Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martin28

shrimp

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

im going to cancun in february. I am going to be shore fishing. I will be bringing DOA shrimp as well as gulp shrimp. For both of these i need to what the best size as well as COLOR is best. Also how to rig the gulp shrimp? Any tips on shore fishing in cancun will be appriciated. Thanks -Steve

there is no best color or best lure or best rod or best line. What worked for someone last year might not work for this year. Bring a variety of baits and find out for yourself. ask the locals for help not many people on this board have fished cancun

I thought I responded to this thread already, I guess it didn't take my post. Anyway, I'll say it again. I don't know what your fishing for, or anything about DOA shrimp (what ever that stands for), but I do know a little about Gulp shrimp. I know that it worked nicely for me when fluke fishing, the white color, in both 3" and 4" was a good producer for me, (the 4" caught me some keepers when they were far and in between).

I've heard the new penny color worked well from party boats fluke fishing, I've only tryed that color once and it wasn't a big producer for me atleast.

One thing I will say, is all my years of fishing (about 14yrs), I've learned no matter what species of fish I'm targeting, white never seems to be a bad choice. This does not mean that white is always the best choice, but it never seems to be a bad one.

Whether it be throwing spinners for trout, throwing bass spinners for largemouth, poppers for striper, soft plastics for fluke, swimmers for stripers.. white is a color that will usually get bit.

I've also learned with Gulp 95% of the time the scent seems to be more important then the color. I've seen people using black gulp for fluke and catching (in daylight). I've also learned gulp doesn't seem to work its magic as much in cold water, the scent just doesn't release as much. I couldn't get a flounder to touch the sandworm gulp.

Oh, by the way, this is what I would do if I wanted to simply catch something, and didn't know what I was going for. I'd use a small shrimp (the 3" size in white), on a jighead 3/8oz, 1/2oz or 3/4oz depending on what you can get away with. Then I'd tie a dropper loop about 14" above it and rig a small second hook which I'd put a 3" swimming mullet on (in either white or chartruese color). The 3" swimming mullet will imitate a little baitfish, and no matter where your fishing your going to have small baitfish.

Usually I'd use a 4" swimming mullet, but the 3" mullet and shrimp should better your odds of catching something.

Oh, and for how to fish it, cast out and simply jig/hop the bait along, try hopping it in place, and then drag it along the bottom a couple feet and continue the jig/hop process.

Almost 15 years ago I went snorkeling off Cancun. The company that took us surprised us by taking a large bag of shrimp pieces on the last dive of the day. As soon as the took a few pieces of teh shrimp, there fish all over. I remember being literally in the middle of a school of all types of fish.

The shrimp they used like they were a whitish color and were pieces not whole shrimp. I'm sure that was to conserve costs. I've never seen so many fish as I did on that last dive.

Hope that helps.

I like the Gulp product in general, but you'd be wise to use frozen shrimp. I've caught Pompano, Ladyfish, Whiting and Jack Crevalle from the beach on Florida's West Coast - the other side of the same body of water into which you'll be casting. I've had Gulp Shrimp on one hook of a Hi-Lo rig and frozen shrimp on the other hook. The Gulp did not produce.

I have to believe you can find frozen or dead shrimp down there. I use elastic thread to keep them on the hook, and dead stick with a 2 oz pyramid sinker.

If the water is as calm on the west side of the Gulf, you should be ok with that set up. Bring a small sand spike!

New penny, natural, and white work great here but i don't know about in Florida. I would say get some 2 and 3 inch new penny and natural, but it depends on what you are fishing for. Frozen shrimp should work just as good but probably better then gulp. You can try the gulp on a bucktail or a jighead and use a baitholder hook for your shrimp.