Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sweetbrair

Bahamas fishing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Best area/island for DIY'ers? Any opinions on any topic -flights, car rentals, places to stay, food, time of year to go and fishing would be appreciated. I've never been but would like to take the family. Flying direct from Charlotte NC. Thanks

If you are a first-timer, a couple of days with a good guide is a wise investment. Otherwise, expect a huge learning curve and few fish, if any.

Every island in the Bahamas has decent bonefishing. Some areas get a lot of pressure. IMO, if it is billed as great DIY fishing, it probably gets hammered. Sniff around! You will have to rent a car. If you know how to handle a boat, a 13-17 footer will get you to a lot of flats not accessible from shore.

December - February is iffy anywhere in the Bahamas. If you want to go before April, go as far south as possible to avoid cold fronts. Autumn can be great when you miss the hurricanes.

Happy hunting!

I would think the best fishing spots are not in the resort areas. So thats something to think about. Does the family want to do a fishing Vacation or do the want all the comforts of the hotels ETC. I'm sure you can hook up with both but like I said the fishing lodges are in different areas. I suggest you do a google search for both. Fishing in the bahama's & the Bahama's in general. Good Luck & what ever you do bring a rod!

There's a book called "The Bahamas Fly Fishing Guide", put out in 2005. Google it. When I was researching a trip last year I found it was still very relevant/accurate.

Andros is probably the most popular island for those seeking bigger fish. You will get fewer shots but they are larger on average. Although this will probably not be the best for DIY wading. Abaco is popular too. You can find all kinds of info on the web, its all going to depend on what you want. Also, do a search here, there are some guys who have recent, specific information and are willing to talk if you PM them.

Howdy,

A nice play to stay is Chez Pierre at Simms, Long Island. Its nice and comfy, very affordable, good food and they can put you in contact with very good and still affordable guides (which you should get for a day or two, ask for Locksley Cartwright!) You'll find them in Vletases Bahamas Fishing Guide as well. There is decent to good DIY Bonefishing at hand.

Another option is Eleuthera/Duck Inn Cottages. Lots of DIY but just about as much fishing pressure (obviously) , you will have to drive around and find the decent spots.

Both places are fine for non-fishing companions.

Cheers,

Sixgunner

I've done Eluthera and it's decent. I've also heard that Cat Island is good. Just do your homework, you don't want to waste time (money) running around. Knowing the tides beforehand is helpful in setting up an itinery. And most importantly, make time for exploration (look at maps before you get there). Some of the better spots we found were not mentioned anywhere.