Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mostacho grande

how to get scales with onion bag

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

so, have I gone crazy I have been using rattle cans for lure paint now I think I want to put on scales with onion

bags but can't get it to work. Must be secret I don.t see.

I've done one heavey coat then lots of light coats.Seems like the rattle can paint is too thin forthe mask.I runs under the mask and leavse 3D effect when it is pulled off.

Any help please?

mask?headscratch.gif a lot of guys on here will clamp the mesh to the plug, on the bottom of the plug, then they hit the plug with a light coat, let dr, then repeat until you're happy with the results. After it's completely dry, you remove the clamps and mesh, and there are your scales. Use the Search function, and type in scales, you'll get some great and different ideas on how to do scales. good luck.

Stretching the mask tight to the bait is vey important. I use mini spring clamps all the way across the line where the mask comes together pulling it tightly together as I go. I do not know what would be the best way with a spray can however when scaling sometimes less is more.

some cans spray heavy and others light, less is more when it comes to scales and fish net or onion bag patterns. hold the can 12-15 inches from the wood and spray in swift steady back an forth strides. i use two maybe three passes

I never had good luck with the onion bags, they seem to not get tight enough to the plug. Maybe it's just me. I bought net from JoAnn Fabric store. They have several types and it is dirt cheap $1 or 2 per running yard and it was 54" wide. Couple of yards will do an awful lot of lures and, for me, works better than the bags.

I have not used onion bag either, I use all kinds of mesh from back packs, swimsuit liners, and mesh bags. If you go down a few posts under automotive paint there are some pictures of baits I scaled. The olive green one with silver scale was rubber mesh off a wine bottle

if you cant get mesh to conform to the plug try a pass over it with a heat gun.

that will help stretch it to the plug shape.

binder clips work well for clipping the mesh on

View Postso, have I gone crazy I have been using rattle cans for lure paint now I think I want to put on scales with onion

bags but can't get it to work. Must be secret I don.t see.

I've done one heavey coat then lots of light coats.Seems like the rattle can paint is too thin forthe mask.I runs under the mask and leavse 3D effect when it is pulled off.

Any help please?

hey bud. If you want some mesh and clips let me know I will send you some gladly.........al

These spooks have pearl onion bag scales, I'm very new at this but I clamp them as tight as I can with binder clips and spray on light coats and then peel the bag off right after last color spray. I always seem to get paint sticking to the mesh and chipping off down to the primer when I let it dry before removing the mesh. After removal of clips the mesh is peeled up the sides towards the top carefully to avoid smearing. The mesh is trimmed to wrap around the plug with just enough extra for the clips to hold, this makes it easier to unwrap it.

thank all of you who offered ideas on fish scales. VERY

helpful and will be puttting these to the test. Bought a

cheap??? air brush 'cause the can just put out tooooo

much paint. so far "Ive been testing it in the sink

<my wife works during test time>. what the hecj I installed the sink. anyway thanks again

73's oh wait diff hobby