Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Montana_Mac

Cold in FL

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I live in Port Charlotte area and it has been cold here - 26 degress this morning. To give you an idea this was a local fishing report

During this prolonged cold weather will most likely see lots of dead or dying fish,

In fresh water it never gets below 33 degrees or it turns to ice. "32 degrees"

Salt water can get much colder.

In charlotte Harbor a cold front means north or northeast winds,

which blows the water out of the harbor.making the flats very shallow

and the water temperatures may be in the twenties too cold for fish

to survive. Small fish like sand brim, pin fish, will be dying by the thousands,

Snook start to sleep at a water temp of 60 and start to die below 50,

and the water in the shallows is in the 20s, Not good, all we can do is hope for

the best.

F.W.C. is out in force giving tickets to people picking up, cast netting, or harvesting snook

While they are floating along half dead. Yes it is a shame to see them dying for no good

purpose, and it would be better to eat them, rather than letting them go to waste,

But the tickets can go as high as $1,500.oo so watch out.

this is a case of doing the right thing. or "moral good", Verses being legal.

Hopefully it will warm this week

Yeah it's really bad here now. There were dead fish all over the beach today. Saw tons of catfish, spadefish, ladyfish, snapper, grouper and a snook all washed up. There were a few fish hanging in the calmer shallows trying to stay warm. I didn't even try to get them because I felt so bad for them..they're in survival mode right now.

I'm sure it will be more of the same after tonight.

Had sleet on Sat, over night low was 21 sunday am and this am it was 18 water temp probably in 30's backwater canal had thin skim of ice,lot of fish kill being reported . In panhandle probably lower temp.

Walked along the beach at lighthouse end of Sanibel - lots of dead fish including snook - one over 30 inches. TV report showing lots of dead fish -especially snook on Pine Island.

I hit the lottery this year - longest cold snap in last 80 years. Biggest fish kill in 20 years. Will get worse as air temps will be in low 30s again tonight.