Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

It costs $12,500 per year for each HS student in my district

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

how on earth can it cost this much to have a guy incarcerated ?

"New Jersey has about 25,600 state inmates, and it costs an average of $48,000 per year to keep each incarcerated."

Are they getting surf and turf nightly?

What the hey! mad.gif

View Posthow on earth can it cost this much to have a guy incarcerated ?

"New Jersey has about 25,600 state inmates, and it costs an average of $48,000 per year to keep each incarcerated."

Are they getting surf and turf nightly?

What the hey! mad.gif

In CA, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association ( CCPOA ) wields formidable political power.

Maybe correctional officer unions in NJ do too, HJ.

View PostIn CA, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association ( CCPOA ) wields formidable political power.

Maybe correctional officer unions in NJ do too, HJ.

that's why I posted it up lichum

really no different than a cop in the suburbs of NJ making $100,000 a year

the unions control us and we the majority of the paying taxpayers don't even have a clue! mad.gif

Just look at the meeting Obama called with the union heads. He's trying to keep them happy in spite of his cadillac tax.

We have become de-sensitized to happenings like this.

If you look at this objectively there is an obvious question.

Who the **** are they?

Why are their concerns more important than those of the average Joe?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-union, as a matter of fact I'm retired from one.

What percentage of the population do they represent? ( I know, I know, the ones that donate millions to the DNC)

Just look at it from the stand point of a non union guy or the elderly who are going to get it royally.

He'll sit down with this special interest group, but for the rest of the country, no transparency at all. All back room wheeling and dealing. These are the actions he should be ashamed of, not us liberating half the world.

It's known that a majority of the people don't want this crap, yet they forge ahead with it.

Absolutely disgusting and those that back Him and his quest are the true un-Americans.

If you want this country to be like Europe for some reason, then get the hell out and go over there.

View PostJust look at the meeting Obama called with the union heads. He's trying to keep them happy in spite of his cadillac tax.

We have become de-sensitized to happenings like this.

If you look at this objectively there is an obvious question.

Who the **** are they?

Why are their concerns more important than those of the average Joe?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-union, as a matter of fact I'm retired from one.

What percentage of the population do they represent? ( I know, I know, the ones that donate millions to the DNC)

Just look at it from the stand point of a non union guy or the elderly who are going to get it royally.

He'll sit down with this special interest group, but for the rest of the country, no transparency at all. All back room wheeling and dealing. These are the actions he should be ashamed of, not us liberating half the world.

It's known that a majority of the people don't want this crap, yet they forge ahead with it.

Absolutely disgusting and those that back Him and his quest are the true un-Americans.

If you want this country to be like Europe for some reason, then get the hell out and go over there.

Dave,

This is one of the top posts of 2010

congratulations, a post well done!

View Postthat's why I posted it up lichum

the unions control us and we the majority of the paying taxpayers don't even have a clue! mad.gif

I highly doubt that a shift in East Jersey State Prison is the equivalent to a shift on the mean streets of Short Hills or Alpine.

View PostI highly doubt that a shift in East Jersey State Prison is the equivalent to a shift on the mean streets of Short Hills or Alpine.

No, probably not. But CO is no picnic in max or super max. There are some real slime bags there.

But it does frost my bacon when I see flatfoots in suburbia being paid as much, sometimes more, than Thin Blue Line LEO's in the inner cities. Something just ain't right with that. cwm13.gif

It occurs to me, that we taxpayers just stand in line waiting to get reamed royally by the Feds, the State, and our local municipalities. frown.gif..mad.gif

View Postthat's why I posted it up lichum

Your or someone else posted that ~ 25 % of the employed people in NJ are employed by the state of NJ.

A percentage that high surprised me.

Willie Brown, a prominent CA DEM, said the CA public employee compensation package has to examined and adjusted.

Across the country, taxpayers will increasingly voice opposition to the value of government employees' total compensation packages.

Last I heard, average CA private sector employee annual income is ~ $57K. Average CA state employee annual income is ~ $84K.

Private sector compensation packages, present and future, are at risk of being reduced or eliminated but public sector compensation packages are almost risk free by comparison.

The lower risk public sector compensation packages have a higher dollar value than the higher risk private sector compensation packages which represents an inversion of the risk-reward concept.

Private sector employees recognize and resent this risk-reward inversion: "State employees not only get more than I do but it's guaranteed for life."

View Postcan you imagine ... get paid upwards of $100,000

i wonder how much would it be worth to me to have some dirtbag throw feces at me when i walk by his cell?

BTW- we have 5% of the world's population and 25% of its prisoners

warehousing criminals doesn't work- they get out sometime unless they are lifers

three strikes and other punitive sentencing laws are filling our prisons up with non-violent offenders

maybe we have higher crime rates than other countries, or don't summarily execute people like china des, but having as many people as we do behind bars tells me there is a problem there

View Post

what happened to the tough-on-crime reps? that's about 5 bucks an hour. Otis the drunk probably cost Mayberry more when you count up Barney Fife's pay plus the cost of one bullet.

Here is an article on pensions and the costs to society. Baltimore's mayor pled down to a misdemeanor so she could keep her pension. $83,000 a year for life.

Public Servants? Ha!

Friday, January 08, 2010 - Ron Smith

For years, I've been snickering at the pious B.S. from politicians who invoke their dedication to "public service" as a mantra testifying to their innate goodness. They are not public servants in any real sense of the phrase, but rather public rulers, perched atop a system that rewards them and those who work for them, people in the public sector, disproportionately well compared with those who labor in the private sector and have to pay for those ever-increasing salaries and benefits and, most of all, for the gold-plated pensions public sector unions and their political allies are looting from the public treasury.

The Sheila Dixon plea-bargain here in Baltimore, under which she resigns as Mayor but will keep her lavish government pensions (she will get one from the state as well as the city) and will have no criminal record if she keeps her nose clean during an unsupervised probationary period, has brought this racket into focus for anyone paying the slightest attention. This is all to the good, because we are being victimized big time in what is turning out to be the makings of a class war between government workers and their families and the rest of us. The current issue of Reason Magazine features a cover story by Steven Greenhut titled "Class War: How Public Servants Became Our Masters." It's not yet available Online, so let me just pass along some of the more important points he makes in it. (Programing Note: Steven Greenhut will join Ron today during the 3:00 hour)

"The average federal salary (including benefits) is set to grow from $72,800 in 2008 to $75,419 in 2010, CBS reported. But the real action isn't in what government employees are being paid today; it's in what they're being promised for tomorrow."

"In June 2005, BusinessWeek reported that more than 14 million public servants and 6 million retirees are owed $2.37 trillion by more than 2000 different states cities and agencies, numbers that have skyrocketed since then. State and local pension payouts, the magazine found, had increased 50 percent in just five years."

These huge pension increases are destroying public finances, most spectacularly in California, but this is a fatal disease that is infecting most of the nation's governments. One way to keep abreast of these matters is to check out the stories gathered daily at pensiontsunami.com.What they detail is, according to Mr. Greenhut, going to wash away state and local government budgets and large portions of the incomes of most Americans. "Most of these benefits are vested," he writes, "meaning they have the standing of a legal contract. They cannot be reduced."

So the average private sector worker, who makes less and has lower benefits than those people affixed to the teat of government, will have to work longer, retire later, and pay more so the government employees can continue to enjoy the higher standard of living to which they've become accustomed. Plus, since so much of the taxpayer's income will go to this purpose, public services will drastically worsen. There won't be money enough to pay for the things that might actually benefit the public.

One doesn't have to possess an unusually active imagination to realize how this scenario is going to play out. Resentment will build and there will be great public pressure to reform the current corrupt system.The class warfare that Steven Greenhut warns us about will be, like all wars, messy and unpredictable.

Whether Sheila Dixon and all the other government retirees continue to get what's been promised them in retirement is certainly in question, but we're grateful that her sordid story has at least made more people aware of this scandalous looting of the public treasury.

WBAL Radio Baltimore