Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IronMike

Can a curling bar be used for bench press too?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

If you mean this type of curl bar

I wouldn't suggest it for bench presses since it will twist and turn while trying to bench with it potentially leading to it being dropped or putting your wrists in a very awkward position and causing injury. It's OK for close grip benching (actually better than a straight bar).

If you mean a straight bar that is shorter than an Olympic bar, as long as it gives you enough width to grab the bar outside of the uprights with enough room between your hands and the rack to avoid getting your skin pinched when putting the weight back and you're happy with the width that would be fine.

For that bench , nota good idea. However, I do use a curling bar to finish off my inner pecs after a set of skull-crushers (lying prone on bench tricep routine). I switch it up by holding the bar just as you would for curls (palms up), then lie back and press. Better to hold the curl bar in the wide position for this. Reverse-grip tricep skull-crushers are excellent for muscle confusion too.

Oh yeah, if you want to save $$ don't forget to check craigslist. Killer deals on weights & gym equipment if you know what you are looking for!