Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hanratty

Rainshadow SUR 1083 blank

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

My understanding is that the SUR1083 and SUR1063 are very similar, perhaps virtually identical, except that the 1083 is 9-feet, and 2-piece, and the 1063 is 8'10", and 1-piece. This is good news for you, because I've done a bit of work on a 1063, and posted my results here:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...3&postcount=12

I found the 1063 to be a very useful plugging stick, with a range of 1-3.5 oz. or so, and a sweet spot in the 2-2.5 range. If the 1083 is, as I suspect, just like it, then it's a good one too.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't actually fondled the SUR1083. And you didn't post what you'll be using it for, so I have no idea whether it will work for you. But maybe this will help you anyway.

Belmo,

Thanks for the information - exactly what I was hoping to find out. Properties sound similiar to my 8'6" premier - which I like a lot - but am looking for a blank that handles the lighter stuff a little better.

The search will continue.

What are you looking to do? There are a lot of guys here who know their surf sticks, and can recommend a blank for whatever kind of fishing you'll be doing. Post what you want to do, and we'll see what comes in.

I fish primarily in LI Sound. a lot of shallow water - similar to flats fishing - with a mix of rock/sand bottom. This past year had a ton of sand eels/silversides/rainbait.

What I am looking for:

1. Would like a 9' rod that will load when throwing a 1/2 oz bucktail, small swimmer, 6" or 7.5" unweighted/slightly weighted sluggo.

2. can also deal with a 1.5/2oz popper, needle or metal.

3. would like it to have some measure of backbone.

4. would like the blank to be under $100 so if I blow the build on first try I dont break the bank.

5. Need 2 piece rod to work for transportation

Have searched pretty extensively, and posted earlier about this. Someone suggested the lami international 108-2 to look at. Found it on line for less than $70, but read good things about the rainshadow blanks so thought I would try to get some info.

Any other suggestions would be welcome

View PostBelmo, What's the action on this blank. I haven't had a chance to shake them all (SUR) and most felt too me to be fast actions.

It's been a while since I played with it, but I'd say moderate-fast. It reminds me very much of the SU1087, in action and in terms of power. In fact, I'm going to have to compare them side to side to see if I can spot any differences.

When I think "fast," I think of live bait rods, like the Seeker CLB series and the Batson RCLB line, both of which (I think) are rated extra-fast. The SUR1063 is certainly not nearly as fast as those. But it's not like a glass blank either. Moderate-fast is what I'd call it, with an action that's virtually identical, now that I think of it, to the SU1087. It certainly didn't seem too fast to me -- I actually liked the way it cast very much -- but if you want a slower action, it's probably not for you.

View PostI fish primarily in LI Sound. a lot of shallow water - similar to flats fishing - with a mix of rock/sand bottom. This past year had a ton of sand eels/silversides/rainbait.

What I am looking for:

1. Would like a 9' rod that will load when throwing a 1/2 oz bucktail, small swimmer, 6" or 7.5" unweighted/slightly weighted sluggo.

2. can also deal with a 1.5/2oz popper, needle or metal.

3. would like it to have some measure of backbone.

4. would like the blank to be under $100 so if I blow the build on first try I dont break the bank.

5. Need 2 piece rod to work for transportation

Have searched pretty extensively, and posted earlier about this. Someone suggested the lami international 108-2 to look at. Found it on line for less than $70, but read good things about the rainshadow blanks so thought I would try to get some info.

Any other suggestions would be welcome

If you remember, PM me after the Rod Expo. I'm looking for a blank that's virtually identical, something in the nine-foot range that will throw a small bomber or a 1/2 oz. bucktail, but will also throw something 1.5 or 2 oz. in a pinch. The kicker is that it's gotta have at least some beef in the butt; it's easy to find steelhead blanks that fit these specs, but the steelie blanks I've tried are a bit too noodly for my liking, especially if you're going to be fishing somwhere with current. One of my favorite spots is an inlet, where the water can move very fast, and where Bombers can be murder on fish, but the thought of trying to horse in a big blue with a steelhead rod in those conditions makes me soil myself. Lami's 1081L is the standard for throwing stuff in the Bomber weight class in the suds, and it's a good blank, but I'm looking for another alternative, for a top section that's built like a steelhead rod and a bottom section that's built like a true surf blank.

Remind me after the show and I'll let you know if I find anything.

Belmo,

I bought a reddington steelhead rod 4-5 years ago to try and fill in this gap. Handles the weight really nicely, but with a blue 8+ pound blue and 15+ bass I feel like I have very little control over the fish with little to no current. I dont bother to bring it anywhere with moving water.

Will try to remember to pm you.

Hell - thanks for those ideas.

Hanratty, Belmo:

I'm following this discussion with great interest, since i have the same needs...though I could go down to 8 ft if need be.

Best rod I have at the moment for 1/2 oz jigs and 5" Mambos etc is a cheap ($30) 8'6" Eagle Claw Steelhead rod. Great rod for $30, I'll tell ya, but it does have the noodle/lack of backbone problem. Can handle 20" schoolies in some current but not without really feeling it. It will throw 1/2 or 3/4 oz bucktails a mile though.

In my research I found some Rainshadow Steelhead blanks that might work-- BP1024F, SH1026F (8'6"), ISA1086F (9'), HS1023F Hot Shot --all in various modulus graphite or composite formulations. I'm intrigued by the composite RX4 BP1024F. They vary from medium to extra fast, with super high mod at the faster end.

I suppose the question is BACKBONE. When you quiz Batson at the show, see if they have anything in their extensive Salmon/Steelhead line with some spunk in the lower half. They seem to specialize in this fishery.

Let me know what you come up with in High Point!!

Gonna revive this and cross my fingers but has anyone come up with any suggestions? I too am in need of a rod to fill this gap. I have tfo rods in the steelie and surf categories but nothing to do what I need most often, to throw 1/2 up to 3oz at most preferably around 9 foot. If not I'm gonna give the SUR 1083 a go. Thanks for the good read so far.

Old thread and im sure they are hard to find now but Sur1023 or 1145 should fit the need described. One at 8.5' and the other at 9.5'Both like 3/4-2oz and are mod fast.