Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Silverado

Death Wood

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have been away from SurfTalk for some time (maybe a good thing?) on other projects. Thought you gents would like to see some Tiger Maple good enough to kill for.

Below is a Pacific Bigleaf Maple Gunstock Blank sitting on the duplicator.

TigerMapleBlank003.jpg

TigerMapleBlank004.jpg

And below it is out in the sunlight. Yep, the tiger goes all the way through.

TigerMapleBlank002.jpg

Below is a block used for holding cutter bits. Would have made a dozen or so plugs!

CuttersPatterns004.jpg

View PostWelcome back and that looks real good.I still have the wood you sent me its on the list for this winter.wink.gif

Me too..and I have not forgotten,,,. I was hoping to be turning stuff already but my dad has has a very tough cwm31.gifcwm31.gifDec-Jan so I am out of town until things settle down,,,, Don't worry I still have the return address on the package it was sent in,,,wink.gif

Speaking of winter projects, here is what I do with the maple. I am carving a cull blank to make a pattern stock. The high grade tiger is reserved for fine gunstocks. Maybe I should make a 4 foot plug pattern and make some real plugs!

StockDuplicating010.jpg

nice set up dude.... Black powder gun stocks? I need to talk to you...!

unreel set up... I have been a carpenter for 25 years and a gun stock is on my list to do... and go hunt deer with my brother....

Yea it is quite a machine. It was the find of a lifetime, a commercial wood carver had it under a blue tarp outside a barn! I bought it for about one tenth of the new cost, took it apart and transported it to my shop and spent several months rebuilding and painting. It has one spindle for the pattern and two carving positions and a reverse mechanism, allowing carving two stocks at the same time, in any combination of left and right hand from a right hand pattern. A real powerful machine, it weighs 3500 pounds. Northstar does not make this type with the linear bearings anymore, just the type with the wheel and rail carriage.

Enough OT, back to fishing topics!

End view below.

StockDuplicating008.jpg

That is one sweet duplicator. It has been many years since I have seen one like that. All though it does remind me of some of the 'homemade CNC machines' I saw on youtube. A friend of mine from MA and Maine had a setup similar to that, he rich daddy bought it for him(along with all his other tools) it used to make me sick. Those suckers are not cheap either

Very nice set up-kudos to you clapping.gif

And I'm stuck with this duplicator, actually making another to attach my router to