Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
c4charlie

First Time Ice Fishing with son

18 posts in this topic

Yesterday, my son and I went ice fishing for the first time ever. Since he is only five; my wife and I debated a whole day whether he should go and if he would be able to handle the cold for an entire day.

So glad I made the decision to take him because he did excellent. 5.5 hours of fishing on the ice plus two hour trip there and then back with not even one complaint. I am very proud of him! I went with a good friend that has been ice fishing for many years. Tip-ups and jigging were the methods used.

So much fun running to the tip ups and keeping an eye on those flags. Then we got into some jigging and my little guy stole the show. Jigged up a bunch from a couple different holes including the biggest perch caught. All by himself of course. His methods are text book, feels the bite, lowers the rod just a bit and then bam, solid hookup. Both of us enjoyed the jigging a lot. Next time, i am taking the video camera.

We caught approx 25-30 fish, mainly perch with some sunfish and a couple crappie mixed in. Here are some pics.

Thanks guys for the kind words. I was just lucky to go with a close friend who has been ice fishing since he was a young kid. His parents also lived on the lake we were at for 15 years or so.

Besides the fishing, we had a blast joking around, spotting the flags, doing some tackling on the ice, then the little guy showing us how it is done.

I cooked up the perch tonight. Just some seasoned flour and pan fried them. It was my first time ever and they were very tasty. I thought taking four was going to be enough for us. I sometimes forget that my 3 year old eats just as much if not more than an adult. The couple crappies we got were also tasty.

The only thing I noticed when I was cleaning is that a few of the perch had eggs in them. When do perch spawn and is there a way to avoid females. Should I worry about it or what. With stripers, I try to eat only smaller fish between 28-30 so I don't kill fish with eggs.

Here is another pic of the little guy smiling. We made him crack up all day long. With the racing to tip ups. Pretend battling to get to them. He was loving it. I also have a pic of him racing to the tip-up. He ran around a lot.

Thumbs up to you and your little guy! I have a 10 year old daughter that wants to give ice fishing a try. I gave away all my ice fishing gear years before she was born. I got her a jigging rod last Saturday, next I'm going to grab a few tip ups. Then see if I can talk my brother into going out (he has an auger). Hope my girl enjoys it as much as your son. smile.gif