Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marty_mccarty

10" curlytail grubs, rigging methods

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

i ordered some Kalins 10" big game grubs sight unseen from a catalog because i needed to spend a few more $$ to get the discount.

these things are huger than i expectedcwm31.gif ... the body is like 5" i think.... wondering how to rig them. I will cast them from shore, so the humongous 12-20oz jig heads are not an option. I need the total weight to be no more than 2.5-3oz for the aplication i have in mind. I suppose i could always stick them on a 5oz jig head and hit the canal.

i thought about rigging them with some nail wieghts in the body and a 10/0 hook rigged somewhere in the middle. I'm nervous about it pinwheeling though

also thought about a smaller jig with a large hook like a pt. jude wobble head but i'm finding any jig that's light enough for what i have in mind the hook won't be large enough. Is anybody aware of a 1-2 oz jig with a huge oversized hook?

anybody chime in?

Try a point jude wobble head 1.5 oz size or an eel tin of you desired weight if you have them laying aound.You can cut back some of the body to get the desired length. I have used the 6 and 8 inch in black with success.

The hogie 1 oz sled might serve you if you impale it of the hook, haven't tried that set up though headscratch.gif

Take the wobble head and add two split rings and then the hook of your choosing. The two split rings help to get the hook and wobble head to be asymetrical.

View PostTry a point jude wobble head 1.5 oz size or an eel tin of you desired weight if you have them laying aound.You can cut back some of the body to get the desired length. I have used the 6 and 8 inch in black with success.

The hogie 1 oz sled might serve you if you impale it of the hook, haven't tried that set up though headscratch.gif

There are tons of ways to rig them. My favorite for curlytails is a trailer on a bucktail. Many companies (cabelas shad ones are surprisibgly good for the price) give you theboption of a 7/0 on jigheads as another way. You could also throw it with a plain hook ( I prefer offset) or you could put in belly weights lunker city makes nice ones

You could always rig them on a bucktail with a smaller hook then what you'd like, and then tie some dacron or braid to the shank of the bucktail hook, run it through the grub, and tie a secondary hook into the belly of the bait, this way you have a tandem rigged bucktail grub. Thats a huge grub though, I'd fish it in inlets, good luck with it.