Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pudge

CREEK behind my house

44 posts in this topic

There is a little creek or trickle of water behind my house....it runs through my city......how would I know if it can be fished...i've never seen anything in it before but i heard there was fish in it before..

another thing if there was a big rain storm or something the water comes up like an extra 6 feet....its crazy...doubt any fish would survive that....i live in quincy ma not sure if anything knows what im talking about.

Read the freshwater regulations for MA after finding out the name of the waterway?

The fish have ways of finding refuge from flood flows although in urbanzied areas the floodplains which they normally use are absent which means they may tend to get flushed downstream.

toss a nightcrawler out there on a hook, that bait catches everything that swims. It will at least let you know if it is worth it to try other baits and lures if you are able to get some bites.

How deep is this creek and how wide is it? Does it every dry completely up? You'd be surprised the size of some fish a small creek can hold. I have a creek at my back property line that's about 25' wide and 6' deep in one spot. It averages about 2' to 3' upstream and downstream, with some other spots also about 6' to 9'. It has largemouth bass and redhorse suckers up to 2 lbs, bream to 9", chubs to about 10" and shiners about 6". Also crawfish, muskrat, beaver, and mink, blue heron, wood duck and teal.

View PostThere is a little creek or trickle of water behind my house....it runs through my city......how would I know if it can be fished...i've never seen anything in it before but i heard there was fish in it before..

another thing if there was a big rain storm or something the water comes up like an extra 6 feet....its crazy...doubt any fish would survive that....i live in quincy ma not sure if anything knows what im talking about.

View Posttoss a nightcrawler out there on a hook, that bait catches everything that swims. It will at least let you know if it is worth it to try other baits and lures if you are able to get some bites.

That's probably your best bet odds are i has chubs or small sunfish.

View PostIt has largemouth bass and redhorse suckers up to 2 lbs

I'm jealous that you have redhorse close to home. They're very high on my most wanted list. I'm gonna have to take a trip out to the midwest to get all the different species.

Pat, do you use the suckers for bait or just like to catch them for sport? Downstream several miles I've seen redhorses in there at least 2-1/2' long, probably close to 8 to 9 lbs. My grandfather used to eat them. But this creek has suffered a lot of erosion from strip coal mines and I've been reluctant to eat anything out of there unless I go on down near where it backs up part of a reservoir. Which BTW down that far it also has muskies, flathead, blue and channel catfish, sauger, and smallmouth. Oh yeah, there's another species which the locals call "jackminnows" in here. They are actually logperch. Don't know where they got the nickname, but I have a theory. The old timers used to call sauger and walleye "jacks" or "jackfish." These logperch resemble miniature walleye or sauger, and are probably even a cousin to them. I attached a couple of photos of these interesting fish to anyone unfamiliar with them.

View PostI'm jealous that you have redhorse close to home. They're very high on my most wanted list. I'm gonna have to take a trip out to the midwest to get all the different species.

Pat, do you use the suckers for bait or just like to catch them for sport?

Just for sport. I only have White Suckers in my area, no redhorses. I have used them for musky bait before but theres too high of a chance of gut-hooking a big fish while using big live baits so i dont do it anymore. Suckers are the first fish i target after ice-out and the last before things freeze over.

Pudge- throw a minnow trap in that creek and see what you catch!

The creek doesn't have any of the type of suckers you're holding until you get way downstream several miles. Those white suckers run upstream in early spring where another smaller creek intersects. It's hard to get them to hit anything, but you can see them spawning and they are easy to snag. Dang, they put up a good fight in swift water and can easily snap 8 to 10 lb. test. The redhorses seem much more likely to hit a hook. They are light biters, especially during the winter. Lots of times on redworms, the only way I can tell one is on the hook is the line goes slack when they swim towards me. Ha Ha. I hooked a big redhorse on a streamer on a 8-1/2' fly rod once while fishing for bass. The dern thing jumped like a smallmouth. That's the first and only time I've seen a sucker jump during a fight.

I only know one person who uses suckers for muskie bait anymore. They upped the minimum size length for muskie on some reservoirs to 44". I hooked one around 40" on a striper jig about a couple months ago and the hook finally just pulled out after a 10 minute fight. If I'd had help, I'm pretty sure I could have landed it. However, I don't think I'd ever keep a muskie unless it be a state record, which is highly unlikely. TN Wildlife Resource Agency made a deal with the state of Minnesota once. TN traded some of their strain of native muskie to Minnesota for some of their stock. Right now muskie fishing in Tennessee is the best I can remember.

View PostPat' date=' do you use the suckers for bait or just like to catch them for sport? quote']

Just for sport. I only have White Suckers in my area, no redhorses. I have used them for musky bait before but theres too high of a chance of gut-hooking a big fish while using big live baits so i dont do it anymore. Suckers are the first fish i target after ice-out and the last before things freeze over.

Pudge- throw a minnow trap in that creek and see what you catch!

Last spring I caught a weird looking fish I thought was either some type of sucker or buffalo fish. I got a photo on my cell phone camera. It was about 4 lbs. Later I found out it was a river carpsucker. A few weeks later, I was looking in the state fishing records and noticed "NO ENTRY" for the river carpsucker. So I imagine if anyone in Tennessee ever catches one, it would be a state record. The carpsucker in the photo is not mine. I got this picture off a TN website. You can tell it isn't a carp because it doesn't have barbels. And it's the wrong color for a buffalo.

View PostLast spring I caught a weird looking fish I thought was either some type of sucker or buffalo fish. I got a photo on my cell phone camera. It was about 4 lbs. Later I found out it was a river carpsucker. A few weeks later, I was looking in the state fishing records and noticed "NO ENTRY" for the river carpsucker. So I imagine if anyone in Tennessee ever catches one, it would be a state record. The carpsucker in the photo is not mine. I got this picture off a TN website. You can tell it isn't a carp because it doesn't have barbels. And it's the wrong color for a buffalo.

Is it like a hybrid between a carp and a sucker because it looks almost entirely like a carp?confused.gif