Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wilkesiii

Abu 6500C3 vs. CS mag

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Any power differences? what are all the differences in them? i understand that the CS has a mag and and the C3 has a thumb guard but what other differences are there? Would a C3 be good for surf casting?

If I was buying new, the C4 is only like 5$ more than the C3, and it would make, imo, a good general casting reel. The difference between the C3 and C4 is well worth the 5-10$ extra. As for a mag brake being necessary, that is a question for the surfcasters here, most of my fishing is from a kayak. It would depend on what you are throwing though, so some specifics would help, like weight and what your planning on casting.

All Abus are basically the same, a 6500C3 has the same exact gearing as a 6500 CS Mag. Both will most likely have the thumb guard if new from the factory--most people like to remove the thumb guard in order to remove backlashes easier. A C3 will have the clicker(line-out alarm) while the CS Mag won't have the clicker.

Do a search and start reading and you'll learn the terminology.

View PostAll Abus are basically the same, a 6500C3 has the same exact gearing as a 6500 CS Mag. Both will most likely have the thumb guard if new from the factory--most people like to remove the thumb guard in order to remove backlashes easier. A C3 will have the clicker(line-out alarm) while the CS Mag won't have the clicker.

Do a search and start reading and you'll learn the terminology.

Most "Good" casters don't need to remove the thumb bar. cwm27.gif

I was thinking about useing it for Surfcasting and Fluking from my boat.

When surfcasting ill be throwing lures 1-4oz.

View PostIf I was buying new, the C4 is only like 5$ more than the C3, and it would make, imo, a good general casting reel. The difference between the C3 and C4 is well worth the 5-10$ extra. As for a mag brake being necessary, that is a question for the surfcasters here, most of my fishing is from a kayak. It would depend on what you are throwing though, so some specifics would help, like weight and what your planning on casting.

Where can I get the C4? Looked and couldnt find anywhere other that ebay.

A C3 is good for surfcasting. But the other models, with the chrome cage as opposed to the aluminum cage are a little stronger. Those would be the dual cast control models. And, one can get a C3 and upgrade it if they want to be a C5 or even a C6.smile.gif

Surf equals sand equals potential problems. I own and use mostly 7000 series however the lesson(s) are the same. Although you can tune all those bearings to rip out some great distance they're is much to be said for bushing reels.

I know bushings may seem old school and lack the flash but they will not rust, they tolerate foreign materials getting jammed in them at the worst times and will save you a few bucks in the process. No you can't grind the sand out ala 704Z or Mitchell 302 but you can "grind" that fish in and keep smiling.

Personally, the 7000's are more flexible, fit my hands better and the beefier components will likely last longer but...with either reel KISS.

Keep it simple stupid...

Dutch

View PostMost "Good" casters don't need to remove the thumb bar. cwm27.gif

There's no thumb bar on a CS or CT Mag Elite - the reason being is that these reels are built for distance casting - 100 yards plus. With a thumb bar fitted it is not possible when casting with a beach caster to get your thumb far enough around the the spool to get sufficient grip on the spool. Even the CS is a bit restrictive in this regard as it is fitted with a level wind but a thumb bar would make it even worse.