Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

RM Giants

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just bought a couple of these plugs recently and after coming up empty trying to find some info using the search feature, I figured I'd make a post and ask. The search feature only brought up threads of people buying/selling/trading these plugs.

My question is how do you guys fish these giants? Do you fish them in specific waters, meaning only in fast current, deep water, shallow water, all of the above? And can you please describe your most productive retrieve/tactic with these specific plugs.

I bought one in black/purple and one in white/grey, figured they'd be a good herring/bunker/hickory shad imitation. Which around the jetties I fish we tend to get a good run of hickory shad both in the spring,summer and occasionally during the fall, the bunker show up here and there, but I tend to find more hickory shad then bunker.

View PostHey guys, I just bought a couple of these plugs recently and after coming up empty trying to find some info using the search feature, I figured I'd make a post and ask. The search feature only brought up threads of people buying/selling/trading these plugs.

My question is how do you guys fish these giants? Do you fish them in specific waters, meaning only in fast current, deep water, shallow water, all of the above? And can you please describe your most productive retrieve/tactic with these specific plugs.

I bought one in black/purple and one in white/grey, figured they'd be a good herring/bunker/hickory shad imitation. Which around the jetties I fish we tend to get a good run of hickory shad both in the spring,summer and occasionally during the fall, the bunker show up here and there, but I tend to find more hickory shad then bunker.

helo bassin-J,

I am a large plug user but not the modelsyou speak of.

I fish them anywhere I can and do well with them.

a large plug will get their attention fast but,weather or not they run away or attack is another story.

I am primarily a river fisher but,I do hit the small surf in my parts.

I my situations I allow the plug to drift waaay out and them bring it back slow on top.this way you can cover lots of water and if there is any fish around,even out of eyeshot,it will hear it and home in.

lots of times I allow it to drift out and then let it hang in the current and just do nothing till it gets out of the strike zone,,then I drag it back.

so,sling them out drag it home slow and you'll wake up some horses.

H-H

BassinJ,

I guess great minds think alike. I picked a couple of them up for the same reason last year and again this year. I grew up fishing the rocks until the sand swallowed them up and we always did well in spring on the herring run. the Deal Lake flume and eighth avenue were my home away from home. Now that the jetties are showing again, I'm hoping to rekindle some old memories and fishing styles - like big plugs off the rocks.

The giants, in my opinion, are not a fast water plug. they dig okay but they get too frantic a wiggle in fast water. They seem to be meant to be fished slow and easy and I would say used to reach deeper water. Trouble is, they take a lot of room in a plug bag and tend to stick out of most. So, it's definitely a commitment to carry one in your bag. And, until that special situation arises, you will have at least one tube in the bag committed to carrying this large lure.

I really haven't had a chance to use them as much as I intended because I seem to always find a need for that special plug and the giant is always getting pulled to make room.

i fish'em slow and easy as said above.the last cuple years i've been cutting the rear hook so it's just a flag(not cutting but replacing )the 2 treble hooks are fine.it's a great plug and like all his plugs they take a beaten and still look and swim like new.smile.gif

I actually prefer them in fast water. In the canal or off a dumping breachway I typically cast cross current and then let it swing without reeling much at all. In the canal I use it more than any other swimmer (unless you consider eastendlu's bottle darter a swimmer). Therein lies the beauty of plug fishing though - lots of options and many ways to use each plug. Kind of cool when some folks prefer it in slow water and others in fast.

Ryan

View PostI actually prefer them in fast water. In the canal or off a dumping breachway I typically cast cross current and then let it swing without reeling much at all. In the canal I use it more than any other swimmer (unless you consider eastendlu's bottle darter a swimmer). Therein lies the beauty of plug fishing though - lots of options and many ways to use each plug. Kind of cool when some folks prefer it in slow water and others in fast.

Ryan

It's great to hear from the "man". Was this plug designed for this application in particular or did you find that this is where it worked best for you?

I use it off the beach primarily - and will be using it off the Jersey jetties (aka groins).

We need to get the bag manufacturers to make a big plug bag. The only one I find that works for me is the B&G large bag but it needs to be modified (I added a clip) to hold it closed and it needs the same size tubes but fewer - like maybe one row of four instead of the three front and four back row arrangement it has now.

Anyway, great plug! And, a beautiful paint job.

I've not had a problem fitting them in a bag - I just drop the plug tail first to the bottom of the tube and it seems to fit ok. Snapped a couple pics of one from my bag last fall. Second pic is the Giant in a tube with the stubby habs needle. It definately takes up one tube - but you can squeeze in a small needle. Bag is the regular AS. I'm with you though - would be nice to see bags come with a couple tubes specifically for big plugs.

Always happy to answer questions - and always enjoy reading the different opinions people have about the stuff I make.

Ryan

I have fished them in current/outflows and done well with them. When I do fish them like this (current), I bend the lip up a little to get the plug to dive more.

I have also fished them on shallower rocky bars with no outflow current, with the lip at the middle angle, and they worked well also.

Good luck - Great Plugs!

View PostBending the lip down and little and using it in calm water I can get them waking on top like a pikie. Cool action!

Jigman

What exactly is the proper method of bending the lip into position?

View PostWhat, nobody fishes these things??

As a matter of fact, most people who buy them don't - they collect themredface.gif

I use at night when big baits are nearby. If it's a school of bunker, I will throw the plug around the outskirts of the school.

I will also blind cast them up-current and past large underwater structure and let them sweep into the zone with the hope of drawing a large resident from it's lair. The reason that I throw the plug up current and past is so that I don't spook any fish that may be near the structure.

View PostWhat exactly is the proper method of bending the lip into position?

Hi Wet-Head,

I have always been told that ya never bend the lip.

it's the eye that you bend down for more action/top and up for less action/diving.

H-H

View PostWhat exactly is the proper method of bending the lip into position?

I place a finger across the bottom of the lip, my thumb in the middle on the lip on top, and apply pressure slowly to bend the lip either up or down depending on what I want the plug to do. A slight bend at a time, then test swim. Repeat if needed. If you have not messed around with bending lips before, keep a duplicate plug close by to compare so if you mess it up you and put the lip back where it started. Most of Ryans stuff I use as he built it. On a few I'll bend the lip to match specific conditions/locations.

Jigman

View PostHi Wet-Head,

I have always been told that ya never bend the lip.

it's the eye that you bend down for more action/top and up for less action/diving.

H-H

Bending the eye up or down just makes it dive or stay up better, but does not really affect the action. Bending the lip does affect the action. On the giant, for example, bending the lip down will create a little wider wobble and keep it on top easier. If I were using it off a breakway, probably bend the lip up a little for a little tighter action and to hold in current better.

Jigman