Papa got a new skew.

Rate this topic

JFigliuolo

And I destroyed a bunch of wood w/it. It's my first skew, I have been using a 3/4 rouching gouge as my main tool up till now.

I HIGHLY advise anyone having skew trouble to look at YouTube for skew video demos. There are 2-3 EXCELLENT ones out there. After viewing them multiple times I'm getting the hang of it. The BEST piece of advice was

"...you have to ride the bevel, That is NON-NEGOTIABLE"

Yup that skew is a "double edged sword " you can slay with it or "catch" some grief biggrin.gif

I would like to master that tool it's a pleasure to turn nice long shavings instead of scrapings .

I do find that most plugs I have made could be turned using roughing gauge 95%

Joe,get the stone in woodcraft,and as you turn strike it 4 times each side to keep it razor sharp at all times. i hit it with the stone after 3-4 plugs,and the roughing gouge too.remember to put oil first on the stone.

In order for you to be respected you have to respect yourself first.Be thankful for everything you have.

View PostJoe,get the stone in woodcraft,and as you turn strike it 4 times each side to keep it razor sharp at all times. i hit it with the stone after 3-4 plugs,and the roughing gouge too.remember to put oil first on the stone.

Screw the stone... I got a WS2000. best $99 I've spent in a while.

I advise for the beginners to get a rounded skew. The one with rounded edges as it does not grab nearly as much. I had just picked up a new Crown oval Skew, Sorby Gouge and am going to get another skew or will just sharpen the ones I have better as they were hammered when I got them w/ the lathe

By the way I never had any problems with the skew catching till I watched that darn video on youtube and that's all the guy talked aboutheadscratch.gif

This is the rounded skew-I have one and love it

View Postjerseylinesider, you sure thats not a round nose scraper?

hard to tell in the pic, but looks to be a scraper.

Thats what I thought at first but it is different Benjamins Best calls is a rounded Skew here is the like. I love this thing. I have a very nice new Crown Oval skew that I use alot less now. These Benjamins Best Tools are really nice also. THere really is not the need to pay double for the Crown or Sorby, dont get me wrong as the Crown and Sorbys are a bit nicer but these BB cut nice and hold a decent edge

You can see or get the that skew from Penn State or on Ebay

Description:You will be amazed at the ease of use of this exclusive high-speed steel rounded skew. The rounded profile simply makes this skew easier to use.

• No Sharp edges to catch or bind

• Produces super smooth surfaces on spindles, bowls, and small turnings

• Simplifies bead turning

• Superior control for any cut you make

View PostI've been using my skew with the point DOWN and having almost no issues with it. Then again, shaping a needle isn't all that complex.

Does it need to be used point UP to do other plug shapes?

point up,but don't let the tip touch the plug or you'll ruinthe plug.its amazing how that tip can go so deep.

In order for you to be respected you have to respect yourself first.Be thankful for everything you have.