Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinRay

RI Residents must Register with NOAA?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Word is the RI SW License will be available in April. Supposedly, there will be no charge for 2010. If you will be fishing before the RI License is available, I presume you would need to register with the Feds. The text of the Bill is available on the RISAA website. Naturally the law took effect 01/01/2010. Check the text to see if you may be exempt.

From the NOAA registration site:

PLEASE NOTE: If a state license or registration is required for your fishing activity, you will need to have that license or registration in addition (bold text mine)to this federal registration card.

So the NOAA registration isn't enough? The state licence by itself isn't enough? You need both for Stripers and shad? Be a ronin and have neither? Sell all your gear and take up coin collecting?

headscratch.gif

At least the NOAA one is free and they even mail you a waterproof reg./ID card. IMO. From the website wording, this one seems to be for surveys mostly at this time.

The Migratory fish, Tuna/Swordfish etc. non-commercial "boat permit" isn't free though... BUT! The boat permit = keepers and a really fresh dinner! highfive.gif

I've spent more than the $20 they want for it on beer for the day beers.gif

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/PermitList.asp

Don't know about any mailing,,,

Just got mine and had to print the "card" out on line.

Free and about 60 seconds total.

Thanks for the link Fishnray. highfive.gif

From site;

"PLEASE NOTE: If a state license or registration is required for your fishing activity, you will need to have that license or registration in addition to this federal registration card."

Seems we've jumped from No Liscence, to federal, to no fed but a state required, and finally to needing both a state & a Federal???? headscratch.gif And all before the politicians figure out the actual due date (collectively).mad.gif

The way I read the RI law, non-residents who have already registered with the free federal angler registry do not need to buy a RI state non-resident saltwater license. Is that correct?

(I'm a Masshole, and need to know redface.gif ).

-bd

I got my ID card in yesterday and the thing is ready to fall apart already!!! It looks like they printed the damn thing on wax paper! *** so this is what my tax dollars pays for crappy paper!?!?

View PostAt least the NOAA one is free and they even mail you a waterproof reg./ID card. IMO. From the website wording, this one seems to be for surveys mostly at this time.

The Migratory fish, Tuna/Swordfish etc. non-commercial "boat permit" isn't free though... BUT! The boat permit = keepers and a really fresh dinner! highfive.gif

I've spent more than the $20 they want for it on beer for the day beers.gif

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/PermitList.asp

That's the federal Highly migratory species permit.You DON"T NEED IT,unless you fish for tuna,and sharks.

If you are over 16 and fishing for striped bass or herring you now need either a federal or state license. So for RI, technically you need the NOAA permit to fish (as above) between now and whenever RI DEM makes the state license available. Once the state license is available, you will need it to fish RI waters, but not the NOAA permit.

I suspect RI will handle the first year much the same way CT did and make enforcement more of an education effort than anything else. The whole thing is such a confusing mess right now between all the states that I can't imagine any judge actually enforcing it.

View PostThe way I read the RI law, non-residents who have already registered with the free federal angler registry do not need to buy a RI state non-resident saltwater license. Is that correct?

(I'm a Masshole, and need to know redface.gif ).

-bd

I too am A Masshole and Mass. is going to recognize RI's license if RI does the same for MA. rel1

View PostI too am A Masshole and Mass. is going to recognize RI's license if RI does the same for MA. rel1

20-2.2-4. License required.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fish recreationally in the marine waters of Rhode Island without:

(1) A recreational fishing license issued in accordance with the provisions of this chapter; or

(2) A recreational fishing license or registration issued by any other exempted state that affords reciprocity to Rhode Island residents who hold recreational fishing licenses issued pursuant to this chapter; or

(3) A federal saltwater angler registration issued by the national marine fisheries service.

(b) An individual will be considered to be fishing recreationally if they are engaged in the process of angling or spearfishing, or if they possess equipment used for angling or spearfishing and are also in possession of finfish.

Reading the actual letter of the law, that's what it sounds like to me too...

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fish recreationally in the marine waters of Rhode Island without:

(1) A recreational fishing license issued in accordance with the provisions of this chapter; or

(2) A recreational fishing license or registration issued by any other exempted state that affords reciprocity to Rhode Island residents who hold recreational fishing licenses issued pursuant to this chapter; or

(3) A federal saltwater angler registration issued by the national marine fisheries service. [note by me: NMFS = NOAA Fisheries Service]

-bd

View PostOops, my bad. Guess you don't need a RI license if you have the NOAA permit.