Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Squished

I did it, finally pulled the trigger on a new reel...

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Finally pulled the trigger on a brand new Shimano Stella 20000SW & Jigging Master T-Bar handle. I've also decided on what I'm spooling it with as well as ordered custom leaders & hardware. This is my first higher end reel, so I'm definitely excited. The rod for it won't be ready till February, but I figure I'll get the reel and accessories all sorted out.

Here's to 2010, tight lines to all. beers.gif

View PostPictures & what do you plan on fishing with it? I have 3 Stella's & Love them But thats a big reel. To big for my needs.

It hasn't arrived from Fedex, just shipped today. Pics will be up soon as it arrives.

Primarily will be fishing small bass and perch with it.

Kidding, it's strictly going to be a tuna setup. Line is going to be JB 100# Hollow-core, ~385 yards. Leaders are going to be 100# streamline flourocarbon leaders with 230bl SPRO barrel swivels(already ordered). No knots in the line, it's going to spliced loops and loop to loop connections. The rod is going to be a new OTI 600g 5'6" Spinning Rod, similar to the G3 series, but better.

I might even use it for a little striper fishing.....depends what I feel like for the day. I picked each piece so it's versatile for whatever I feel like fishing. I've also got a Torium 30 that I'm having respooled with 60# hollow-core and a spliced loop, so all my leaders, etc, will be interchangeable. At $28/leader I'm going to try and get as much use out of them as possible. smile.gif

View PostIt hasn't arrived from Fedex, just shipped today. Pics will be up soon as it arrives.

Primarily will be fishing small bass and perch with it.

Kidding, it's strictly going to be a tuna setup. Line is going to be JB 100# Hollow-core, ~385 yards. Leaders are going to be 100# streamline flourocarbon leaders with 230bl SPRO barrel swivels(already ordered). No knots in the line, it's going to spliced loops and loop to loop connections. The rod is going to be a new OTI 600g 5'6" Spinning Rod, similar to the G3 series, but better.

Since your going knotless I'm surprised you didn't go with 60lb jb line one. It breaks at 100+ anyways. Depending on the handle ordered Reelpowerhandles dot com sells 9 degree offset tbar machined aluminum anodized ball bearing handles for 34 bucks. Made in the USA as well. Silver only now but black will be available in a few weeks. They even have golf ball knobs up to 2" diameter.

Good luck with the setup. And I wasn't dissing the line choice As I just got in a 1200 yd spool of 100lb. And Its pretty thin. But the 60 is amazingly so. Just a bit of a chore to make loops or splice. Oh and make sure you spool that line (if it hasn't been done so already) at extreme high pressure. At least 10lbs. That way if flattens out and stacks nicely.

View PostSince your going knotless I'm surprised you didn't go with 60lb jb line one. It breaks at 100+ anyways. Depending on the handle ordered Reelpowerhandles **** sells 9 degree offset tbar machined aluminum anodized ball bearing handles for 34 bucks. Made in the USA as well. Silver only now but black will be available in a few weeks. They even have golf ball knobs up to 2" diameter.

Good luck with the setup. And I wasn't dissing the line choice As I just got in a 1200 yd spool of 100lb. And Its pretty thin. But the 60 is amazingly so. Just a bit of a chore to make loops or splice. Oh and make sure you spool that line (if it hasn't been done so already) at extreme high pressure. At least 10lbs. That way if flattens out and stacks nicely.

The jigging master handle is already ordered.

As for the line, I was originally going to go with the 60 because of how thick the 80 was, but then I was told the 100 is thinner than the 80 but thicker than the 60. Perfect I thought, the extra 40lb test is worth it.

If I end up with a tuna 400+ yards out....I don't even think the man above will be able to help me. I'd be sleeping for 2 days straight after that fight.

View PostI might even use it for a little striper fishing.....depends what I feel like for the day. I picked each piece so it's versatile for whatever I feel like fishing. I've also got a Torium 30 that I'm having respooled with 60# hollow-core and a spliced loop, so all my leaders, etc, will be interchangeable. At $28/leader I'm going to try and get as much use out of them as possible. smile.gif

28$ bucks a leader.....Are they topshots or just leaders. And either way they better be floro.

It's incredibly easy to splice hollow core, and splice loops. You don't even need the needles. Just make sure for 30 bucks a pop they aren't using that waxed tape for a serve. Make sure its a P.E. wrap and p.e. glued. Goes through the guides much easier.

View PostPictures & what do you plan on fishing with it? I have 3 Stella's & Love them But thats a big reel. To big for my needs.

send it to me. i'll catch us a tuna and you can have the steaks smile.gif

ps. im gonna say that your wants greatly outweigh your needs!!!

View Postsend it to me. i'll catch us a tuna and you can have the steaks smile.gif

Sounds like a good deal....

This season I'm definitely investing in a Foodsaver and vacuum sealing my fish.