Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Churchman

Whats your best "Jury Rig"

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I think mine was a Bic pen used as a Carb on a VW, Circ 76. Carb went in New Hampshire and the Pen got me to NJ, at 35 MPH. Twisty tied the pen to air cleaner holder and let the gas come out the vent in the pen shaft, Down the carb. The butterfly was also wired open. Lots a RPM's thru the toll booths, but it worked biggrin.gif Your Turnsmile.gif

View PostUsing a pack of juceyfruit gun to get from the blind to the launch when the gasline started to leay and we were out of tape. PS In late Dec

How come you didn't gut a Duck and use the small intestine. Thought everybody new that onewink.gif

View PostWas mountain biking in a local park and got a flat. I didn't have a spare so I took the tire off the rim and packed it full of grass. I was able to ride it 5 miles back home.smile.gif

Sweet, never would of thought of that smile.gif

View PostI think mine was a Bic pen used as a Carb on a VW, Circ 76. Carb went in New Hampshire and the Pen got me to NJ, at 35 MPH. Twisty tied the pen to air cleaner holder and let the gas come out the vent in the pen shaft, Down the carb. The butterfly was also wired open. Lots a RPM's thru the toll booths, but it worked biggrin.gif Your Turnsmile.gif

driving to the tire shop to get my spare fixed i get a blowout on the front that you can put your finger into, had my trusty and rusty bait knife under the seat so i cut a plug with a barb on the end from a piece of tree branch to fit the hole. filled the tire with fix a flat and made it about 5 miles to the shop with plenty of air to spare.

when i get there the guy says, "did you know there is a piece of wood in your tire"cwm13.gif . i just said, "really".

I had an alternator sieze on me while driving on the turnpike.It shredded the serpentine belt.Had to use the elastic off of my underwear to drive the fan.They got me home!

View PostWas mountain biking in a local park and got a flat. I didn't have a spare so I took the tire off the rim and packed it full of grass. I was able to ride it 5 miles back home.smile.gif

I thought I knew everything about jury-rigging but have to admit this raises the bar considerably, wink.gif nice job speed.

Maybe I can still compete in the "most active jury rigs" category.

On a ski trip in northern Vermont with a friend. It was dark, very cold and snowing hard. Decided to take a different way back to the hotel as a shortcut. Bad mistake. We had gotten to the top of a mountain pass when the alternator crapped out killing the battery. Managed to coast down the hill for a couple of miles and ended up at a small general store to warm up. Fixed the alternator by removing the brush assembly and replacing the brushes with the ones from the blower motor. Nice thing about the BMW is the VR and brush assembly come out of the back of the alternator. All you need is a phillips screwdriver. Had to file the brushes down a bit with a rock to make them fit. Stuffed them back into the alternator. Jump start the car and we were on our way.

Lost the keys to my 66 mustang, took a piece of speaker wire and ran it from the positive on the battery to the inginition coil. Jumped the started relay with a pair of pliers and off we went. The battery lasted 3 hrs to get me home!! Burnt out the coil and the rotor cap, but better than killing the key ignition.

View PostLost the keys to my 66 mustang, took a piece of speaker wire and ran it from the positive on the battery to the inginition coil. Jumped the started relay with a pair of pliers and off we went. The battery lasted 3 hrs to get me home!! Burnt out the coil and the rotor cap, but better than killing the key ignition.

Yup I did the same thing too for a friend on a 65 stang, BUT he has both of us beat!

Car got rear ended and the trunk would not close nor would the tranny go into park anymore(drivetrain shifted).

He went McGuiver Flintstone on it :

1. Tied a big arse rock to the trunk lid to hold it closed.

2. Carried a brick as a parking assist device.

clapping.gif

PS dig the flat tire filled with grass, gotta remember that one!cwm15.gif