Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Ball rasp question?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am thinking that a pencil popper may be my 1st lure to make since I actually use them.

I have to cup the front a little correct? And a ball rasp is a good tool for this? Do I use that in a drill press?

Or.....does the ball rasp work in a drill? Lathe? Seems like it's always listed as a rotary tool?

Thanks guys.

Ok...scratch that guys...I found the previous thread regarding this. Lots of ideas here.

Looks to me like all I need is a small drill press for eyes/weights. I can do the through drilling and popper face on my TCP.

I'm gona try it this way for a while I can grab a 49.00 drill press from Harbor Freight. Yeah..it sucks, but it's 50 bucks. And it works. And keeps my wife from killing me.

I just want to play around. biggrin.gif

View PostOk...scratch that guys...I found the previous thread regarding this. Lots of ideas here.

Looks to me like all I need is a small drill press for eyes/weights. I can do the through drilling and popper face on my TCP.

I'm gona try it this way for a while I can grab a 49.00 drill press from Harbor Freight. Yeah..it sucks, but it's 50 bucks. And it works. And keeps my wife from killing me.

I just want to play around. biggrin.gif

My father just picked up that drill press. My brother (a cabinet maker) said it looked good for the money. Sounds to me like it is a good starter drill press. I plan to pick up one myself.

View PostMy father just picked up that drill press. My brother (a cabinet maker) said it looked good for the money. Sounds to me like it is a good starter drill press. I plan to pick up one myself.

Yeah......Harbor Freight was a madhouse in Worcester. They also are selling a 6" Digital Caliper for 9.99. Usually 30 bucks. I grabbed that and the drill press.

Just cannot beat it for now.

I set the drill up. It's really nothing fancy, but it beats what I had before.....nothing, lol. Wife yelled at me. frown.gif She got over it quick when I told her how much a Delta was.

I think now I have enough to start a pencil popper. I am going to try to just make the wood change shape 1st, lol.

View Postmokes,

be careful with ball rasps, they can chew your hand up real fast.

View PostI dont cup the mouths on mine but you could use the end of a belt sander. Another be careful when using a rasp.

Yeah...they look like little spinning maces.....

Harbor also has the 6" X 36" belt sander on sale....I picked up a bench drill press at Job Lot 6 years ago for around 35 bucks...still going strong...A note...if you're real carefull you can dull up a large drill bit (one that matches the size of the cup you want to make) and drill it out...a spade bit works also. The reason I say use a dull drill bit is so it doesn't grab and make the cup too deep....and burn the urin out of your handcwm27.gifcwm27.gif ! THEN cut the angle of your popper on your new band sawbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif !

View PostHarbor also has the 6" X 36" belt sander on sale....I picked up a bench drill press at Job Lot 6 years ago for around 35 bucks...still going strong...A note...if you're real carefull you can dull up a large drill bit (one that matches the size of the cup you want to make) and drill it out...a spade bit works also. The reason I say use a dull drill bit is so it doesn't grab and make the cup too deep....and burn the urin out of your handcwm27.gifcwm27.gif ! THEN cut the angle of your popper on your new band sawbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif !

I saw the sander. That is actually pretty sweet. I can't get that atm. And I still have no bandsaw or Chop saw. But....I can at least START. Spose I could make a jig and cut the angle with a jigsaw.

I don't cup my pencils either. I'm not convienced that the angle is real important. Should not be a problem doing this with a hand saw. If you have a miter box, that would work well. Could also make one out of three pieces of scrap wood.

Jigman

View PostI don't cup my pencils either. I'm not convienced that the angle is real important. Should not be a problem doing this with a hand saw. If you have a miter box, that would work well. Could also make one out of three pieces of scrap wood.

Jigman

Hmmm...so the popper part of the pencil serves no real function you think?

I don't think the cup does much if anything. Angle does not need to be exact for it to work right (unlike a darter, for example). Most of the splash from a pencil comes from the body of the pencil slapping the water. My thoughts anyway.

Jigman

If you make a heavier pencil that sinks, the angle becomes important to encourage the plug to "nose up" out of the water on retrieve.

I've also made a couple out of pine that lay almost flat and will "pop" when thrashed just right.

That said, I cut mine on an angle and cup them even if they float upright and out of the water... it just looks right... but I cut mine with a miter saw free hand and then cup and adjust any unevenness with a dremel.