Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Haddock

Colton "Tradewinds" Fly Rods .. line weights

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I know there are lots of personal preferences .. but are most owners using the designated weight lines with their Colton "Tradewinds" rods or using higher weight or + lines?

I have read the rods are super fast.

Just purchased a 10wt and want to know if a SA Striper Intermediate 10wt will do the trick or if I need to get an 11wt line?

Theres one way to find out. Try it & see. Not trying to be smart but different people cast differently & some like this & some like that. Or you could contact Bob ( Foulhook ) A member here & ask him. He's the owner of the company.

sure there are preferences .. but I really don't have lotsa lines lying around to try .. this is my first salt rod and I'll end up buying the line off the net .. so looking for what folks are currently using on their Colton rods and whether they felt they should have overloaded

thanks for responding tho

I would deff contact Bob aka foulhook. He is a great guy and would be able to help you out the best. Let us know how you make out and what u choose.

View Postsure there are preferences .. but I really don't have lotsa lines lying around to try .. this is my first salt rod and I'll end up buying the line off the net .. so looking for what folks are currently using on their Colton rods and whether they felt they should have overloaded

thanks for responding tho

Again PM foulhook & he'd be glad to assisted you.

The answer to this question, which comes up regularly, is to try a rod of the recommended weight, and see how it goes.

The line that works best has as much to do with the particular caster's stroke, and preferences, as it does with the rod. There is also significant variation between individual rods of the same make and model and line weight; they're not as identical as you might think.

View PostI know there are lots of personal preferences .. but are most owners using the designated weight lines with their Colton "Tradewinds" rods or using higher weight or + lines?

I have read the rods are super fast.

Just purchased a 10wt and want to know if a SA Striper Intermediate 10wt will do the trick or if I need to get an 11wt line?

CH,

I don't know if you have a fly shop close by...but they should be MORE than happy to let you cast one of their reels with both a 10 and 11 wt line. (if they are a good shop)

Here's my .02....If most of your fishing will have you making short casts go with the 11 wt line. Longer....stay with the 10. This rod is FAST! A lot like a Sage TCR IMO. Regardless.....be sure to ask BOB. He has spent far more time with this rod than I have.wink.gif

Hey There,

I believe your PO's are on my desk right now. 2 Tradewinds 10#?

This is a very difficult question to answer without seeing your cast. Also difficult because there are so many different tapers on the market today. Are you fishing from a boat or the surf?

Personally I use 10# line with the 10# Tradewinds but everyone is different. Flats Addict is correct that for shorter casts with larger flies going lineup is a good idea. I do this when throwing large poppers and sliders, but it's the only time I go up one line weight.

Personally I feel that the Wulff Lines pair with my rods the best. Maybe it's just me, who knows. I fell in love with Wulff's BTT lines back when I was still using Loomis rods. I still think it is the best taper on the market. The Airflow Cold Saltwater Ridgelines are also a very good match.

I have thrown the SA Mastery SB line with the 10 weight Treadewinds and it too throws well. I know that line gets a bad wrap from time to time but it's still in my top 5 favorites.

As others have suggested, feel free to call anytime and ask what ever questions you have.

Tight lines and hope that helps..Bob

Thanks for reply .. yes that will probably be my order.

I'll take a look at the lines you suggest.

Fishing will be a mix of shore, boat and maybe even kayak so can't really tune the line that much .. the few times I have been out in the salt I have used a 7wt and it really was not enough to chuck the flies (hence my choice of 10wt), especially into the wind. So sometimes it will be a shortline out of a boat and sometimes as much as I can get out there .. hmmm not that helpful huh!

Although my local fly shop is very helpful, I don't like to try a bunch of stuff out there and then stiff him and buy it on the net at 1/2 the price.

Its sounding like I should get a 10wt line this time and if I don't like it then then jump up next time.

View PostThanks for reply .. yes that will probably be my order.

I'll take a look at the lines you suggest.

Fishing will be a mix of shore, boat and maybe even kayak so can't really tune the line that much .. the few times I have been out in the salt I have used a 7wt and it really was not enough to chuck the flies (hence my choice of 10wt), especially into the wind. So sometimes it will be a shortline out of a boat and sometimes as much as I can get out there .. hmmm not that helpful huh!

Although my local fly shop is very helpful, I don't like to try a bunch of stuff out there and then stiff him and buy it on the net at 1/2 the price.

Its sounding like I should get a 10wt line this time and if I don't like it then then jump up next time.

Why don't you just give a buzz before I ship this stuff. I may have an idea on how you can figure out what you want for line without having to get stuck with what ever you buy.

Bears Den has the Wulff BTT in 11 wt on clearance, check it out. I have been really wanting to try that line out based on Bob's recomendation. Personally I have and like the outbound shorts, I primarily wade fish.

I have a 10 wt Colton leviathin that I purchased through sol. When I bought it a air flow cold salt water 10 wt line was included. I went to a local field today to cast it and I was able to cast the entire line. I didn't have a popper attatched to it but I'm confident that I can cast fine with that line. Never casted the trade wind but the leviathin is definately a sweet rod. I would like to thank the man that sold me the rod and bob for designing such a great product.