Surfslinger

My take on Asian ABU 7000's

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

For many years, when you bought a new 7000/7000C you expected to see "Made in Sweden" stamped on the reel... It was a given, stamped prominently and proudly on the reel.

Then a few years back, we started seeing reels with "Assembled in Sweden" stamped with less prominent lettering,

DSC_0327.jpg

and that great reel foot sticker stating "Designed inspected and assembled in Sweden from components made in Taiwan to ABU Garcia's specifications".

DCP_1688.JPG

The next version of 7000's has/had no side-plate stamping of where it was made or assembled, and we are left with just "AMBASSADEUR", and the reel foot sticker.

DCP_3637.jpg

Finally, as best I can tell, it's a box that has a "Made in Taiwan" sticker (stealthily placed on the bottom of the box), and "AMBASSADEUR" stamped on the side-plate.

Some sure bet clues of Taiwanese manufacture are shiny silver spools with a pin, and drag stars with points. Also look at the graphics. Old black Big Game reels had the "C" in the word "Collection" never intersect with the "G" of Game. Of course it was also stamped with "Made in Sweden" as well.

DCP_3634.JPG

The newer Taiwanese BG's have an intersecting "C", smaller font, and only "AMBASSADEUR" on the side-plate.

7000cl020br.jpg

I'm not commenting here on the overall quality per se, as I have not handled enough of the Taiwanese made reels to be able to come to a definitive quality conclusion. I have read of folks having pinion problems with the newer 5.3:1 reels, and others say level wind pawls wear more rapidly. I did have defective spool bearings in one of my Asian 7000's that ABU took care of very promptly.

Overall, my 3 Asian 7000's cast just fine, seem to have good machining, and nice finish. Omoto Taiwan, the parts supplier/builder of these Asian reels, seems to do OK by me so far. If interested cwm15.gif

SS

Derf,

I'm confused.gif . I have posted that manufacturer's site before, and other manufacturer's site's many times in the past w/o any problem as a learning resource. It seems a link to ABU Garcia is OK, yet they proudly LINK alternate places on their site to buy their products at stores other than SOL?

My intent was for information gain/share the knowledge, and I saw nowhere on that page a link, or any other way the ability to buy anything, fishing related or otherwise, thus I felt it was non-commercial. confused.gif

It is very hard to know what is an OK, and what is not. My link could not result in a "lost sale" for the site the way I see it, yet this thread:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=375398

that had a lot of exposure with spelled out web address, (not linked) selling direct competitive products still stands. confused.gif**(it was since edited - TimS

Obviously your call, but the logic and definition of "commercial link" seems fuzzy to me.

SS

I just want a good product. I have not looked at the new reels, but they do cast like a charm. As long as they perform then I am happy. I did notice that they don't have the lifetime warranty anymore.

Btw I did see a Diawa stamped on the side with Japan and I wonder if they make them there anymore.

Obviously your call, but the logic and definition of "commercial link" seems fuzzy to me.

SS

Everybody fuzzy....now you fuzzy too...

I'm sure he didn't single ya out SS, we cant expect these guys to catch everything all the time wink.gif

Interesting thread, I gotta check my reels, I'm happy with them but ya got me thinking which aint always easy smile.gificon14.gif

Surfslinger, I have come across a 7000 CS Pro Rocket with "Made in Sweden" printed on the box, a sticker with "Made in Sweden" on the reel foot, alumunium spool in gold anodised but no made in Sweden on the side plate. Could this be an older model actually made in sweden ?

fuzzy to me sometimes too hammer-time.gif

personaly i draw the line at a 'hot link' ; if ya want to spell it out i have no problem with it because it really isn't a 'link'...it's just posted info ..

-------------------

example :

telling someone ya can get it at stripers on line's store (spelling it out ) is ok

---------------------------------------- ON LINE STORE

this wouldn't be because it is a 'hot' link

(i just used the SOL link cause it's safe )

imho if you want to post info spell it out , cause then it's not a 'link'

sorry for any confusion ..

derf

What I'm gonna say is what I believe, and should be taken as such.

IMO, ABU was playing loose with "Made in Sweden" and some of the reels fell into a period of flux/switch over to Taiwan. I'm sure your reel, or most of it was made/assembled in Sweden, but I'm 99.999% sure it has some Taiwanese parts. Anytime you have to go to stickers, something is changing IMO.

Perhaps ABU will make some of their more prestigious 7000 sized reels in Sweden for nostalgia, and quality impressions sake, but their margins would be much fatter with Taiwanese production.

Here is what I consider a reel made in the period of flux:

It's a 7000CL Big Game I owned, that has the smaller, "C" intersecting "Big Game" font, and a non stamped "AMBASSADEUR" side-plate, yet says made in Sweden? This reel was also made using red grease, which is almost always associated with Omoto made 7000's. I really think this reel was a joint effort, not strictly Swedish.

IMG_4354.JPG

How close are Omoto brand reels, and ABU 7000's... well, the top picture mosaic is from an Omoto 777, my single picture below it is from a Taiwanese 7000C3 I own:

Omoto777.jpg

DCP_1705.JPG

They are EXACTLY the same, cept the newer Taiwanese 7000's have a blue plastic shielded drive shaft bearing as shown in the first pic, and can be clearly seen because the brass spacer that rests on top is removed.

Again, what I am saying is conjecture, and will continue to be unless ABU or Omoto want to join the thread, and confirm or deny.

SS

Not really a big deal to me either, other than I find all the shucks and jives, and sticker gyrations interesting.

Thanks Silence.

The blue plastic bearing shields seems OK, but Taiwanese 7000's w/o the 3rd drive shaft bearing get a rubbery plastic bushing. If you want to upgrade the drive shaft bearing on your 7000, the correct size is 9x17x5.

Smaller non IAR ABU reels seem to stick with a metal shielded shaft bearing, and any of the IAR reels will have a German made INA one-way bearing pressed into the side plate.

SS

I dont get it, if the parts are the same why is it such a big deal that they are assembled in Taiwan?

My sentiments exactly. As long as the parts use materials and machined to tolerance specs mandated by Abu, there is no difference to me.