Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Anyone Wear Progressive Lenses??

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I just got my first set of progressive lenses and I can't figure out if they are made correctly. I'm hoping for some input before I talk to the lensmaker.

The lenses are fairly large but I can only see out of small areas at a time. First, I have absolutley no peripheral vison. I can't see out of the sides of the lenses and must turn my head even to read a screen side to side. Basically, they only work straight ahead. Second, when I want to read something I can only do so if I look through the bottom corners of the lenses where they meet my nose. I'm constantly tilting my head up to read, which is weird. Either way, I feel like I'm looking through small fingerprint size areas of the lenses to see and the remainder of the lenses are useless.

Any comments?? How do your progressive lenses work??

I bought some and I could not get used to them. I made four trips back to the optometrists office trying to get it straightened out.

I was told I would get use to them if I gave it time. I tried but after a couple of months I gave up. I found them to be annoying.

I now have separate glasses for reading and distance. Others I have talked to have had no trouble. I guess it is an individual thing.

Dennis

I just ordered a pair of glasses this weekend,

they told me I needed progressives,

and I was in the process of ordering them with progressive lenses, when I bagged it and got single vision lenses again.

I had a MAJOR fear that I would run into the issues you are describing.

my glasses drive me nuts as it is anyway,

any smudge or dust on the lens is a major distraction for me,

I didn't think I could survive with progressive lenses.

I have a pair, and in my opinion, the $700 they cost was a colossal waste of money. I could have bought a VS150 and still have had change. I just cannot get used to the lenses being, in effect, 3 different lenses. The hardest thing for me to get used to is looking almost straight down to be able to read something. Most of the time, I revert back to my $5.00 magnifiers at 2.5 power. Other people I know love theirs....I just can't say the same about mine. To each his own, I guess redface.gif

Just picked up my second pair on Friday. Make sure you move your eyes, don't tilt your head! It does take some time to get used to though. You will know if the prescription is bad as the eye strain and headaches will follow.

Cabo

View PostJust picked up my second pair on Friday. Make sure you move your eyes, don't tilt your head! It does take some time to get used to though. You will know if the prescription is bad as the eye strain and headaches will follow.

Cabo

Cabo, that's exactly the issue. If I move my eyes I lose focus. I have to move my head so I'm looking through the same spot in the lens.

My eye doctor perscribed them for me just before my last family trip to Disney. Completely ruined my trip!beatin.gif

I couldn't see anything and spent the whole trip squinting. I went back immediately and told him I wanted my money back on the ones he sold me and wanted him to write a Rx for my old accuvues. I'll deal with reading glasses when I need to see microscopic print.

I have them, after a day or 2 they were fine-actually perfect.

I have progressive bifolcal. The lower 40% is what I was requiring to read. The upper obviously was for looking at distances. The lens/frames are by oakley which are high quality optics. There are others. I made the mistake of buying at lenscrafters type stores which sometimes offers super low prices on glasses- I was never satisfied with them-like reading thru coke bottle glass.

The question I have for the people who are disenchanted with them, I can't identify the problem you guys are having with them. Were the frames adjusted to fit? in other words your frames maybe to high or too low in relationship to your eyes

First, with progressive lenses, you do not move your eyes to see, you move your head. There as many as 6 different magnifications points in the lense, and by tilting your head, you get to see at any range perfectly.

Yes, they take a few days to get used to, but your brain is smarter than you and will adjust very fast.

View PostFirst, with progressive lenses, you do not move your eyes to see, you move your head. There as many as 6 different magnifications points in the lense, and by tilting your head, you get to see at any range perfectly.

Yes, they take a few days to get used to, but your brain is smarter than you and will adjust very fast.

When I got mine, the first pair in Toms River they were very persistent that I move my eyes, not the head. Not easy to do at first.

Cabo

View PostI have them, after a day or 2 they were fine-actually perfect.

I have progressive bifolcal. The lower 40% is what I was requiring to read. The upper obviously was for looking at distances. The lens/frames are by oakley which are high quality optics. There are others. I made the mistake of buying at lenscrafters type stores which sometimes offers super low prices on glasses- I was never satisfied with them-like reading thru coke bottle glass.

The question I have for the people who are disenchanted with them, I can't identify the problem you guys are having with them. Were the frames adjusted to fit? in other words your frames maybe to high or too low in relationship to your eyes

Ed, can you read throughout the bottom 40%? I can only read through the bottoms at the point where they meet my nose. I have to move my head side to side to read across a page. It's making me nuts.

View PostI have them, after a day or 2 they were fine-actually perfect.

View PostEd, can you read throughout the bottom 40%? I can only read through the bottoms at the point where they meet my nose. I have to move my head side to side to read across a page. It's making me nuts.

Yes, I can read right to left with our moving my head-moving my eyes only. I don't know if the following is proprietary to the brand, but on each lens the progressive starts in the middle, just below dead center and then fans out rather rapidly to the sides (think a flat topped pyramid with the base of the pyramid being the lower lip of the lens frame). My lenes are squareish so I can read equally well in the lower corners. These corners (when compared to dead on straight)are further away from my pupil and I believe the presciption or magnification also changes to accomodate this greater distance.

In case your wondering, Oakley frames, Oakley lens, exam, office visits (2X) and super duper clear coat reflective treatment, came to about $600. Insurance covered about $450 of it. I'll replace these in about 3 years.