-rings that require a grand in labor to replace...

View PostThe oil coolers are twice as reliable as the EGR's it seems, but then again we change them anyway when the EGR cooler blows so they might not be in there long enough to fail...

A 6.0 out of warranty is a liability, and yes this would be covered under the 5/100,000 warranty. I work in a shop that does about half our business in Ford diesel repairs and warranties. Haven't seen many head gasket failures, regardless of EGR cooler failures. We do a lot of them too. The rocker box gaskets tend to leak though so the heads come off a lot of them before they hit 100,000 miles.

John, did they change the Center section of the Turbo or just clean it? The turbo CRHA runs a little over 500 bucks but is usually worth replacing if you're in there on a high mileage motor anyway.

The next thing that'll go is the high pressure connectors on the HP oil manifolds under the valve cover. The o-rings wear but don't fail because a failed oil cooler bleeds keeps the system from working 100%. Now that the system is intact it'll find the next weak spot. Usually it's a set of 4 .76 cent o-rings that require a grand in labor to replace...

thanks for the info. IF this truck turns in to a money pit.......it will be out ther door for sure. Ill get a new one before I dump much more into this one. Im alreayd toying with the idea of a new one..

whats your exp with 6.4s? though im jhonestly leanign towards a dodge if I were to replace this one.

It'll be ok John, I also get to see the worst case of everything so I do have a slightly jaded opinion. I only see someone's truck when something has gone wrong, and I do a lot of fleet work where I only see the trucks when the problem is catastrophic. Just keep up with the maintenance, use the right fluids and filters and make sure you get fuel from good places.

As to the 6.4L, it has its issues but less than the infamous 6.0. I've only replaced or torn down a couple and it's mostly due to poor maintenance. These seem to be more reactive to the care the owner gives them while the 6.0L has inherent issues and failures that maintenance can only delay. It's not advisable as the warranty can be voided but the people who have shoddy care with 6.0's have issues before 100,000, people who do the right thing see failures later in life and often out of warranty. The 6.4's reaction to poor quality fuel is a bad thing that I've been seeing lately, but new tech-heavy diesels don't like lousy fuel... it's no surprise.

thanks for the info I appreciate it.

they told me to make sure i keep up with the coolant check it with th estrips etc to make sure its right. so ill be getting the stuff to do that and keep on it.

If you can find a diesel shop that will do it in your area, I very highly recommend installing an EGR bypass/delete kit. The EGR system is doing nothing more than putting soot back into the combustion chamber and decreasing the longevity of your engine. If your state doesn't do diesel emissions like mine, I'd go for it. The EGR/oil cooler system in those trucks is a POS, and as soon as mine craps the bed, I'm taking it out.