Birdhouse placement

Rate this topic

Ben Lippen

Most of them can be seen from the kitchen window or the back steps (back of house faces north), but there are 2 that we can't see, but they have birds most years.

Come to think of it, the only times our bird houses don't have birds are whn the squrils are in them in the spring first. We have had a few years where the houses fell on the ground or were left on a table and they still were used.

View PostI don't know if the orientation matters, but the size of the doorway and the size of the insides does. A gigantic birdhouse will not attract Bluebirds for instance, but squirrels will love it.

Yeah, each bird needs a different everything, redface.gif

That's what led me to ask about placement. I figure since I built these houses to spec., that I'd find some prime locations for them wink.gif

a lot of it depends on the birds they are intended for

in general though, you want some morning sun to dry things out and warm them up

and afternoon shade to cool them

some species are quite fussy- bluebirds come to mind- not too high, not too low, edge of woods on a post

you are less apt to get birds you don't want if you try and make it as attractive as possible to the birds you do want

some designs are also better than others: hole size, interior volume, etc.

purple martins like to nest in groups, for example

reach out to local birders/conservation socities, etc. to see what they recommend for your area

Also Ben....

The height is very important. Some birds only like the tops of trees, others the middle, and still others like to be near the ground. Another consideration is that some birds will nest in the outer branches , while others are nearer the trunk. It's complicated.smile.gif

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

View PostThanks guys. A year of searching for that one good website with actual plans for birdhouses has made me fairly well versed on hole and box sizes, heights off ground, and such for my local species.

What species did you build those for?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black