Surfslinger

My take on Asian ABU 7000's

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I dont get it, if the parts are the same why is it such a big deal that they are assembled in Taiwan?

My sentiments exactly. As long as the parts use materials and machined to tolerance specs mandated by Abu, there is no difference to me.

Would you want the smartest person in Taiwan or the dumbest person in Sweeden assembling the reel??

2 hours ago, Surfcaster809 said:

Actually they don't. The second vid is Chinese 7000 not the Taiwan (Omoto) reel. Completely different animals.

More video's by the same guy . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0-TWYxvGxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beOWeMhibrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gawdglivFDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yY33Yc-yAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1CY_mCBLg

On 1/25/2006 at 9:38 AM, Surfslinger said:

For many years, when you bought a new 7000/7000C you expected to see "Made in Sweden" stamped on the reel... It was a given, stamped prominently and proudly on the reel.

Then a few years back, we started seeing reels with "Assembled in Sweden" stamped with less prominent lettering,

DSC_0327.jpg

and that great reel foot sticker stating "Designed inspected and assembled in Sweden from components made in Taiwan to ABU Garcia's specifications".

DCP_1688.JPG

The next version of 7000's has/had no side-plate stamping of where it was made or assembled, and we are left with just "AMBASSADEUR", and the reel foot sticker.

DCP_3637.jpg

Finally, as best I can tell, it's a box that has a "Made in Taiwan" sticker (stealthily placed on the bottom of the box), and "AMBASSADEUR" stamped on the side-plate.

Some sure bet clues of Taiwanese manufacture are shiny silver spools with a pin, and drag stars with points. Also look at the graphics. Old black Big Game reels had the "C" in the word "Collection" never intersect with the "G" of Game. Of course it was also stamped with "Made in Sweden" as well.

DCP_3634.JPG

The newer Taiwanese BG's have an intersecting "C", smaller font, and only "AMBASSADEUR" on the side-plate.

7000cl020br.jpg

I'm not commenting here on the overall quality per se, as I have not handled enough of the Taiwanese made reels to be able to come to a definitive quality conclusion. I have read of folks having pinion problems with the newer 5.3:1 reels, and others say level wind pawls wear more rapidly. I did have defective spool bearings in one of my Asian 7000's that ABU took care of very promptly.

Overall, my 3 Asian 7000's cast just fine, seem to have good machining, and nice finish. Omoto Taiwan, the parts supplier/builder of these Asian reels, seems to do OK by me so far. If interested cwm15.gif

SS

My levelwind failed before one season was over.  I removed it.  Also it whines when I cast it.  I understand that the made in Sweden versions don't whine.  That's what I've been told.  Not real happy with the reel to tell you the truth. BTW mine is the Chinese version.

Edited by Birdsnester

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

My levelwind failed before one season was over.  I removed it.  Also it whines when I cast it.  I understand that the made in Sweden versions don't whine.  That's what I've been told.  Not real happy with the reel to tell you the truth. BTW mine is the Chinese version.

Add a drop of 3-1 oil to your bearings....

I have 2 Chinese abu's a 7000-IC3 and a 7000 pro rocket,they both leave me with nothing desired and are fully stock parts.

I have several omotos as well and they have been perfect as the abu's have been.

I have fished with an old 700 big game and it felt like it was mine but,it was not.

also have a few Ming-Yangs that have held up after quite a few years fishing with one showing small signs of corrosion on the side plate,for the very low cost when I bought them they have paid for themselves many time over.

many of them paid for themselves on the first night out with the amounts of fish caught.

HH

H&H PlugWerx LDP 651.JPG

H&H PlugWerx LDP 649.JPG

H&H PlugWerx LDP 886.JPG

Heavy action pix 019.JPG

Heavy action pix 049.JPG

Heavy action pix 067.JPG

Heavy action pix 068.JPG

Edited by Roddy

8 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I've used Sweden made, Omoto made and 7000 size Hubilie reels. They all worked fine. 

I have had the very same thing JZ,,they all worked as they are supposed to.

HH