Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
henryj02

Luxor info please

16 posts in this topic

Bought this reel at a flea market. Was wondering if any one knew how old, value and where I might be able to find schematics for it. Basically any info would be great. Thanks

what ya got there is a Luxor 3LA. Great reel, fish it! in that condition maybe worth $50. I cant really see the markings but here is some info on Luxor reels. This is from the ORCA site from a member there

First the history, (early) LUXOR reels were all designed by Paul Mauborgne. He had them made under his supervision by a company called LLM. LLM delivered the reels to Pezon et Michel that provided the boxes, did the marketing and distribution. The NAME Luxor was owned by Pezon et Michel. The technical patents were owned by Mauborgne.

A little after Mauborgne died the Mauborgne family separated from Pezon et Michel in 1967/68.

The Mauborgne family continued making technically the same reels under the name CRACK.

Pezon et Michel continued using the name LUXOR for different reels (the square Luxor Nr.1 e.g.), as they did not have the rights to the technical part, only the name !

So about the arge size Luxor, it's the older version of the later Crack 300.

Called Luxor Saumon-Mer (Salmon-Ocean)

First version 1940 half-bail, knurd. handle knob, also with Manual p/u

Marked "LUXOR SAUMON MER PEZON ET MICHELL MADE IN FRANCE"

Second version 1949 full bail now with marking "LICENSE P MAUBORGNE"

also available in manual p/u version, sold as Surfcasting

Third version 1954 handle can be folded, also available in manual p/u version, sold as Surfcasting

Fourth version from 1955 - till ? different a/r knob, different handle, also MPU version first marked "A",

Fifth version from ? till 1959 marked "B"

Fifth version from 1960 till 1967 now marked "C"

That's it !

The Crack 300 was made from 1968.

About 5 or 6 different versions exists

First versions marked Bernouville sur Eure (Bernouville is the name of the place were the Mauborgne family lived, Eure is a river).

Versions with manual pick-up marked 300S

Here's a line-up of the LUXORS size 1 with FULL-BAIL :

LUXOR LUXE 1949 inscription "LUXOR PEZON ET MICHELL LICENSE P. MAUBORGNE MADE IN FRANCE BREVETE S.D.G.D." no anti-reverse

LUXOR SPECIAL 1949 foldable handle knob, silent anti-reverse

LUXOR LUXE 1950 with anti-reverse, smooth tapered handle knob

LUXOR LUXE 1953 straight handle, 2 different drag knobs exist green or bronze aluminised

LUXOR SPECIAL 1953 straigt handle, only available in green aluminised

foldable handle knob

LUXOR LUXE A 1955-1963 marked "A", many different small technical changes

LUXOR SPECIAL A 1955- 1963 marked "A", many different small technical changes foldable handle knob

LUXOR MPU 1957 manual p/u with line roller, marked "1G"

LUXOR LUXE RAPIDE A 1960-1963 marked "1R-A", fast retrieve

LUXOR SPECIAL RAPIDE A 1960-1963 marked "1SR-A", fast retrieve, fold. handle knob

LUXOR LUXE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "B"

LUXOR LUXE RAPIDE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "1-RB"

LUXOR SPECIAL RAPIDE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "1 SR - B"

The reel in the photo was my first salt water reel. My dad bought it for me around 1965 or so. The was a Luxor "Seven Seas". You know I can still recall getting that reel for Christmas.heart.gif I was 12 years old. Everynight before going to bed I took it out of the box, and spun the handle a few times to make sure all was well. The reel spent the next 6 months next to me on my nightstand. The first fish I caught on it was a 5 pound pollock on Bell Rd. I couldn't have been prouder if that fish was a 50 pound bass.

thx, that info is on the largest luxor or crack 300. But the lettering A B and C on the reel will give you an idea of how old it is using that info in my post. If im not mistaken i think i see an A on the luxor 3la pic. That would date it in the 50s

Yep Mike puts out some GOOD INFO and it's nce to see when people appreciate it but don't barther waiting for henryj02 to acknowledge , he puts up these questions and never say thank's or even post back.Guess that's the way some people are headscratch.gif

THANK's FOR THE REPLY MIKE.biggrin.gif GREAT INFO highfive.gif

Sorry I didn't say thankyou for the Luxor info quickly enough for some people who read this forum (Kitten 1044). But thankyou for the info on the old luxor reels much appreciated.

View PostYep Mike puts out some GOOD INFO and it's nce to see when people appreciate it but don't barther waiting for henryj02 to acknowledge , he puts up these questions and never say thank's or even post back.Guess that's the way some people are headscratch.gif

THANK's FOR THE REPLY MIKE.biggrin.gif GREAT INFO highfive.gif

cwm27.gif

View PostSorry I didn't say thankyou for the Luxor info quickly enough for some people who read this forum (Kitten 1044). But thankyou for the info on the old luxor reels much appreciated.

lion1044 AKA Kitten1044kiss.giflol

The luxor 100 is still one of my favorite freshwater reels ever. Way ahead of it's time and better then most reels out there today.