Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dangerboy

Smelt!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Ventured out on Sunday to one of my favorite tributaries of Great bay in search of Smelt. I arrived a little later than I usually do, given the the tide. I Like to fish an hour before and after high tide. I rigged up a pole with two small swedish pimples about a foot apart (One silver w/green flash, and one white) and placed a 1/4" seaworm on each hook. Within a couple minutes I had my first smelt of the year! For luck, I always throw back the first smelt of the day. The luck was working. As soon as the lure hit the bottom, I caught another. I put in a second pole, and was pretty busy for an hour, or so. I love the sound of those tails slapping in my bucket.

View PostVentured out on Sunday to one of my favorite tributaries of Great bay in search of Smelt. I arrived a little later than I usually do, given the the tide. I Like to fish an hour before and after high tide. I rigged up a pole with two small swedish pimples about a foot apart (One silver w/green flash, and one white) and placed a 1/4" seaworm on each hook. Within a couple minutes I had my first smelt of the year! For luck, I always throw back the first smelt of the day. The luck was working. As soon as the lure hit the bottom, I caught another. I put in a second pole, and was pretty busy for an hour, or so. I love the sound of those tails slapping in my bucket.

Dangerboy, I was thinking of trying smelt fishing in The Bay this year. Do you think you could PM with some helpful how-to info? Any help is appreciated.