Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

herring, can you use them for 2010

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

5)It is unlawful for any person to harvest, possess or sell river herring in the Commonwealth or in the waters under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth. These measures will expire on January 1, 2012.

No, and I would assume the ban will be renewed after 2012.

A few herring runs showed "improved" numbers, I don't believe that any of the stats I've seen quoted would be considered conclusive that even mild progress towards recovery.

if your a native american indian you can ... striperted got his arse chewed by a lady when she was using them and he said its against the law ... she went nuts ... but she didnt ride away on a horse .. so much for being an indian headscratch.gif

View PostYou can still use sea herring when you can get them. Just not river herring.

The ban is not on sea herring.

But a word of warning. You best make sure if your questioned while your fishing with sea herring that the authority who questions you knows the difference between sea and river herring. If he/she can't visually differentiate one from the other your in trouble. Even if they can tell the difference they may just be having a bad day and would like to nail you for the heck of it.

Me? I would never take that chance and leave myself open to an interpertation by a person in authority. There is simply too much to lose. Even if you have a purchase receipt for the sea herring, don't throw the dice and think everything is cool and they will agree with you. There is good and bad out there, why chance it.

Expand your horizons and use lures

View Post

I believe in NH river herring are still legal but don't quote me.

if they are legal up north you are still not allowed to have river herring in your posession in the state of Mass, even if you got them in NH, or RI, or ME, or....

Here's a question: has anyone here actually had any success at a herring run with any type of lure? I have never, ever caught anything at a herring run, and I think it is because the bass have so many live herring around they could care less about any type of artificial.

View PostHere's a question: has anyone here actually had any success at a herring run with any type of lure? I have never, ever caught anything at a herring run, and I think it is because the bass have so many live herring around they could care less about any type of artificial.

They can be had on artificials.

View PostHere's a question: has anyone here actually had any success at a herring run with any type of lure? I have never, ever caught anything at a herring run, and I think it is because the bass have so many live herring around they could care less about any type of artificial.

I have had the opposite experience...highfive.gif

Sure, bass will certainly take lures in and around the run even with herring running. Try to distance yourself from the crowds....I think you will have a better chance at a lone bass that might happen to cruise by.

Swimming shads either 7" or 9" will work as well as Sluggo's, and plastic 7" Gag's Mambo Minnow or Rebel Windcheater both olive back colored. Redfins, custom colored, are also killers.

Yes - at a certain Charles River run (while I won't name the spot, I'm sure a lot of folks know where I'm referring to) as well as the Bourne Run. Typically a 7" 'alewife' sluggo or 6" storm shad...

However, I do agree with you that the ability to catch bass in a herring run is dependent on the ebb and flow of herring during various parts of the day...When herring are particularly thick, bass seem very tough to catch where as when the numbers wane for a bit, bass seem easy to pick off.