Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oakhurstclay

Rod and Reel Match

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a 10' St Croix Triumph rod (3/4-4oz) and need to match it with a reel. Currently I plug with a 9' Tica and Quantum Cabo PT 40 (some might think the 40 is a little small. Any suggestions for the 10' (PT 50?).headscratch.gif

I am assuming spinning if you are looking possibly a Cabo 50. I like the Penn Slammers. As for the size, take the rod to your local shop and see what balances on the rod the best. Any shop should be happy to do that for you, and if they don't, find another shop.

One question - are you going to be dunking it or is it strictly Monmouth County style open beach and Jetty?

And by the way, if your name means what I think it does, I grew up on Peachtree Rd across from the high school biggrin.gif

View PostI'll be throwing plugs with it.

Right, but the question is "will it be getting dunked"?

Will you be wading out onto sandbars, wetsuiting the jetty tips, going to Montauk.............. ???

If the reel is going to be getting submerged from time to time it narrows your choices down.

the cabo or boca 50 would go nice on that rod. Also take a good look at the new penn conquor 7000 ( I think that's what is called). The reel is a little lighter that the Cabo and boca plus its got a peice of rubber going around the spool so if your using braid you dont need a mono backing. And now that I'm thinking about it also take a look at the new daiwa Saltist 4500

The Quantum Cabo 50 or 60 would be a very good choice.

If you want to throw far the Daiwa Emcast Plus is a nice reel

I see people mentioning Penn. Penn has lost my trust in a big way since they moved all their facilities to China and decided to concentrate on building garbage. A shame because for most of my life the Penn 706, 704 and 650SS were the preeminent surf reels. The true sharpies all had 706's (I had a 650SS redface.gif )

Personally I'd track down a USA built used Penn 706z (they were only made in the USA). That reel is a beast and can easily be the last reel you'll ever have to purchase.

Anything in your price range made in China, not so much.